Amish Reality Show...

by Country Girl 45 Replies latest jw friends

• gypsywildone
    gypsywildone

Here, we have the Amish, which drive dark gray buggies. then, the "hard Mennonites", who drive black buggies. Also, the "black bumper Mennonites", who drive black cars, but paint all the chrome black. The just Mennonites, who usually drive dark blue or black cars or minivans. There are many different sects, different degrees of "plain". The Amish shun for sure, I don't know of the Mennonites do, but I don't think so. Then there are the people my husband & I refer to as "Mennonites once removed", meaning that they were obviously from a Mennonite family, but now attend some other church & are very religious. You can just look at them & tell. They do not wear the bonnets or hair net covering thing or the Mennonite clothes, but you can tell by looking at them.

I've just put something interesting into a search "Amish birth defects", a whole other ball of wax. Our phone book is loaded wtih Stoltzfus, Martin, Weaver & a bunch of other names like that. All stemming from Amish or Mennonite families, many inter marrying. My aunt was married to a guy from the heart of it all, i don't know, but probably a Mennonite background, judging from the name, & one of her kids was born with a cleft palate. Tons of cleft palates here.

On the whole, I like having them here because I love going from house to house buying beggies cheaper than it would be worth growing them for, & on Fridays some houses bake bread. I also buy from a Mennonite tree nursery, very good stock, tons of nice kids to help me move stuff into my car, etc. & good prices. We also made a deal with Mennonites that milled lumber for our house. Once again, it was the nonsense that they have a phone & message machine in the barn, but they will not answer the phone! They will return the call though. Later. And they come here to cut down trees & remove them to make us anything we want milled, but they hitch a ride with a friend of my mother in law (I suspect a Mennonite once removed). They, along with the "fancy Dutch" (Germans) settled this place, & they speak some variation of Swiss & High German. So here, you have all these variations of Mennonites & regular Amish, then just plain Pennsylvania Dutch.

I work among them a lot at different places, so I have learned how to enjoy them & ignore their frequent references to God, etc. Lots of women with the little white netting hair cover. Something about those kids on that show just seemed awfully sophisticated for Amish people. I can't quite put my finger on it.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Is there any truth to the rumor I just started that the TV show is going to be spun into a Broadway Musical titled:

Amishbehavin'!

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

LMAO @ Nathan!!

TFF!!

Cassi

• lisaBObeesa
  • Dan-O
    Dan-O

Amishbehavin'!

• gypsywildone
    gypsywildone

LOL! He drug his Rumspringa out for EIGHT YEARS???????

Thanks for the link Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit