"The One Mistake All Jehovah's Witnesses Have Made"

by Cameron 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Satanus
    Satanus

Cameron

Alright, at last you let us in on the answer. That's cool.

S

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

I agree with Corvin.

Those who came into the org as adults . . . well . . . I just don't know. There are lots of reasons, I suppose, based on what I have read here on this forum.

Well, I began studying to be a jw when I was 21, and got baptized 2 years later. What can I say? I was just so naive and stupid. I just trusted them. I was partially grew up as a jw because my mom was and is a jw. I just believed whatever they said, and didn't listen to the criticism from outside. Why? Because the jws told me, "They are all evil apostates and lies." I was such a pushover.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Thanks for the update Don. I appreciate previewing the book. I'm glad it is nearly ready to be released. It's thought provoking and every well done. GaryB

• badboy
    badboy

Who was Ros?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

lol, this is discussion is funny, and a good look at adults continuing to be children (completely unwilling and unprepared to deal with reality), which is a form of insanity.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

btw, the conclusion to the above is, "The One Mistake All Jehovah's Witnesses Have Made" is not taking care of our mental health by discarding or heavily discounting, illogical hurtful beliefs.

• Cameron
    Cameron

Farkel said...

"The one BIG mistake we all made happens to also be the fundamental and most important JW doctrine, ergo "the Governing Body speaks for God." We all swallowed this one hook, line and sinker.

True, that was a mistake we all made. But why did we ?swallow this hook, line and sinker?? In my case it was because I failed to carefully examine the Society?s claim of being God?s "faithful and discreet slave organization" based upon what Russell and Rutherford had been teaching down till 1919 in fulfillment of Matthew 24:45-47." If I had not made that mistake I would never have believed that "the Governing Body speaks for God."

That was the big mistake I made. But am I the only one who made it?

Farkel ? didn?t you make this mistake? If you had made the above examination before you got baptized would you have ever believed that "the Governing Body speaks for God"?

It seems to me that everyone must make this mistake before they decide to get baptized as one of Jehovah?s Witnesses. Those who don?t make it don?t get baptized.

Remember how Ray Franz concluded that, "It would be an insult to Christ Jesus to say they he selected this organization on the basis of what it was teaching as of 1919." That?s what he would have concluded if he had made the above examination before he got baptized. The same is true with all the others I mentioned in my original post.

Is there anyone on this Forum (who are former Witnesses) who didn?t make this exact same mistake? Out of 6 million Jehovah?s Witnesses today, is there even one of them who didn?t make it? All the millions of unsuspecting people they are currently studying with are in the process of making it.

Out of the billions of mankind that are left (hopefully who will all read Captives of a Concept), is there one them who could make the above examination and still conclude that "the Governing Body speaks for God"? I don?t see how.

Perhaps if Farkel and others who flinched at "The one mistake all Jehovah?s Witnesses have made" had read the four chapters leading up to Chapter 5, they might not have flinched quite so hard. My statement is in the context that is developed in the previous four chapters.

If anyone would like to see the "Contents" of the book, go to?

http://www.geocities.com/captives_of_a_concept/CaptivesOfaConcept.html

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Six : btw, the conclusion to the above is, "The One Mistake All Jehovah's Witnesses Have Made" is not taking care of our mental health by discarding or heavily discounting, illogical hurtful beliefs.
    Basically ...
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia

I guess that's one of the reasons I never got baptized. I sometimes bought into the concept, but never really accepted it. I preferred to think of the GB as "Bible scholars" aiming at 1st century Christianity, but even then I knew deep down that wasn't necessarily the case. When the Society published statements describing themselves as "God's channel," the F&DS, 1919, etc. etc. I often made fun of such silly statements in my teenage years, and didn't take them seriously until I was leaving. Before that, I really wasn't all aware of 1919 and the Governing Body and all that. Just like I had no idea that there was a resurrection in 1918. I guess because I didn't understand it, I didn't pay attention to it. I did believe that "we were God's people" before that, but that was because we believed the right things and did the right things (i.e. not celebrating Christmas, saluting the flag, etc.).

Is there anyone on this Forum (who are former Witnesses) who didn?t make this exact same mistake?

Well.....yeah. Lots of us on this forum grew up as Witnesses (as unbaptized publishers....that counted as being a Witness when we were in it), but I have no doubt some never bought into the concept, even less than I did, but went along with things for social reasons....

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Well.....yeah. Lots of us on this forum grew up as Witnesses (as unbaptized publishers....that counted as being a Witness when we were in it), but I have no doubt some never bought into the concept, even less than I did, but went along with things for social reasons....
    Yeah ... something was wrong from the start

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit