Rated R movies.....

by candidlynuts 16 Replies latest jw friends

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

how old were you when you saw your first rated r movie?

i was 30 lol it was a movie called crazy people i think .. with dudley moore and daryl hannah

and boy did i feel guilty back then.. i mean they said the F word in that movie!!(which was a word i never heard til i was married) i was a big dudley fan since arthur and after my pioneer bro in law and his pioneer buds all talked about seeing pretty woman i decided the heck with it.. i'm just a mere lil publisher and if THEY can see rated r movies so can i.

seen it.. didnt think it was any big deal. didnt really watch any other rated r ones till a few years later after my ex cheated on me and was disfellowshipped.. he tried to cram a lotta things into his 4 yrs of being df'd that he couldnt do when he was in good standing. he shocked me! he wouldnt go to theaters in case someone seen him but he'd rent movies a lot.

now i have hbo and shotime etc..and watch movies according to what interests me. last night i watched monster with charlize theron and it was a really good movie. its so sad what circumstance does to people. we who have had relatively stable lives find it easy to judge hookers and druggies and criminals.. self righteously saying " they have choices' but as i've opened up more and watched tv, read newspapers and magazines along with reading online and associating with people other than family and jw's, i've come to the conclusion some people do not have choices, or rather the coping skills to get by in life

sometimes i'm so glad i WAS so sheltered all my life.. then other times i wish i'd not been so sheltered and feel guilty that i'm just now learning compassion at almost 40 yrs old.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I think Fast Times at Ridgemont High was the first R-rated flick I ever saw, probably when I was 13 or so. It was, um, very educational for me, I was quite the naive youngster.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

were you too traumatized to ever eat a whole carrot again? LOL

(seen that just a week or so ago .. yup i'd say edgykational fer sure)

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

I was probably 16 when I first saw an R rated movie at a theater. I no longer remember which movie it was, but I DO remember the shocked reaction I got from a Dub (approximately my age) at the hall that Sunday as we talked about the movie.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    were you too traumatized to ever eat a whole carrot again? LOL

I don't remember that part!

I remember a lot of other stuff though -
    "That was my skull - I'm so wasted!"
    "No shirt, no shoes, no dice"
    "When it comes to making out, put on side 2 of Led Zeppelin IV"
    "What are you, on dope?"

And of course the famous poolside boobie scene...

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Well the first R-Rated movie (18 i think over here)was Fatal Attraction...i was about 16 and went with 2 Ministerial servants,i couldnt believe i was in a Cinema watching violence,swearing,sex etc!I even thought of confessing all after to the Parents,but then realized i would possibly get the other 2 in trouble as well(they were only a few years older than me)...added to the fact that i really enjoyed it!

But,Boy, did i jump at the scene she came out of the Bath with a knife.........

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I think the WTS speaks favorably about "Schindler's List" which is R-rated as I understand.

Well, they work together with Spielberg's Shoah Foundation.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

When I was younger, we'd sometimes get HBO & Showtime to come in on our TVs. When I was around 12 or 13 I saw Flatliners that way. I was 17 or so before I actually saw an R-rated movie in the theater. My first was Money Train.

• jws
    jws

I think my first R-rated movie was Stripes with Bill Murray. My brother and I went when I was 14 and he was 13. We convinced our mother we were going to sit through 2 showings of some other approved movie (I think it was one of the Muppet movies). After watching it once, we snuck into the other theater showing Stripes and watched that. We thought it was so funny, we pulled the same stunt the next day with some other approved movie and saw Stripes again as the second show.

Somewhere in the same timeframe, we bought a receiver to pick up HBO (it was broadcast unscrambled - you just needed an antenna that picked up on the right frequency). We hid that in our room for a while until it was discovered. Amazingly, our parents let us keep it after it was discovered. We argued (at the time), that all we were doing was picking up signals out of the air, not stealing. That we weren't going to buy it, and our using it didn't prevent anybody else from getting it. So, we had HBO. But our parents monitored our watching - no R-rated movies. Or, R-rated movies with their supervision. Following traditional screwed-up American values, as long as it was only violent (no matter how violent), it wasn't a problem for our young teenage minds. Once they started swearing too much or there was too much sex/nudity, off it went.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, I saw an R-rated move back the the 70's, Catch-22. It would probably be tame today. I went to MASH and Ordinary People. I never let a rating hold me back, but then I wasn't a brother or a pioneer at the time. No privileges to lose.

Now I go to movies I like, the rating doesn't matter.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit