New Citizens Say GOP Took Away Their Right To Choose

by William Penwell 5 Replies latest social current

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

So this is another way how the Repulicans fix elections:

New Citizens Say GOP Took Away Their Right To Choose

POSTED: 11:31 pm EDT July 5, 2004

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Dario Cruz has lived in the United States for 16 years, but just became a citizen last week as he and about 200 other immigrants were naturalized.

One of the things he had always wanted to was register to vote, but when he was offered the chance to do that right outside the ceremony, he knew something wasn't right -- the place on the form where you're asked to choose Democrat, Republican or independent was already filled out.

"It's like one side," Cruz said. "You don't get to choose."

According to Cruz and his family, every form was checked off Republican.

It was something his wife, Linda Cross, first noticed. She said she asked what was going on, and was told the woman registering voters said they were with a Republican organization.

"I am Republican," she told Channel 4's Jim Piggott. "I was very angry with that if they want to register whatever party, you shouldn't try to dictate to people what party they are going to register; who they are going to vote for, because then you don't have any freedom."

The couple left without registering, but they did tell local Democratic Party officials what happened.

"These new citizens that were coming out and maybe did not know much of what was going on were all registering Republican," Cross said. "Not by choice, but by someone else's choice."

Clyde Collins, who runs the local Democratic Party, says this practice is not right, and as informed federal officials about the incident. They told him an investigation is underway.

"First of all, it violates your fundamental right," Collins said. "You have right to decide which political party you wish to enroll."

Collins says those who were sworn in last week will be contacted and told they have the right to register for the party of their choice.

For Cruz, that is what's important.

"I think you should be able to choose who you want to vote for," he said.

For the record, any registered voter can vote for any candidate of any party in a general election, but in most primaries in Florida, people can only vote for candidates of their own party.

Channel 4 has tried contracting federal officials about this issue since last Friday and have not received a response, nor have local Republican leaders responded. Folio Weekly will have more on this story in this week's paper. Copyright 2004 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. http://www.news4jax.com/politics/3495828/detail.html

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

ohhhhhh, noooooo..... another conspiracy !!!

Looks to me like the work of some individuals rather than the party doing it. It is sooooo blatant, that it is obvious it would have been found out - maybe the Demos did it to 'create' some dirt for the news.... who really knows. Is it right?... NO. Is it Stupid? .... TOTALLY !

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Republicans do it, democrats do it, let's do it like the animals on the discovery channel.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I would have to think that the Republican Party itself would not endorse such tactics.

Will

• wednesday
    wednesday

i do not believe this at all. it smells like demo propaganda

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I am aware that most of the voter registration going on around here is organized by Democrats and Greens (such as they are... ha ha!) but remember, party registration in and of itself means nothing. Just because you are registered Republican doesn't mean that you have to vote Republican, or participate in the primary. so there would be no point in "forcing" or tricking someone into becoming a Republican.

I agree that it is possible that certain overzealous members of the party might try something like this, and it certainly isn't ethical to overwhelm a new citizen; but it is largely harmless and the Democrats are no better, as the analysis of Joe Kennedy's Chicago Machine would tell you...

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit