HELP!! what scripture says, "Lord, Lord did we not prophesy?"

by doogie 16 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby
    help please quick! i'm talking to my mom and i need to know what scripture it is that says,

"Lord, Lord, did we not prophecy in your name and expel demons in your name and perform many powerful works in your name?"

And you thought starting a thread would be quicker than looking it up in the concordence of the bible you have?

Just wondering........what "prophecy" were these supposed christians supposed to be prophecying about? What were the "true christians" suppose to be prophecying about? Did jesus tell them something they were suppose to "prophecy" about? What was it if there was something?

It wasn't about destruction of the ungodly....because he said even he didn't know that day. What was it then?

Gumby

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Just wondering........what "prophecy" were these supposed christians supposed to be prophecying about? What were the "true christians" suppose to be prophecying about? Did jesus tell them something they were suppose to "prophecy" about? What was it if there was something?
    It wasn't about destruction of the ungodly....because he said even he didn't know that day. What was it then?

Just because THEY said they had prophesied in Jesus' name doesnt mean that he had given them the prophecy - JW's are a good example of those who would advance their own ideas under the authority of God's name. It was the condemned ones who said, "Did we not prophesy in your name?" - Jesus' reply was, "I never knew you." So clearly, whatever message they proclaimed did not originate with him.

• gumby
    gumby
    So clearly, whatever message they proclaimed did not originate with him.

Bingo!

Gumby

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The Pauline church placed much emphasis on prophecy as a "gift"; cf. Romans 12:6, 1 Corinthians 11:4, 5; 11:7, 13:7, 14:3-5, 24, 31; 14:39. The last of these Paul says, "Be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues".

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The point isn't that the prophecy wasn't authorized by Jesus, as a sort of false prophecy. All were done in the name in Jesus. Rather, the point is that despite these things, these disciples "didn't practice the Law" (ergazomenoi ten anomian, lit. "practicing the no-Law"), e.g. they were lawless for rejecting the Law. The importance of the Torah was stressed several times throughout the Sermon on the Mount (cf. Matthew 5:17-19; 7:12), and the attitude is analoguous to that of Matthew 5:19 which states that those who "breaks one of the least of these commandments and so teaches others shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven". The Matthean redaction is also unique for stressing the halakic authority Jesus bestowed on his disciples to interpret the Law (cf. Matthew 16:19, 18:18), a very different POV than that of the Paul in Galatians. The Sermon on the Mount even criticizes the way Gentiles worship and treat fellow believers (Matthew 5:47, 6:7). All this (and other details) suggest that the polemic is directed against Paul's Gentile churches, who present themselves as followers of Jesus and who heal the sick and prophecy in Jesus' name but who are "lawless" and thus are only "wolves in sheep's clothing" (Matthew 7:15).

• blondie
    blondie

Good luck, doogie. It is hard to talk to JWs that are still convinced it is "the truth." Usually, something has to happen to them, some unloving treatment by the congregation towards them or someone close to them, to make them wake up. Lying and deception by the elders or elders wives might be a start.

Mine was over the child sexual abuse issue and how the WTS handled it. I did not not need Silentlambs because I had seen how it was handled in the circuit over a 40 year period. Nothing ever changed.

As to prophecy, as I read the WTS older publications, I found these 2 points interesting and illuminating.

1) That until 1943, the WTS had taught that Jesus' presence started in 1874 not 1914. (With a little research, this can be found on the WT-CD; use 1874 as a search word)

2) That the WTS had taught that the end was coming in 1925 and that Abraham, David, Abel, etc., were to be resurrected and rule over the earth in Jerusalem.

This was in the Millions Will Never Die publication

http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/millions/millions.html

A simple calculation of these jubilees brings us to this important fact: Seventy jubilees of fifty years each would be a total of 3500 years. That period of time beginning 1575 before A. D. 1 of necessity would end in the fall of the year 1925, at which time the type ends and the great antitype must begin. What, then, should we expect to take place? In the type there must be a full restoration; therefore the great antitype must mark the beginning of restoration of all things. The chief thing to be restored is the human race to life; and since other Scriptures definitely fix the fact that there will be a resurrection of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and other faithful ones of old, and that these will have the first favor, we may expect 1925 to witness the return of these faithful men of Israel from the condition of death, being resurrected and fully restored to perfect humanity and made the visible, legal representatives of the new order of things on earth.

Messiah's kingdom once established, Jesus and his glorified church constituting the great Messiah, shall minister the blessings to the people they have so long desired and hoped for and prayed might come.

Based upon the argument heretofore set forth, then, that the old order of things, the old world, is ending and is therefore passing away, and that the new order is coming in, and that 1925 shall mark the resurrection of the faithful worthies of old and the beginning of reconstruction, it is reasonable to conclude that millions of people now on the earth will be still on the earth in 1925. Then, based upon the promises set forth in the divine Word, we must reach the positive and indisputable conclusion that millions now living will never die.

EARTHLY RULERS

As we have heretofore stated, the great jubilee cycle is due to begin in 1925. At that time the earthly phase of the kingdom shall be recognized. The Apostle Paul in the eleventh chapter of Hebrews names a long list of faithful men who died before the crucifixion of the Lord and before the beginning of the selection of the church. These can never be a part of the heavenly class; they had no heavenly hopes; but God has in store something good for them. They are to be resurrected as perfect men and constitute the princes or rulers in the earth, according to his promise. (Psalm 45:16; Isaiah 32:1; Matthew 8:11) Therefore we may confidently expect that 1925 will mark the return of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and the faithful prophets of old, particularly those named by the Apostle in Hebrews chapter eleven, to the condition of human perfection.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    help please quick! i'm talking to my mom and i need to know what scripture it is that says,

"Lord, Lord, did we not prophecy in your name and expel demons in your name and perform many powerful works in your name?"

Make sure you tell her it's happening now. It's what the wtbts already says -

"Look at us, aren't we the ones informing the world about jehovahs kingdom? Aren't we the ones who keep our selves clean from demonised people and things ?"

And then will I declare to them, `I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers.'

As told to them this moment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit