A bit of history ... for you history buffs

by RR 32 Replies latest jw friends

• RR
    RR

I wasn't sure where to post this. Not sure why I'm posting this. It's only going to add fuel to the fire. But I thought some of you might find this of interest.

Anyone who knows Watch Tower History knows of its Advent Christian roots. Although for decades the Society has tried to distance itself from The Advent groups. They recently admitted to it in their Proclaimers book.

One of the most prominent ones of that era was a Jonas Wendell, he helped Young Russell re-establish his faith:

Russell in the May 1890 Zion's Watch Tower had this to say about Rev. Wendell:

"Gradually I was led to see that though each of the creeds contained some elements of truth, they were, on the whole, misleading and contradictory of God's Word. Among other theories, I stumbled upon Adventism. Seemingly by accident, one evening I dropped into a dusty, dingy hall, where I had heard religious services were held, to see if the handful who met there had anything more sensible to offer than the creeds of the great churches. There, for the first time, I heard something of the views of Second Adventists from the preacher, Mr. Jonas Wendell, long since deceased.

"Though his Scripture exposition was not entirely clear, and though it was very far from what we now rejoice in, it was sufficient, under God, to re-establish my wavering faith in the divine inspiration of the Bible, and to show that the records of the apostles and prophets are indissolubly linked. What I heard sent me to my Bible to study with more zeal and care than ever before, and I shall ever thank the Lord for that leading; for though Adventism helped me to no single truth, it did help me greatly in the unlearning of errors, and thus prepared me for the truth." (page 4)

This was found in the Titusville Morning Herald, a local newspaper in May 1871.

Minister Arrested

"Rev. Jonas Wendell has been arrested and brought to Edinboro, in this county, where he resides, on a charge of fornication. He is a Second Aventist minister and about sixty years of age. The alleged partner of his crime is a young girl about sixteen years of age, named Terry. Wendell secured her releast from the House of Refuge some time since. At the time of his arrest he had made arrangements to run away with her to Pittsburgh. An examination will be held at Edinboro tomorrow."

Go ahead, have fun .....

RR

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

RR;your singing my song mate,anything to expose the adventist's(actually "mutated Millerites") origin of the WT$.

highly credible video from the non-apostate History channel Video excerpts from History Channel presentation on apocalyptic groups { Must see }

HOSTED BY DANNYHASZARD.COM

modem (low bandwidth) version

DSl/Cable (high bandwidth) version The revered holy-man founder of Jehovah's Witnesses is buried in a mystical pyramid monument too.http://www.midwestoutreach.org/02-Information/02-OnlineReference/04-Etc/01-TheJournal/Volume5/No4-EnduringMonumentToPaganOrigins.html

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

RR....Wow, how'd you dig up that little nugget???????

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I looked at your History Channel link. Very interesting. thanks.

• gumby
    gumby
    Seemingly by accident, one evening I dropped into a dusty, dingy hall, where I had heard religious services were held, to see if the handful who met there had anything more sensible to offer than the creeds of the great churches. There, for the first time, I heard something of the views of Second Adventists from the preacher, Mr. Jonas Wendell, long since deceased.

The WTBTS claims the "Slave Class" has continually fed each succeding generation with proper food at the proper time.

I guess Jonas Wendell was the only "Slave" on earth at that time that fed Russell his food. Imagine, one single man on the whole planet who had the truth, and Russell was lucky enough to have "stumbled" into that dingy hall with a handful of listners. Lucky little devil!

Gumby

• RR
    RR
    RR....Wow, how'd you dig up that little nugget???????

aaah , ancient chinese secret! RR

• gumby
    gumby
    aaah , ancient chinese secret!

RR, lol Your telling your age bud! If I remember right.....that was an old "Tide" soap commercial or some kinda soap, can't remember. Gumby

• RR
    RR

lol .... I know that commercial by heart!

Female Customer: "How do you get your shirts so white mister Lee?"

Mister Lee: Ancient Chinese Secret

Mrs. Lee in back talking to audience: My husband, some hotshot, he?s his ancient Chinese secret ? Calgon

Announcer babbling about the product

Mrs. Lee: shouting as she enters front of store ?we need more Calgon!?

Female customer: ?ancient Chinese Secret? huh?

I know, I need a life ? I watched a lot of Television as a kid.

• JohnKG
    JohnKG

This is gold!

• Bill Covert
    Bill Covert

It was Gumpy who directed me to this site.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit