The Watchtower and the Privilege System - Reward and Punishment

by truthseeker 5 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Many of you here have had experience with the unwritten "privilege system." Some of you had the privilege of going to the "Ministerial Training School." Others of you had to wait 6 months after reinstatement for the "privilege" of commenting at the meetings. What is this system of reward and punishment?

It's a good idea to find out what the word "privilege" actually means.

(Dictionary.com)

priv·i·lege ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pr
    n.

1. A special advantage, immunity, permission, right, or benefit granted to or enjoyed by an individual, class, or caste. See Synonyms at right.
      2. Such an advantage, immunity, or right held as a prerogative of status or rank, and exercised to the exclusion or detriment of others.

Consider some of these buzz phrases....

The cleaning of the Kingdom Hall is the "privilege" of the Drone Bookstudy.

He lost his "privileges" as an elder.

Don't do that, or we'll take away some of your "privileges."

She may lose some of her "privileges" for dating an inactive witness.

We'll have to take some of your "privileges" for a while until you become stronger spiritually.

The Society does not elaborate on the privielge system in its study aids - The Require Brochure and the Knowledge Book. When a new member is baptized, he or she quickly learns the privilege system of reward and punishment. This is another effective attempt to control the Witnesses. When a brother receives a privilege, such as a ministerial servant appointment, he is made to feel special because he has advanced to a higher stage in the organization. The same brother can just as easily lose his "privilege" if he dates an unbaptized publisher.

This system of reward and punishement is very effective. It can make you even more determined to serve Jehovah or it can make you feel humiliated.

An article on cults has this to say about behavior modifications...

(http://ncafe.com/northkorea/totalism.html)

"[B]ehaviour modification...[as it is] described, is "reward or punishment for actions" association.
      It was used on you as a child whenever you were being commended or
      otherwise for your behaviour.

Taking away a privilege is usually a sure-fire method to persuading
      a child to change its behaviour when that child is old enough to under-
      stand the process. Praising a child for doing good is another method of
      changing behaviour, especially in the child who is anxious toplease.
      The rod of education applied to the seat of learning is another method
      of bringing about a desired behaviour change.

When behaviour modification techniques such as these are applied in
      a loving, caring and consistent way, the child changes their behaviour
      without holding feelings of resentment. However, if these techniques
      are perverted in any way, damage is done to the child's psyche, their
      emotions. e.g.. the abused child syndrome.

Cults use a sophisticated and perverted form of behaviour modification which damages an individuals
      emotions.

The "privilege" system works just the same way. It is an effective tool to make a member feel

good about themselves or feel guilty about themselves. You will not find any articles on this

practice, but you will soon fall victim to them - especially if you are a brother and are

constantly encouraged to reach out for "more privileges of service."

1. RR
      RR

I don't think there is really a set system. I think it dependson the congregation you're in and the elders who preside overit. Granted the Society may have their rules, I think it was the six months rule, at least that's what it wasfor DF'd personss, but that could be oveer ridedby the elders, especially if the DF'dperson was a freidn of family member.

RR

2. truthseeker
      truthseeker

That's true RR. Elders can be discretionary. But in most congregations, the elders only have the power to give and take away privileges based on one's actions. The Watchtower is full of articles about reaching out "for privileges of service."

The most recent article dealt with pioneering and how this can lead to more "privileges of service" such as International Construction, Bethel Service and Missionary service.

But to get these privileges you have to pioneer, which is also considered a privilege.

3. ezekiel3
      ezekiel3

I would agree there is a set system of priveledges. And "priviledges" is an critical buzzword.

"Losing priviledges" is a practical code within congregations to mark members. If certain ones are not seen giving talks, reading at the WT or book study, commenting, this is the equivalent of a public condemnation.

Notice how sterilization (vasectomy, tubes tied) is handled in the WT: ( w99 6/15 p. 28 Questions From Readers)

But Christians who are not facing such an unusual and distinct risk would certainly want to use ?soundness of mind? and shape their thinking and deeds by God?s esteem for reproductive potential. (1 Timothy 3:2; Titus 1:8; 2:2, 5-8) This would reflect mature sensitivity to Scriptural indications. Yet, what if it became publicly known that a Christian blithely disregarded God?s evaluations? Would not others doubt whether he (or, she) was a good example, having a reputation of making decisions in harmony with the Bible? Such a disturbing blemish on one?s reputation could, of course, affect a minister?s being qualified for special privileges of service, though that might not be so if one had in ignorance had this procedure performed.?1 Timothy 3:7.
      So this is indeed the first level of discipline with JWs. It does not require an elder's meeting or the involvement of the person being disciplined. And because it is a "priveledge" it does not need to be discussed in normal procedures.
    4. wordlywife
      wordlywife

What in the world (sorry) does having a vaz have to do with biblical principles???? I should think the 'Tower would be glad if people didn't have reproductive capabilities, given their propensity for gently prodding people not to have children in the past (or is that present?) Insanity!!! The more I read here, the stranger this religion seems to become. Guess I really am a newbie. Perhaps my spouse hasn't let me in on all the insider stuff for a reason. Yikes!

5. cyber-sista
      cyber-sista

Aloha worldly wife,

Welcome ,I have seen your other posts recently. Yes, even getting a vasectomy was something that was "suggested" could cause one to lose their "privleges" in the congo. "Suggested" is one of words used by the WT, which seemed to create many grey areas and problems. These things were a "matter of conscience" or a "grey area." I once heard a talk where the vaz thing was mentioned as being one one of those unmentionable things--if you had one don't tell anyone--it could "stumble" some who are "weak in their faith". "Stumble" is something a witness doesn't want to do because the teaching is that if you "stumble" someone by your actions and they leave the "truth" because of it you will be held accountable to God for their death. Guilt, fear and paranoia is a major part of the WT spiritual feeding program. All I can say is for you to read on..... I have just recently left the Org after 20 plus years in there. Strangely I followed along with all these things for all those years. I think the WT kept us all so busy and exhausted with activity we really didn't have time to think from one day to the next. When I finally stood back and took a look at for what it really was--Yikes, how bizarre! I am still taking it apart piece by piece. This site has helped me purge up the bits and pieces of my past belief and examine it for what it truly was. Was it really a privlege to be cleaning a toilet at the Kingdom hall while wearing your dress clothes? If a man had a vasectomy was he then not capable of taking care of Kingdom hall business thus losing his "privleges" of doing so. Privleges: AKA giving talks, passing out books and magazines in the back room, handling the microphones and sound equipment, offered councel and support to others in the congo. Hey, I forgot about this one--I noticed those on "reproof" who were not allowed the "privlege" to answer at the meeting, but were still allowed the "privlege" of halls cleaning (an inconsistency?). Being on "reproof" means you did something wrong, but are repentant, but still being punished by losing your "prileges" for a period of time designated by the elders. Actually "being on reproof" was supposed to be an old term that was changed a few years back, but the elders in my previous congo were confused and being "on reproof" was still practiced in that congo. Or, at least that is what I heard, but like I said there are inconsistences in this Org, even though we were all taught that what really held the Org together was being "united in our worship."

*highlighted words are common JW "speak'

Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit