Is disfellowshiping Scriptual

by jaredg 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jaredg
    jaredg

Hey guys I need som help. I'm writing a letter to my family about the doubts and concerns I have of the WTS and how they aren't God's source for spiritual food. I don't feel that disfellowshiping and shunning is scriptual, however I'm having trouble find evidence. Can you help me out or point me in the right direction?

thanks, Jared

• RR
    RR

I believe that disfellowshipping is scriptural. There scriptural evidences of shunning.

Now, that being said. It should be noted that the Society is an organization, an organizxation with rules. Most know the rules when they go in or grow up with the rules. If they violate those rules they punishment is meted out. That doesn't mean its right, just fair.

That is why many have difficuulty suing the Society for being DF'd. THose are rules, rules are broken, punishment is handed out!

RR

• jaredg
    jaredg

i see your point RR but i think it is rediculous that I could be held accountable for a decision I made when I was 15, a decision more important than marriage and a decision i made b/c i was pressured by my friends, family and congregation. i wish i never got baptised and then this wouldn't even be a problem.

• TD
    TD

Not as practised by the JW's.

Specifically, there's no hard scriptural support for:

--Having the decision to shun made for you

--The tribunal

--Disfellowshipping those that disagree with it.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Well, yeah but:

The only example of shunning being imposed in the the Scriptures was when a randy young fella took a shine to his Dad's new young wife and started to bonk her on a regular basis, wouldn't stop at any price, was warned umpteen times about it, kept on with the bonking and eventually got himself barred, which does seem not unreasonable to me.

Englishman.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I believe the process is unscriptural. The first century Christians dealt with their heretics and their dissenters openly. If a brother had an offence, he went directly to the individual and tried to come to an understanding. Only if that didn't work out, did it go to the elders. Even then, the issues were discussed openly, and if the dissenter was expelled from the community, everybody knew why.

No Judicial Committee.

No private meetings.

No secrecy.

No expulsion in absentia.

• Gopher
    Gopher

The parable of the "prodigal son" applies. Jesus gave the illustration about the son who took his inheritance and went and squandered it on a life of pleasure, then ran into trouble and came to his senses and came home.

The father didn't make him wait 6 months 'on probation' to make him part of the family again. He was welcomed back IMMEDIATELY with full privileges, no questions asked.

The only one who held a grudge against the son who returned was his older brother, who judged that the son should never have left and didn't deserve to be part of the family again.

Jehovah's Witnesses, in the way they treat reproved or reinstated ones, prove themselves to be like the judgmental older brother in the parable.

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar
    i think it is rediculous that I could be held accountable for a decision I made when I was 15, a decision more important than marriage and a decision i made b/c i was pressured by my friends, family and congregation. i wish i never got baptised and then this wouldn't even be a problem.

That's my point exactly. I was 13 when I got baptized. We certainly would not have been allowed to leave at 13/15!!! It's not really a choice if only 1 choice is acceptable!

I don't know the answer to your question. I do know that I am NOT one of the people mentioned in the scripture they use to justify it. I also know it is NOT loving which was what Jesus asks of us. I don't think Jesus shunned anyone - not even his friend who betrayed him.

They like to think that what they do is scriptural - but its really only the WATCHTOWER!

• Jez
    Jez

This is my first post ever. Happy to be with all of you finally. When I think of disfellowshipping, the thing that always cements in my mind how wrong of a practice it is, is how Jesus acted while on earth. Just look at any story of his exemplary life while on earth and one will see that he constantly practiced forgiveness and mercy. There are many examples that I am sure you could find, but some are:

-talking to the Samaritan woman at the well, the practice was for Jews not to have dealings with them (John 4:9) yet Jesus showed no regard for the laws of men and automatically chose mercy above pretense. When the apostles showed up and asked him what he was doing talking to her, she left immediately, used to being shunned by them. Yet her respect for Jesus is notable and how he treated her. She went and told everyone that perhaps this was the messiah. How much better would it be for the borg if they welcomed ppl like this and forgave quickly. Respect rather than hatred would grow.

-I can't remember the exact passage, but it about a woman that was to be stoned by older men for adultry. When the older men asked Jesus about it, he said, "He would has not sinned, throw the first stone." When he looked up a while later, she was there all alone and he asked her where they were. She said that they had left and he replied that since they did not condemn her, neither would he. Again, mercy shown and a plea on Jesus' part for mercy. He knew that if any speck of justice existed in these men, that one simple phrase would bring it to the fore.

-I am sure that you have heard of the admonition to look after ones family and one that disowns a family member is worse than a person without faith. Why not use this principle to guide wrongdoers? The borg puts family members that ignore/shun other family members in the position of violating a fundemental belief of God.

Lately, the society is preaching that they do not follow 'rules' rather 'principles'. If this is so, why not choose the principles that first and foremost admonish mercy, love and forgiveness? Why choose the few harsh principles that are in the bible? Given low status of women, attitudes about divorce etc...one should look at the bible as it was written 'in it's time'. Principles should be upheld, not laws that were made for an archaic society.

Sincerely, Michelle

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW
    It should be noted that the Society is an organization, an organizxation with rules. Most know the rules when they go in or grow up with the rules. If they violate those rules they punishment is meted out. That doesn't mean its right, just fair.

Well, talk to those that were DFed in the 70s for smoking. They changed the rule, gave you some months time and if you were still smoking they DFed you.

I can't remember the exact passage, but it about a woman that was to be stoned by older men for adultry. When the older men asked Jesus about it, he said, "He would has not sinned, throw the first stone."

This passage was not in the original text; that is stated in the footnote of many Bibles including the NW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit