after 6 years, maybe looking for a new church/religion..

by orbison11 18 Replies latest jw friends

• orbison11
    orbison11

hi

any suggestions, just thinking that my spiritual person is dying and need to feed her:)

i am terrified of churches, etc, due to my jw time,,,so any input would be well received from my friends here

thanks

wendy

• Woman know your place
    Woman know your place

hey,

Try this link http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html

Its a quiz about your current beliefs, which then matches you up to a list of possible religions, and gives info about them.

Vicky

• doogie
    doogie

how do you define 'spirituality'? is it a church/religion or is it something else?

i don't think i'll ever affiliate myself with one specific denomination again but i feel like i am a more spiritual person now than i have ever been. i don't know what it is, but i feel something powerful when i see a sunset or hear a certain song (it could be any song). whatever it is, it's bigger and moves me more than anything a preacher could ever put into words.

i read a book on zen and it was pretty cool too. i don't consider myself a buddhist but i love their teaching that after you "get buddhism" you don't really consider yourself a buddhist anymore. they feel that true spirituality/enlightment can't be classified under any label. you just gotta love a religion that teaches that the religion itself is not necessary in the end.

"Oh...that's the phase we call 'Philosopher Barney.'"

• dorothy
    dorothy

Ahhhh....I got Islam as #1!

I am 60% Jehovah's Witness.

Would be interested in others results.

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

Hi,

I know how you feel, when I left, I felt discouraged about religeon, but still felt a spiritual void. I enjoyed just being outside, hiking, finding it in nature. Also, my roomate was a member of Unity and as skeptical as I was about going with her I found that I enjoyed it very much. Their concept is that God is One and there are many paths to finding him and each individual finds their own way, and no way is wrong. I never joined, there were some things that I couldn't get into there, but it got my spiritual wheels moving, gave me a little boost, helped me think and feel.

here is their website.....http://www.unityonline.org/index.htm

they're not real popular rather small in areas....I appreciated their concept. My husband is reformed Judaism.....now I go to temple although I never converted and do not plan too....I do enjoy going on occasions. My cousin (also a former JW) goes to a Methodist church, which she enjoys, they are quite liberal and not out to convert you...but again provides some spiritual guide.

Hope this helps it really comes down to finding what's right for you. Good luck

• Motema Bolingo
    Motema Bolingo

Not easy to tell you what to do, Wendy.

Stay close to Jesus, the most important thing.

My wife and I were Jehovah's Witnesses from 1956 till 1997 (41 years !). I was presiding overseer and my wife regular pioneer.

Now, (since 1998), we are both roman catholics and very happy with our new life and faith.

We have many (unconditional) new friends and enjoy regularly their company.

May God bless you !

Jacques

• RR
    RR

Wow ...most Catholics become JWs, there's a switch, a JW becoming a Catholic.

I became a Bible Student

RR

• shamus
    shamus

Buddism. Find your own path to enlightenment.

• Scully
    Scully

A lot of people who do not follow a religion or particular belief system find that their spiritual needs are fulfilled in doing something positive for their community.

If you think about our experience as JWs, we really believed that we were doing something for the greater benefit of mankind. We volunteered our time and resources doing what we thought was "God's work". And despite learning that it was all for naught, I don't regret the experience of doing something for no other reason than to help other people (in my own misguided JW way).

There are so many organizations that would love to have volunteers helping them help other people. Canadian Blood Services, the Terry Fox Run, The Canadian Cancer Society, Big Brothers and Big Sisters, your local food bank or homeless shelter, hospitals, the Red Cross, the Canadian Diabetes Association.... just open your phone book and see if you can find a group that makes you feel excited and passionate about their cause, and give them a call.

When Jesus gave the parable of the Good Samaritan, he answered the question "Who really is my neighbour?" The message I get from the parable, is that our neighbour is someone we can help who doesn't have the means to repay us in any way. Volunteering is one way where we can be Good Samaritans to people who may never know who we are, but appreciate our gifts of time and compassion for them. Loving our neighbour as we love ourselves is one of the two greatest commandments.

Love, Scully

• Carmel
    Carmel

Wendy,

It's good you've identified a "need" but still are put off by "churchianity". I went through the same process, even tried to overcome the discomfort of going to church. Didn't work. After many years of "searching" I gave up and contented myself with life w/o religion. Much later I stumbled on my present faith even though I thought I was not "looking". I'd say, relax, enjoy life and do good. I have every confidence you will be supprised at the outcome.

kind regards,

carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit