Two Witness Rule

by Stephanus 23 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Most likely the elders believe both parties are guilty but obviously the confessing party could be lying.

Very astute, FM! That's exactly the WTS position i.e. the confessing party is taken to be guilty but, if not, is lying, so is still guilty of "gross sin".

Jehovah knows the guilt and/or innocnence of both parties and he knows motives since he can read hearts.

So why have a JC???

• FairMind
    FairMind

Ozzie, I see your point. It's obvious that the confessing party is either guilty of the sin being confessed or they're guilty of lying. If they are lying it is a serious lie (slander) against the other party. The two witnesses rule is designed to protect an innocent person who has been falsely accused.

In a situation where the accused but denying party has been accused of a sin that is also a crime (i.e. child abuse, etc.) then the matter should be referred to the police who will hopefully determine the truth and bring charges if necessary. If the accused party is found guilty of the Sin/Crime in a court of law then the congregation can also deal with them in an appropriate fashion.

Unrepentant sinners (gross sin) should be disfellowshipped (this is scriptural). Someone(s) must take this action, so I suppose that is why JCs exist. The problem is that the men on JCs are not held accountable when they deal with matters in a corrupt way. In fact, I personally will never trust the WT JC process until they figure out how to adaquately police themselves (like the legal and medical professions).

FM

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Someone(s) must take this action, so I suppose that is why JCs exist.

FM,

If this were true, then why is there no record in the NT of a JC? Further, if this were such an important aspect of elders' duties, then why didn't Paul describe those JC and how they were to operate?

The truth is that the NT only describes action by the congregation, not by a select group of men, when it comes to matters of "keeping the congregation clean" (in the WTS' words). To be scripturally correct, the WTS should change their already unscriptural procedures to instruct congregations to decide on such things.

Cheers, Ozzie

• FairMind
    FairMind

I agree! JCs are not what Paul spoke of. I feel like a dunce, but guess I had grown so used to the JC arrangement that I quit thinking. Thanks.

FM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit