who would you trust

by joelbear 12 Replies latest jw friends

• joelbear
    joelbear

Taking the Watchtower Society out of the equation.

Who would you trust more based on your history with them, the witnesses you have known throughout your life or the people you have interacted with here on this board?

I wish people nothing but peace, but I certainly hope people have another source of peace and support in their life than this group of people offers.

Joel

• dedalus
    dedalus

I think I can see where you're going ... but it isn't a fair question, is it? There are individuals I know who are still Witnesses that I trust more than individuals on this board ... and vice versa.

Generally, I wouldn't trust Witnesses, especially zealous (read: brainwashed) Witnesses, but like it or not, I can't avoid the fact that there is a breed of Witnesses who are basically decent, who ignore the edict to ostracize the disfellowshipped, who are barely distinguishable from members of mainstream religion. Two of my three brothers belong to this group of people -- if you could even call it a "group" -- and I trust them more than anyone ('cept Foxy, of course).

Yeah, there's been a lot of bickering and fighting on this board, if that's what you're alluding to when you say you "hope people have another source of peace and support in their life than this group of people offers." But this DB, as far as I can tell, is more diverse than that ... it defies simple characterization, just like human beings often do.

Dedalus

• Seeker
    Seeker

joel, I realize you have had some discouraging experiences here recently and that is making you a little down on this board. I've been there, done that years ago on H2O. Then I moved on and learned which threads to avoid just to keep my emotional sanity. It works.

As to your question, I have some JW friends I would trust to a large degree, but not completely since their first loyalty would be to the organization no matter what. On this site, however, I have made friends that I could trust my life to without any qualms whatsoever. I also have some non-JW friends I feel this way about.

So despite the fighting that goes on here, those of us who are not fighting are making some friendships that are stronger than anything possible among JWs who have their loyalties conflicted and co-opted.

• Tina
    Tina

joel,
    If your interested I replied to your post is the a'hole thread. hugs,T

• natred
    natred

Joelbear
    you big hairy fool
    i certainly wouldent trust you, i have seen your website, disturbing...and then some.....

• joelbear
    joelbear

I wish you peace natred. My apologies that my web site disturbed you.
    Some of it is provocative and I do realize that it offends some.

peace to you and all

Joel

• Prisca
    Prisca

Hey joel sweetie, I have no problem in looking at nude men!

And to answer your original question, the answer is that there are SOME Witnesses that I know that I would trust, and there are SOME (a tiny few) from this board whom I trust too.

But I see your point, it is much more important to have a base of real-world friends, than to rely on the cyber-world.

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Well I don't really have that choice Joel. I wish I did. They way it happend to me was SOOO FAST and I was COMPLETLY cut off from EVERYONE I had EVER known. You see I was a reg pioneer and worked part time for dad, the only non JW's I knew where a couple guys at the gast station haha!

Last summer we hid out in our motorhome (my parents and me) for 5 months. Our house was staked out by the elders, we were reciveing certified mail weekly, and we changed our phone number that we'd had for 20 years. I didn't SEE or talk to ANYONE other then my parents, except for people at stores. The only break I got was when we'd go up twice a month to meet with EXJW's in WA (Mulan etc).

My social life for about 8 months was restricted to online, it was all I had!! I spent hours on H2O, and really got to appreaciate some of the regular posters there, they helped me SOOO much (you know who you are )

I have recieved nothing but support from the folks online, esp this board. I've made some wonderful friends, and hope to start meeting more from this board, all the ones I've met so far are wonderful!!! I know there's been a lot of fighting, but I think that's some peoples way of expression and confusion. We all deal and cope differently. I personally haven't gotten into it much at all, and hope I never do. Not becuase I'm afraid to speak up, or stand up for what I think. I've just learned to be more toleratnt and realise everyones entitiled to their own oppinion, NO matter how STUPID it is HAHHAHAHHA!!!!!

So Ya I trust the people on this board. When I'm upset or haveing a hard time, I know I can post about or chat and get the support I need. The JW's didn't do that for me, They left me out in the cold, and so how can I trust them????? Sometimes I feel like I was 'emotionaly & spiritiually raped', they violated the trust I gave them. Fool me onece shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!!! It'll take a lot for me to trust a JW again, I just don't know if I have it in me anymore!

Ven

"I'm gonna wash that borg right out of my hair,I'm gonna wash that borg right out of my hair,I'm gonna wash that borg right out of my hair, and send it on it's way"

• joelbear
    joelbear

HUGS Venice,

Exactly the type of response I wanted to get. We in so many cases are ALL people have to turn to.

So much more that we should think carefully about how we use this public forum that is soooo unique and sooooo needed.

How many others like you have come here tearfully hoping for new association and a safe place to just BE for a while and see Asshole Wars or name calling or public bickering and just left despondently.

Whenever I read an angry post with racial slurs or just mean language, I think, okay, picture someone who desperately needs someone to trust. Are they us?

hugs

Joel

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

At this point, I'm sad to say, I don't really trust anyone completely. (except my non-JW hubby)

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. --Steven Wright

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit