Man loses license after telling doctor about drinking. WTF????

by closer2fine 18 Replies latest jw friends

• RR
    RR

That's why I don't go to the doctors

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

"Certainly, cases like this could lead individuals to refrain from giving their doctors adequate information to treat them," Givens said.

I think it's wrong, given what was stated above it exactly what is going to happen and then the problems will worsen for the patient and the public. What are liquor store owners now going to have to call the police when they notice the same individual buying liquor every evening?

Cassi

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    No kidding. A six pack of beer, while not good, is no reason to alert the police. An overreaction on this doctor's part if you ask me. And also it will discourage people from disclosing everything to their doctor.

To add to Big Tex's post, the Doctor didn't know what time of day the fellow drank or if he drank and drove.

think it's wrong, given what was stated above it exactly what is going to happen and then the problems will worsen for the patient and the public. What are liquor store owners now going to have to call the police when they notice the same individual buying liquor every evening?

This could happen. If so a really heavy drinker would simply go to five or six liquor stores per week. Bug

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

So if you drink 6 cans of beer a day, you are automatically going to drive drunk? And your license should be suspended? How asinine.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    To add to Big Tex's post, the Doctor didn't know what time of day the fellow drank or if he drank and drove.

One of my thoughts as well, it amazes me that this is acceptable.

My ex-husband had his drivers license revoked by the state after a doctor repoted that he refused to take his anti-seizure medication. What he did not report was the meds were having a adverse affect on his liver, killing him and he ( my ex) asked to be given a different med, which the doctor had refused to do. My ex went to another doctor for different meds, ( I was driving after he quit the meds in the first place) that doctor was amazed at the damage to his liver and put him on the different meds immediatly.

It took my ex almost two years to get his license back and almost twice as long to get insurance without going to a company who gouged you. It came to the point he had to get an SR22 for quite some time. And this because the doc did not feel it necessary to listen to his patient and or his test results. Believe me I understand there are some who should not drive with seizure conditions if not under control but the whole situation could have been avoided.

Cassi

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

This sets a very bad precedent. If people are afraid that their Dr will rat them out, they will be less likely to seek needed medical care.

• irishayes
    irishayes

What about those people who are required to take meds that say you should not operate machinery while on this med? Are their doctors going to report them, too? Will the DMV take their licenses away simply because they are on meds that might impair them IF they drive? Isn't the doctor assuming this man is LYING about whether he drinks and drives? This is nuts!

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

Off topic...

I love your name irishayes.

Cassi

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

Wow, talk about outstanding stupidity!! That's just ridiculous!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit