Rutherford was dismissed by Russell in 1915

by VM44 17 Replies latest jw friends

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

According to the Bible Students they said:

Pastor Russell?s will had designated a five-member Editorial Committee: Wm. E. Page, Wm. E. VanAmburgh, H. Clay Rockwell, E. W. Brenneisen, F. H. Robison. Then, ?The names of the five whom I suggest as possibly amongst the most suitable from which to fill vacancies in the Editorial Committee are as follows: A. E. Burgess, Robert Hirsh, Isaac Hoskins, Geo. H. Fisher (Scranton), J. F. Rutherford, Dr. John Edgar.? The declaration of ?five? names, followed by six names, could possibly be because John Edgar (of Scotland) had died (although seemingly RutherĀ­ford?s name should have appeared after Edgar?s if that were an added codicil), or because as keeper of the will, he had added his own name. (It is said that Rutherford denied all requests to see the will.) Rutherford added himself to the Editorial Committee.

No wonder growing up we were told these were the Evil Slave class and not to talk to them because the WT did not want you to hear the other side of the story. Bunch of bleeping hypocrates.

Will

• Mary
    Mary
    Sword of Duuuh! said: If this is true, then why did Charles include Rutherford's name in his will?

He didn't. Booze Rutherford got his name put on the Will after Brother Russell died. Brother Russell, while not faultless, knew that Rutherford was a pain in the ass he was NOT the type of person he wanted left in charge. And sure enough, once Rutherford illegally restled control away from those who Brother Russell wanted to run the show, things started changing. A good example is both men's view towards Jews: Russell was sympathetic towards them, Rutherford, while initially carrying on this belief, eventually revealed his true colours and was very anti-Semetic.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere else that Beth Sarim was built to get Rutherford out of office as no one could stand him at Bethel. While alot of Brother Russell's ideas were far-fetched, he was alot more laid back than the fanatical nazi-like regieme that Rutherford created.

• RR
    RR

Mary stated:

I vaguely recall reading somewhere else that Beth Sarim was built to get Rutherford out of office as no one could stand him at Bethel.

Actually, in time VanAmburgh realized he made a mistake, but being an old man, he kept his mouth shut and played the good little sheep. He is the only one who became a JW. The rest of his family are still Bible Students. MacMillan played the brownnoser till the JUdge died, then he had a fallen out with Knorr and got the shaft.

It has been said that Rutherford replaced his two henchmen with Franz and Knorr and it was their idea to get rid of the Judge and Franz came up with the Beth-Sarim idea. That way they could run thing while the Judge lived the life of a drunkard.

RR

• Mary
    Mary
    It has been said that Rutherford replaced his two henchmen with Franz and Knorr and it was their idea to get rid of the Judge and Franz came up with the Beth-Sarim idea. That way they could run thing while the Judge lived the life of a drunkard.

Awww.......they shoulda got some professional help like group therapy for the ol' bastard instead of building him a house. Can't you just see him in such a group? He stands up and says "...My name is Judge Booze Rutherford. Prohibition is from de Debbil. I'm 237 years old and I'm a teenage alcoholic."

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Thanks for the helpful information RR. Your comments are always appreciated.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Athan, I was hoping you would pop into this thread! How's the book on Rutherford coming?

Good to see ya.

Robyn

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Russell offered Mcmillan the position as president {Book- Faith on the March} before he died. Mcmillan refused, but took charge while Russell went on his final preaching tour and died.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

BTW, I have a ship record that shows that JF Rutherford, Mary Rutherford, and their son Malcolm were still living at 10 Orange Street, Brooklyn, NY as of 25 September 1914 (wasn't that mighty close to when Armageddon would climax?). But when Malcolm had to register for the draft on 15 June 1917, he gave his address as 11 East Lake, Los Angeles, CA. So at least the son had already moved out to California in the time between 1914 and 1917. BTW, on his draft card he claims an exemption on the basis of "Member Bible Students Assn."

Here is something interesting. Sister Rutherford subsequently lived in a home in Monrovia, California (at 160 North Primrose Avenue), which just so happened to be less than a mile away from the famous Pottenger Sanatorium, which was established in 1903 and which specialized in treating pulmonary diseases.

Guess who had a pulmonary disease? JF Rutherford. He claimed to have caught it in 1918 in prison. Hayden Covington claimed that he had it even earlier from falling into a icy lake in Missouri when he was young. I don't know if that's true (it may not be). But at the very least that suggests that Rutherford spent time in California for his health and that is why the house in that location was chosen. That of course was the real reason behind Beth Sarim. But Rutherford already had a home for that purpose, with his wife and located near a renowned Institute. Why did he need a mansion located in San Diego far away from his wife, where he would live with his female secretary? I guess that is a commentary on his marriage more than anything else.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit