Where did you draw the line?

by JH 14 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

With the promise that a few of those who saw 1914 would also see the end of this system of things, where did you draw the line, and say the 1914 generation has PASSED?

Naturally some born in 1914 are still alive, but not many. Does this mean that the 1914 generation as taught by the witnesses is still plausible?

I drew the line when the November 1995 Watchtower re-defined a "generation". To me, this was one of their biggest errors, because they could have waited 20 more years before giving up on the 1914 generation. Those holding on to 1914 would have stead 20 more years waiting, just incase...

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

JWs believe that the oldest a person can live is 120 years.

Therefore, 1914 + 120 = 2034

If the end does not come by then, they are screwed.

• little witch
    little witch

PULEEZE

The borg could state in writing tomorrow that little green martians informed them that yesterday the end came and all the followers would swallow it whole.

"I believe it, but I can't live it" is the best that outsiders and non-believers can hope for.

Sorry for the negativity, but that is the way it is.

The sad truth is, no matter how silly the directives from ny usa, the rank and file will believe.

It comes down to belief, to feelings.....not reason.

(my sarcasm is not directed to any person, but simply an opinion in regards to how some people will accept the silliest of suggestions)

• kls
    kls

Little witch, you are so right.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

I had started to doubt it in the early nineties. I read a newsweek article about the JWs and the Generation problem around that time, which was about a year or so before the next round of "New Light" on parousia, but I didn't really believe it anymore by then. I jsut kept my opinions to myself.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I just remember being pounded in my head by the WTS that a generation time period was 70-80 years. I figured their time was up in 1994 according to their own statistics.

• dh
    dh

what little witch said.

they pride themselves on being sheep and sheeplike, and sheep are dumb and do as they are told.

mehhh

• Maverick
    Maverick

I think the whole premise is crap! The WTS and its dupes have a need to feel important and having special knowledge is a manifestation of that need. If the WTS gives you advice of how to print a book it might be worth listening to, but as for anything else I'd pass on following or thinking too much about anything they say. Mav

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    JWs believe that the oldest a person can live is 120 years.

Therefore, 1914 + 120 = 2034

If the end does not come by then, they are screwed.

It was my understanding that you had to be able to grasp what was happening in 1914 at the time, not born in 1914. So you ( as taught to me) had to be about 17-20 years in 1914 for it to apply. One according to the JW's needed to understand the meaning of the times during that time. Cassi, correct me if I am wrong

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I agree along with freedom96, 1994 was a pivotal year for me since the society believed a generation to be 70-80 years, I thought armageddon would surely be here by then, after that year came and passed then it was no looking back for me.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit