I'm in Red China!

by Leolaia 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Your photos illustrate why there are so many people in china, their children are so beautiful, everybody wants one, or two, or three, or four. It is easy to see how this child bearing could get out of hand. Bug

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Thanks for sharing your incredible trip/photos/dialog with us Leo. I'm having more fun looking at the pics of all the little kids.. they are *so cute*!

Country Girl

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Just went back and read all of your threads on this subject, and am currently kicking myself for not paying better attention the first time around. Your pics make me want to go to the nearest airport and buy a ticket to Japan and China.

The Japan/China area stirs the imagination without the pictures, with them they almost make sitting at home in front of a computer unbearable. Cannot conceive of how you could have done a better job with your camera. Thank you for your effort and for sharing with the rest of us. Bug

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The Great Hall of the People, Tiananmen Square, Beijing.

At Tiananmen Square, Beijing.

Tiananmen Gate, Beijing.

Performers at an acrobat show, Beijing. That's a dozen ppl on one bicycle.

The Forbidden City, Beijing.

The Temple of Heaven and Earth, Beijing.

Woman at the Temple of Heaven and Earth, Beijing.

The Great Wall, near Beijing.

On the Great Wall.

Street scene in Xi'an, China.

"Typical Fast Food" Restaurant in Xi'an, China. I love the "Engrish" line: "Monopolistic Cent of Green Food". Soylent Green, anyone?

The Moon Light Restaurant in Xi'an, China. It billed itself as serving Western-style food...well, it was more like Chinese-style Western food. But what the ???? does "larruping" mean?

More "Engrish" in Xi'an, China.

This was on a mannequin at a department store dressed in US military garb though the helmet has the Chinese red star. "We were soldiers"...formerly, but not anymore? I love the names of the department stores in Chinese shopping centers. One was called "Valued Squirrel" with a squirrel as their logo.

Street market in Xi'an, China.

The famous terra-cotta warriors of Xi'an, China.

River near Xi'an, China.

Giant sand dunes near Dunhuang, China.

View of the sand dunes at Crescent Lake, Dunhuang.

Buddhist sculpture in the Magao Caves, Dunhuang.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I count 10 cranes.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Uh-uh, you forgot one...

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Leo ... Don't stop, don't stop ... It's like I'm traveling with you (Geeeeeez the pics are well taken, the themes are interesting, the colors are wonderfull ... )

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Leo,

That one in the lower right corner was real hard to see and I didn't reading glasses on.

Please, if I may ask, share with us some of your feeling about being at Tiananmen Square. I know you must have a lot of thoughts about those brave students who protested.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Frankie....It's hard not to think about it when you're there, especially when confronted by the large number of police and guards there. I always try to feel the gravity of history when I'm at a significant place, and I sure felt it there.

• mustang
    mustang

Ni hao!!!!

They do love to climb, don't they? And they count the steps!!! Dragon Lady & I only did a couple of thousand of the 10,000 steps of the "Sea of Clouds" (Huangshan). But we did all 1000+ on the cataracts nearby.

Oh, & I found out where all of the blonde furniture from the 50's went: CHINESE HOTELS!!! I got a kick out of the fancy custom radios in the room that turned on the Do Not Disturb sign

We didn't do any of that bus tour biz: 800 miles of personal & private car tour through the back countryside; that included busting the car's oil pan 250 miles from Shanghai. And we passed through where Jonty Parkins lives!!!

Shanghai reminded me of New York City. I never did get time to find an I-Net Cafe, though. Maybe I'll move there.

Have fun!!!!

Mustang

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit