nuisance calls

by baysixforme 7 Replies latest jw friends

• baysixforme
    baysixforme

Anybody with any good ideas?

I'm getting really peed off here. I'm having a load of shite from soon-to-be-X who persists in ringing me up and harrassing us whenever he feels like it. Apart from changing our number (which would be fairly drastic for lots of reasons), I've taken every measure that I can to reduce the hassle.

Apparently because he does not withhold his number, telephone company will not deal with it as a nuisance!

I have caller id, so don't pick up when he rings but that doesn't stop him from ringing again and again and again.

I reported him to the police and they say that there is not enough evidence to prosecute, however they did phone him the other night to ask him to stop and he did for about eight hours and then ring ring ring bloody ring.

My solicitor is writing to him, again to request that he desists from harrassing us, I can't do much more there as an injunction will cost me roughly £1,000!

I have contacted his service provider to inform them that he is breaking the rules of his contract by constantly annoying us....they say that their hands are tied as they want police involvement first, which seemingly is unlikely at this point in time.

Somebody that I spoke to about it today said that she knows someone that would 'warn' him for me and would do it free of charge as she was owed a favour!!!!

How low must I stoop? How bad does it have to get before somebody takes me seriously? How much more can this bastard to us and get away with it?

I'm pissed off and needed to get that off my chest!

Bay64me

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Not sure on the Laws in the UK, but in the US, if you tell them not to call, and they call anyhow, you can have them arrested...I've done it.

• Simon
    Simon

Find the phone number of a director of the phone company and keep ringing them up, using the same excuses that they gave you.

See if they don't change their mind very quickly and what is possible and what isn't.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Can you get a court restraining order (or a no-contact order) against him? We have them here in the US, and it would prevent him from contacting you in any way.

• blondie
    blondie

First, let me say that I doubt you will be able to stop him easily. I would get an answering machine to pickup after the 3rd or 4th ring when he calls so it doesn't ring continuously. Then just screen your calls, deleting those from his number.

Try this too, a tip from the local PD. Get a police whistle, a loud one, and when you know it is him on the end of line, blow it into the phone (check this with the solicitor if you want). I don't think he will keep calling.

Keep in mind that this might escalate his actions to more than calling on the phone.

Blondie

• manicmama
    manicmama

This may sound simple but it has proved extremely effective for me. My father was a policeman thus we had his police whistle, any whistle will do. We used to have this rather aggressive heavy breather with a large vocabulary if you get my drift. When this person rings blow the whistle as long and hard into the phone as you can, I guarantee you it won't take more than a couple of times. Very effective.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Does your telephone company offer CALL BLOCKING?

Of course that will help mainly if he calls from the same place all the time.

I'm surprised that the police don't consider this harrassment a form of stalking.

You can get a STORM whistle at places that sell dog-training supplies. The STORM is reputidly the world's loudest whistle.

• baysixforme
    baysixforme

Thanks to all for your input and suggestions.

Simon, I've just rang service provider again and am waiting for call back....that gives me some indication as to how seriously they are taking it.....like NOT...but will persist in trying to make someone hear me anyway.

Mulan, I asked my solicitors advice on obtaining an injunction/ non-molestation order...would cost me at least a grand...don't have that kind of money to throw at him.

As for the whistle.....may consider trying it. Initially I would pick up, hear his voice and place the phone in front of the TV and put on looney tunes. That made us all laugh about it but the joke is wearing thin now, I'm just annoyed at the fact that he can continue to do as he pleases and none of the powers that be are interested in assisting my family in maintaining some kind of normal life.

See if I can get somewhere today,

Bay64me

Nathan, I asked them to block him and although I have call barring to prevent those that withhold their number from getting through, they are not able to block individual numbers...so they say!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit