Resurrection of husbands, wives.

by dothemath 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dothemath
    dothemath

At the District Convention.......we had a very touching experience of an elder who lost his wife fairly recently. His comments gave the distinct impression he was going to be reunited with her in the new system............"Jehovah is opening his hand and satisfying the desires of every living soul".......is the scripture he focused on.

That's certainly understandable.......I'm sure any of us in the same situation would feel similiarly.......but.......there was certainly no mention of the fact that those resurrected would be "as angels in heaven"(Matt. 22: 30), and would no longer be given in marriage.

This is a topic I think the Society is steering clear of........you have to go back quite a few years to see it commented on in detail.

• laurelin
    laurelin

I personnaly think this is one scripture they have misquoted completely and I think they realise it.

It was back in the eighties when they last commentated on it in full and then they tried to reason that it was an earthly ressurection that Jesus was talking about. But the whole thing doesn't stand up to their own interpretations of the rest of the scriptures.

Jesus said that they would become like the angels and that they would not die. Angels are not immortal. Only the 144,000 are given immortality. Therefore Jesus had to be referring to the heavenly ressurection for his statement of not dying to hold true.

Which makes a whole lot more sense to me than saying Jehovah will satisfy every desire but the desire to remarry the person you spent your entire life with.

Interestingly, it has occured to me that the ones who bang on about not being able to marry in the ressurection are the ones who don't have the happiest marriages.... maybe they're hoping one or the other of them will die and they won't have to remarry that person.

I personally think that God will allow resurrected partners to re-unite. My mum is holding onto that hope and I won't take it away from her and I'll face any elder who does.

• Xander
    Xander
    I'm sure any of us in the same situation would feel similiarly.......but.......there was certainly no mention of the fact that those resurrected would be "as angels in heaven"(Matt. 22: 30), and would no longer be given in marriage.

Indeed, and while competitive sports are prohibited to please the sisters, brothers are allowed to imagine what it would be like to play football again with a 'perfect body'.

And while violence and war is discouraged to placate the mothers, brothers who play computer games (and pen-and-paper wargames) are allowed to think they will be allowed in the new system.

And while they make it clear all forms of pollution will cease in the new system to please the JW-hippies, everyone else is allowed to believe (somehow) computers and electricity will be tenable in the new system (exactly *what* do they think computers are made from? Recycled newspapers?!)

And while they teach "the lion will lie down with the lamb" and "the snake will eat dirt" to please the vegetarians, they allow others to dream of how a 'perfect' steak would taste.

et al.

Since 'the new system' and the 'resurrection' are the ONLY carrots they have to dangle in front of the flock to keep them motivated to go on, they more or less allow it to be 'all things to all people'. (And, of course, out of the other side of their mouth promptly blast the rest of Christendom for "Tickling people's ears by telling them what they want to hear" )

• robhic
    robhic

Matthew 22:29-30 (new world translation):

"In reply Jesus said to them: 'You are mistaken, because you know neither the scriptures nor the power of God; for in the resurrection neither do men marry nor are women given in marriage, but are as angels in heaven.'"

But didn't some angels mate with earthly women and spawn giants -- the Nephilim and Rephaim -- like Goliath? (1Sa 17:4, Gen 6:4 see also Num 13:33). If being like the angels in heaven is supposed to convey the idea that people won't be or need to be married, how is the fact that angels came to earth to mate with human women? Didn't they marry or were they commiting "porinea"? Sounds like a crock and a contradiction to me...

And I seem to remember during some reasearch I did on this topic a while ago that married people who survive the "BIG A" would stay married according to the WTS. If you didn't live thru the actual "end of times" then you wouldn't be married or eligible to get married. You'd be screwed, matrimonialy speaking. I'm not a JW but I think I'm getting the hang of this stuff! (Is that a good thing?)

Robert

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Then what about a brother or sister who loses their mate and then remarries?. What will happen when their marriage mate gets ressurrected and finds out their mate is remarried? What if an unbelieving marriage mate gets ressurrected? I remember one sister who was glad there would be no marriage in the new system because she didn't like her husband and thought that since there would be no marriage in the new system there would be no sex and she was happy about that.

Sounds like the new system is one big giant soap opera coming to the the JWs sometime real soon now--well maybe--just be patient now--they don't really know the day or the hour--but stay tuned to the Organization channel for many many more further details and instructions.

• JCanon
    JCanon
    "In reply Jesus said to them: 'You are mistaken, because you know neither the scriptures nor the power of God; for in the resurrection neither do men marry nor are women given in marriage, but are as angels in heaven.'"

And the ANSWER IS: The angels in heaven don't bear children and thus have the same "sex", they are androgynous, a combination of male and female. For the purpose of procreation until the earth was populated, the two sexes were necessary, male and female. Along with that, because of the necessity of family and raising children, marriage was instituted. But once you reach population zero and there is no need for children and that type of family, then marriage will be abolished. By the time of the second resurrection there will be no more births, the last human eligible for life will have been born. This second resurrection is after the millennium is over. There is no resurrection during the millennium!

At any rate, those coming back in the second resurrection will be like the angels in that not only will they not marry but they will be androgynous as the angels, being some form of unisex or bisex. With no marriage per se and everyone the same sex, and thus no suppression of women, everyone will be equal, intimate "sexual" (or whatever) expression of affection will be open to any two individuals if they choose. Thus it should especially be appreciated that angels have a concept of sexuality among themselves. They could materialize if they wanted and had sex with each other, there was no need to iimpregnate humans. Thus this was a direct, conscious rebellion against God. The angels were not sexually deprived, they were just bored and/or greedy and rebellious.

On a biological note, every human cell starts out asexual. Hormones cause the development in one direction or the other of male or female.

Of course, the WTS is no where near understanding this.

As far as "heaven" is concerned, only the Bride Class represented by 144K, probably the actual number is x10 (1,440,000), will go to heaven. This takes place after the final judgment which follows the millennium and Satan's last rebellion and destruction. So being like angels does not mean they will be literal angels, simply have a similar "sexuality" as the angels which does not require marriage.

JC

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Now, JC, why couldn't Jesus have said that the first time around and saved us all a lot of trouble?

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit