Science and Logic and Faith - WT Study July 11, 2004

by jgnat 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

f. They quote portions from Vincent Wigglesworth, who considers scientific method to be a religious approach.

g. When someone rejects belief in God, he is simply exchanging one type of faith for another.

h. Belief in God is not blind faith, for there is overwhelming evidence of God?s existence

Hillary-Step ?

...scour the Creationist websites looking for para-scientific quotes that they then fob off on the uniformed as 'science'. For example, this website http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/quotes.html contains the quotes from that Watchtower that you analyse above.?

AlanF

, ?The quotes you provided, jgnat, indicate that the Watchtower Society is still up to its old tricks of borrowing material from the creationists of that old whore, Babylon the Great. The ideas expressed in The Watchtower are exactly the same as those put forth by today's so-called Intelligent Design creationists.?

Too true. I kept banging in to these Creationist websites while I hunted down the original quotes. Sadly, most of the quotes were truncated to suit the site-owners, not to provide the full context. Shame creationists, shame Watchtower. I wonder how much original scholarship goes on at Bethel these days?

Hillary

, those are very nice comment on my own perspective on faith. These durn athiests/agnostics on the board sent me back to my foundations, and made me think about what I really believe. I think they helped me be a better Christian, far less dogmatic.
  • heathen
    heathen

AlanF--- You were right I was thinking of Isaiah for some of my reply but some of it still is in Job at 26:7 . I was thinking of ecclesiastes 1:7 . Still facinating stuff IMO .

• VM44
    VM44

"They quote portions from Vincent Wigglesworth, who considers scientific method to be a religious approach" Why should anyone care what this person Wigglesworth says? and this Watchtower writer, does he even know what the scientific method is? I doubt it very much when he starts using phrases like "only mere theories." --VM44

• VM44
    VM44

Can anyone here find out exactly who wrote this Watchtower article? I want a name! --VM44

• jgnat
    jgnat

The way I understand it, VM, watchtower articles are written by committee.

• VM44
    VM44
    The way I understand it, VM, watchtower articles are written by committee.

jgnat, you are right, the same bland style comes through in all their writings, especially the personal experiences, which have all individuality of expression removed and read like the same person is telling the story, only the specific details changing from person to person. --VM44

• VM44
    VM44

I am bringing this thread back because of the following item from the Watchtower article that jgnat liste.

c.
    Scientific research is limited - restricted to what humans can actually observe and study.

In the most recent Watchtower and Awake magazines, science is again stated as being "limited".

Has calling science "limited" become a standard tactic used by The Watchtower?

I might start a new thread on this topic.

• eric356
    eric356

The problem is that it's true that science is limited to things that can actually be observed. The WT makes this into a dirty word, ignoring the fact that a vast number of things that people actually care about are things that can be observed. If you claim your religion has unparalleled unity, love, etc. a sociologist can go out and survey people to see if that's true. Same with prayer helping cure illness.

Basically, science is "limited" to the things that actually effect reality. Because nobody can explain how god could effect reality, or even that he exists, god is unscientific.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit