Some of them want to abuse you...

by Suzis Ghost 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Suzis Ghost
    Suzis Ghost

"Some of them want to be abused by you. "
    -- Eurhythmics

"Copyright protects "original works of authorship" that are fixed in a tangible form of expression. The fixation need not be directly perceptible so long as it may be communicated with the aid of a machine or device. Copyrightable works include the following categories:

* (1) literary works;
    * (2) musical works, including any accompanying words
    * (3) dramatic works, including any accompanying music
    * (4) pantomimes and choreographic works
    * (5) pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works
    * (6) motion pictures and other audiovisual works
    * (7) sound recordings
    * (8) architectural works

These categories should be viewed broadly. For example, computer programs and most "compilations" may be registered as "literary works"; maps and architectural plans may be registered as "pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works."

http://www.loc.gov/copyright/circs/circ1.html#wwp

http://www.loc.gov/copyright/title17/

http://www.loc.gov/copyright/reports/studies/dmca/dmca_study.html

"Copyrighted works on the net include news stories, software, novels, screenplays, graphics, pictures, Usenet messages and even email. In fact, the frightening reality is that almost everything on the Net is protected by copyright law."

http://www.copyrightwebsite.com/digital/digital.asp

FAIR USE

"According to the Copyright Act of 1976, copyright owners have the exclusive right to reproduce, prepare derivative works, distribute, transfer ownership, rent, lend, perform or display their creations. Fair use places a limit on these exclusive rights to promote free speech, learning, scholarly research and open discussion in accordance with the First Amendment. Educators must prove four conditions or "factors" exist to legally use portions of copyrighted material.

*First, the "purpose and character of the use" must be educational in nature.

*Second, the work should be published, since an author generally will not publish a creation if he or she wants to keep it from the public eye. Courts also favor nonfiction for fair use over fiction.

*Third, the copied material must be an excerpt or "portion" of the whole and not a "substantial" part of the work -- even a small portion could be substantial if it constitutes a central or critical part of the original work.

*Fourth, the teacher must consider the "effect of the use of the work." This fourth factor, in which the Supreme Court has said the use cannot impair the marketability of the work, is probably the most difficult to determine and the most controversial in a fair use analysis."

http://www.libraries.psu.edu/mtss/fairuse/dalziel.html

I think I have adequately proven my point. I know what I'm talking about when it comes to copyright and fair use guidelines.

And now, to explain a little bit about myself to those few who continually question me. ...

1) I have a Masters of Science in Interactive Technology and Instructional Design-- which is where we learned about copyright and fair use laws, by the way, for both educational AND commercial use.

2) I have a Bachelors of Art in Media Arts (includes film-making, film editing, video production, lighting, audio multitrack recording and editing, radio, audio equipment maintenance and set up, script-writing for both film and stage, novel writing and format, makeup, effects, photography, and art- hence the Photoshop)
    During this time, I also acquired enough courses to have a minor in Physics and Art.

3) I am actively involved in community activities. I am currently seeking to join the Landmarks Conservancy in my town. I have helped out with food and clothing drives for the homeless, I even stop to chat with the homeless in my neighborhood.

4) I have never been a JW, nor was I ever interested in becoming one. I came to this board because Chuck is an ex-JW, or "apostate". I wanted to understand what he went through both during and after the cult. In his case, he was a kid, so he didn't have too much say in his induction. I came here to try to understand the whys and wherefores of people who voluntarily give up their individuality and freedom and trade it in for ignorance and stubborn-ness. When the JW's came knocking, I offered them ice tea when it was hot, and hot tea if it was cold. I invited them in, hoping to understand them, and because I felt bad. I really did. I wanted to know why they let themselves be brainwashed and subdued everything that made them human in the first place. I think the black kimono with the hand-stitched dragon, along with my refusal to take down my Halloween decorations most likely scared them off. They stopped coming by, and left their propaganda at the bottom of my stairs instead.
    I was raised Roman Catholic, more or less. When I left the church they were mainly upset more by the loss of my 10%. My parents didn't really care, either. They've always been pretty open-minded about a lot of things, religion being one of those things.
    My mother's side of the family raised holy hell, however. They claimed that me, my siblings, and my parents were surely going to burn for our blatant lack of zealism, and how could we turn away from God?
    I laughed at them and pointed out their own hypocrisy. My two "maiden" aunts have been involved with married men and technically have been committing adultery in the eyes of the church for the past ten years. They hold material possessions about all else, including family, and their capacity for understanding is miniscule. I explained that I hadn't quite lost faith in God, I had lost faith in mankind. They haven't mentioned it since. They know when to be quiet.
    Are they ignorant? Not necessarily. They are self-deluded. There's a difference.

5) What am I up to these days? I'm a staff consultant for a firm in New York City, USA. I create Computer Based Training for corporations. I analyze their data and make a judgement on how to best carry out that training media and content. I run my own web site, as most of you know, and I have been published.
    Currently I am considering becoming an editor for a web zine based out of Colorado, and I still write reviews for a web zine in Sweden.

6) I have studied many different religions, from eastern to middle eastern, as well as the older "pagan" religions such as wicca, and the polytheism of Rome, Greece, and Egypt.

7) What do I do in my spare time? I feed stray animals, and I talk to the homeless people in my neighborhood. Seriously, I really do. You would be amazed what you can learn about people by talking to them, and ultimately LISTENING to them.
    For instance. Has my message most likely been lost by now? Most likely. Have people already formed their opinions of me and refused to listen? Most definitely. Am I being called a bitch. Hell yeah. Does all the criticism this post will receive matter if one person reads this and it drops everything into place for them? No. In fact, if this or any of my posts can make just one person smile, or feel for a few minutes like it all makes sense, then I am more than justified. If it makes a person THINK an INDIVIDUAL THOUGHT that is unmarred and uninfluenced by the masses, then I have done what I set out to do.

Am I a bitch sometimes? Most definitely. I have to be in my line of work. It comes from dealing with business on the site, as well as having grown up "goth". You learn to defend yourself, and not to take bullshit from others. Do I call it as I see it? Hell yes. Being able to write a lot doesn't make the person great, writing something great makes the person great.

During my time spent here I have seen the best and worst sides of people. I have seen some very intelligent people getting lost in their own words and issues and ego, and I have seen messages being lost in personality and poster's name. I have seen people that may actually genuinely care about others and I have seen those with no agenda but their own.

I have seen people post for apparently no other reason than to see their own posts, or to get a word in for no purpose. Much like life, I have seen some truly impressive ideas, and I have seen some truly idiotic ones. I have seen mob mentality, and I have seen individuality (unfortunately examples of the individuality are few and far between, which saddens me).

Above all, I have seen a collective grab for Something Better. And that gives me some hope that there's still hope.

From now on my posts here will be few and far between, if any posts at all. I feel a sense of disappointment mainly that what started off as a good idea went the way that many religions seem to go, due to the major flaw in every good idea: The Human Factor. I had hoped for enlightenment, and I received only fractured human nature and paranoia. It's kind of sad, actually, that there are some here who really refuse see past the end of their own noses without PROOF that there really IS a world beyond it, and without a moral backing to go forth into that world. Sometimes the first step is to WANT to take the first step.

Trust me, I've been in the shoes of the doubting a few times, and I mostly wear the shoes of the doubted until I prove to the doubter that I do have a point. But NEVER overlook something more just because you THINK someone is incorrect and not supported by the masses. Explore the possibilities of the words and ideas, and run with them. Take them to new heights. The thought expressed may seem to have no value at the time, but you never know where it might prove noteworthy. Either way, it's a new perspective that you didn't have before. I'm not saying listen to everything that's said and believe it, but ANALYZE it for something of worth. If it's not worthy, discard it, by all means, but don't throw it out before you do take a look at what it's saying.

You're only as ignorant as you let yourself be.

This message will most assuredly be criticisized and thewords dissected and taken out of context in the fullest extent. So to prevent any further bickering, I will give you my meaning, simple, and in one small paragraph. Ready?

Never discard information unless you really don't need it, and never discard it because you don't like the way the book is bound or written. See past the bullshit to the MEANING behind the words. A story is only as good as the characters telling it. It has nothing to do with the plot in the long run. We associate with characters before we ever even read the story. Look at the story and you'll find the meaning behind each character. Read the whole story instead of only the first sentence. If need be, get the Cliff's Notes.

I will most likely NOT be around to make any form of retort to any criticisms to this thread I've started, so save your energy and time, and get outside a little bit. I'm dropping this, permanently. If I ever do come back here, I won't discuss this topic or the related topics any further. I've packed up and I'm moving on to a discussion board I found where there is no censorship, no harrassment, and everyone keeps an open mind. For those that this made any form of sense to, you have my deepest sympathies. :)

Ciao all, I'm off to greener pastures. Keep reaching for that rainbow.

Signing off, over and out,

Suzi
    also known as the Mistress of Mayhem to the greater listening area of northern and central Pennsylvania

also known as LaraCroft

also known as The Smiling Goth

also known as Darkangel

often confused with Dark Clouds and DCs Ghost, but it ain't me

also known as The Leader of the Cult of the Smiley

• Suzis Ghost
    Suzis Ghost

To tie up a loose end,

Alan,

here's the recipe for the soup.

4 or 5 scallions, chopped
    1lb. firm tofu
    5 cans of chicken or vegetable broth (depending on how much you want to make)
    1/4 cup of water mixed with 1/2 tsp of corn starch (trust me, these have to be combined beforehand and mixed)
    1/2lb of linguine or angel hair pasta (more or less depending on how much you like pasta)
    5 Tablespoons of chopped garlic
    5 tablespoons of chopped fresh ginger root
    soy sauce to taste
    chili oil to taste (can be substituted with chili powder)
    2 tablespoons of Rice Wine Vinegar
    1 pckage of shiitake mushrooms sliced(you can always put more or less in, and the fresh ones sliced up are the best in this case)

Sautee the garlic and ginger in a small amount of olive oil until golden brown.
    In a large pot, combine the broth and garlic/ginger
    Boil the broth while you rinse and drain the tofu. Cut the tofu into small cubes, or into strips if you want.
    When broth starts to boil, add shiitake mushrooms, pasta, scallions, soy sauce, chili oil and rice wine vinegar.
    let simmer until pasta is tender.
    Add the corn starch/water mixture and stir. The soup will thicken.
    Let simmer for about ten minutes.

Makes a whole lotta soup. You can rearrange the ingredients or add or subtract to your liking. I usually like to add some Thyme, Sage, and Parsley into the mix, etc. Fresh is best.

let me know what you think. My addee is at the site.

It's been fun, don't be too hard on Chuck. He's got some good ideas, you know. ;)

Suzi

• AlanF
    AlanF

Thanks for the recipe! I'll try it soon.

Interesting comments in the 1st post.

I'm sure Chuck has some good ideas, but he needs to understand his limits. Not a putdown, just good advice.

AlanF

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Well, you know something Suzi? I think you should be as welcome here as any of the rest of us. No, you're not perfect, and yes, you can and do think differently at times than the majority. But is that bad?
    DEFINITELY NOT. It's just different.

So, in closing, I hope you don't go away, but stay and add some diversity.

RCat

• emyrose
    emyrose
    During my time spent here I have seen the best and worst sides of people. I have seen some very intelligent people getting lost in their own words and issues and ego , and I have seen messages being lost in personality and poster's name. I have seen people that may actually genuinely care about others and I have seen those with no agenda but their own.

I hear ya Suzie, I hear ya loud and clear.
    It was really a pity to see you and DC get flogged for
    presenting a different view from the one Alanf and JanH PROCLAIM
    as dogma, and which many of their followers embraced by castigating the hell out of u both. Human factor indeed.
    It's sad that you must leave because I've learned much from your
    presence here, both your ideas and how u handled the treatment
    you got here enlightened me. Of course witnessing your flare for creative expression was delightful too. Good luck with everything in this crazy thing we call life.

Emyrose
    PS, Thanks for coming to my aid during my nasty flogging. U too DC,
    thanks from the bottom of my heart.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Alan: Add 1 Tablespoon of Thai red chili paste, and you have an incredible Thai soup. A little lime juice too. I was sure I was reading my Thai recipe, when I saw Suzi's recipe, to you. (I think it also has a little lemon grass and cilantro) The more I think about it, the less it's the same, but the basics are there.
    Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• Kent
    Kent

Hi there!

Interesting post, and I'm a bit surprised. I'm afraid I'm guilty in mixing up personalities here, but....

I'll try your soup - I love coocking :))

Thanks

Yakki Da

Kent

"The only difference between God and Adolf Hitler is that God is more proficient at genocide."

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• JanH
    JanH

Suzi,

also known as LaraCroft

While we're talking of copyright violations...

I guess we're all honored that someone with your impressive lists of creditentials pays us a visit. LOL. Taking in stray dogs, eh? Well, that explains DC.

Emyrose,

So, the criteria for being allowed to criticize other posters and their opinions here is, basically, to agree with you?

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The DevilĀ“s Dictionary, 1911]

• riz
    riz

suzi,

I don't want you to go. I hope you reconsider. However, I do understand where you are coming from. I wish you the best.

riz

• larc
    larc

Suzi,

I enjoyed reading your bio. I find these more interesting than who knows what on what subject.

You said you were interested in why people became Witnesses. Perhaps that would be a good thread to start. In my case, I was raised in it, developed doubts at the age of about 18, and faded away after I got married at the age of 22. In my wife's case, her parents became Witnesses when she was 12. It was harder for her than me because she had experienced the joys of holiday celebrations, etc. and had to give that up. She had doubts along and faded out with me. That was a blessing.

I could tell you why I think my mother became a witness it you are interested.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit