JW kids...

by neverthere 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

We always watched the Dukes of Hazzard, even our Dad who was and is an elder. Bewitched and Jeanie were definitely out. Any show that dealed with magic or the supernatural, even if there was only one scene in it they would make us turn the channel. I can only remember my dad ever buying us a couple toys growing up and if it wasnt for the grandparents we wouldnt had any. My Dad was super strict even for JW standards and when other kids at hall the would get go-karts and dirtbikes, Dad would never do the same for us. I realize that some JW kids had a relatively smooth childhood, but they are in the minority. My father never just bought us something because he wanted to, he always had to have a good reason, and to beat it all he had a good paying job, at least with some of my worldly family members their parents really wanted their kids to have something and didnt do anything just out of obligation. I could go on and on about this, but time is limited here at the computer.

Dave

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Could not watch fantasy Island (demonism)

Love Boat, Elton John, any science fiction

• carefully faded
    carefully faded

Some of the shows that I remember watching as a kid were:

• Wonderful World of Disney (except for when Escape from Witch Mountain was on)
    • Nancy Drew/Hardy Boy's Mysteries (except for the demonized ones!!)
    • Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and Jaque Cousteau (spelling?)
    • Little House on the Prairie (again, spelling?)
    • The Waltons
    • Charlie's Angels
    • C.H.I.P.S.
    • The Facts of Life
    • The Jeffersons
    • The Bob Newhart Show
    • Mary Tyler Moore
    • The Incredible Hulk
    • That's Incredible
    • Wheel of Fortune
    • Name That Tune
    • Lawrence Welk

On the rare occasion that we got to miss a meeting, we watched that Tuesday night line up of Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, and Mork and Mindy.

- CF

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

I can remember only one show that was specifically being banned by my parents: Dark Shadows. So, we got to watch Bewitched & I Dream of Jeannie and whatever else was not conflicting with the meeting or service schedule ... although Dad always had to make comments about whatever show were were allowed to watch ... like when Jacque Cousteau talked about evolution or if a character on some sitcom was a homosexual, he just had to talk about how these things were in conflict with the Bible. Funny that he never said anything bad about Elizabeth Montgomery or Barbara Eden using magic. Maybe he had the hots for them or something.

Toys ... I didn't have a lot of them in comparison to other kids at the time, but the ones I had were pretty good as far as I was concerned. There were 8 of us kids when I was little, and then after my parents divorced & I was growing up with Dad ... well, money was still a concern. I can look back & understand that now. The only thing I felt like I really missed out on was an Atari. One of the neighbors had one, so of course I wanted one, too. Pong was the coolest!

The part that always sucked about toys was the inevitable questions from 'worldy' kids: What did you get for Christmas? When is your birthday party? And then having to explain (yet again!) why I never celebrated these things ...

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

We were never allowed to have guns, swords etc, but being girls that was never a great issue.

As far as TV we were allowed to watch whatever we really wanted, my dad was a real big sci-fi freak and i loved watching all that stuff with him.

He tried to stop me listening to some types of music, Guns'N'Roses, etc but never really worked as he had AC/DC TNT LP, bought it when I was a baby.

I remember one day i was having a shower and was really pissed at him, so I took my tape deck into the bathroom and played Guns'N'Roses up really loud, I could here him pounding on the door yelling at me to turn it off, I just pretended I could not here him. When i got out he asked me to throw it out, I told him i would when he threw his AC/DC LP's out. He said he would. He never did and nor did I. LOL.

• Lehaa
    Lehaa
    We weren't allowed to have Barbie dolls because my mom thought they were anatomically correct.

LOL.

I don't like them because they are nothing like what a real woman looks like. Would love to see your mom, she must be about 7 foot tall, with really long legs, anorexic with boobs so huge the she keeps falling forward.

Just kidding.LOL

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

As a kid, we had the usual toys. I had sports equipment and my sister had her dolls (Cabbage Patch, even). But as we got older, we mostly played board/card/dice games:
    -Yahtzee
    -Uno
    -Skipbo
    -Sorry!
    -Trouble (with the pop-o-matic bubble!)
    -Monopoly
    -Life
    -Dominos
    -Farkle
    -Greedy
    -Rummy

But my favorite was "Spoons" when you had a really big group. I'd love to get the four of a kind and sneak one out without anyone realizing I had done it. Good thing you used spoons and not knives or forks. It was dangerous enough as it was! My mother bought silverware at yardsales just to get spoons to play the game with. We ruined a few of her "good" spoons one particularly rowdy night.

Country

• talesin
    talesin
    carefully faded
    • Wonderful World of Disney (except for when Escape from Witch Mountain was on)
    • Nancy Drew/Hardy Boy's Mysteries (except for the demonized ones!!)
    • Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and Jaque Cousteau (spelling?)
    • Little House on the Prairie (again, spelling?)
    • The Waltons
    • Charlie's Angels
    • C.H.I.P.S.
    • The Facts of Life
    • The Jeffersons
    • The Bob Newhart Show
    • Mary Tyler Moore
    • The Incredible Hulk
    • That's Incredible
    • Wheel of Fortune
    • Name That Tune
    • Lawrence Welk

On the rare occasion that we got to miss a meeting, we watched that Tuesday night line up of Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, and Mork and Mindy.

LMAO! I didn't know I had another sibling. ;) You grew up in my house, I'm sure!

The first thing I did when I left was start watching Star Trek (finally), and stuff like The Outer Limits (verboten) and The Twilight Zone. Yummy. ;) Oh, and I like to pick just one soap and follow it. Why? Because I can. heheh

• dh
    dh

lego

think

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

The main restriction we placed on our children's toys was economic - and that was a jaydub issue, come to think of it. So they grew up making their own, not just due to poverty but also because it's fun to create stuff. One day, for instance, my son was sitting nearby while a favorite Sister (tm) was visiting us. To keep the rest of his brain busy, he picked up an empty kleenex box and some embroidery floss and turned it into a loom and began weaving himself a bookmark. Sister interrupted to ask, "Do your kids always do that?" I answered "yes," which was the plain truth.

My daughter had a "pretty shelf" in her room where she displayed favorite found objects. She also had a miniature park on top of her bookcase, with trees made of castoff wire decorated with live plum blossoms in season. There was also a pond made of a jar lid.

Most of their toys were second-hand - we had *no* money - and I can't remember what they were, beyond the fact that there were no Barbies (more because my daughter and I were countercultural souls than because I thought Barbies were "immoral" or anything) and my son's toys tended toward building kits and video games rather than guns.

As to TV, my son developed an interest in ThunderCats during its brief run. I always found it difficult to forbid him things, but I disliked the lack of craftsmanship and militaristic tone of the show. However, I don't remember outright forbidding him to watch it; I simply ridiculed the intro -- "KittyCats ... HO!"

Permitted shows for our kids included: Mr. Rogers, Sesame Street, McGyver, Gargoyles (I liked the idea of scary creatures fighting for Good), Batman (my favorite superhero when *I* was a kid) and all the old Warner Bros. cartoons of a Saturday morning. An American art form, dontcha know. I even counted Bugs Bunny as Art homework, because my son at that time wanted to be an animator, and knew enough to assess technique while watching cartoons.

Also Dick Cavett -- yes, my son was a Cavett fan at the age of three!

GentlyFeral

P.S. Neither of my kids are jaydubs today; apparently I brought them up right!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit