Buy A London Bus For Peanuts!

by Englishman 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

London Transport are giving all their remaining Routemaster double deckers the welly boot.

Most of them are around 40 years old.

alt

Anyone can buy one. What's more, a quirk in the UK licencing laws allows anyone with a valid car licence to drive one! The only snag is you can't transport more than 8 passengers at any one time. Any more than that requites a full Public Service Vehicle qualification.

£2000 gets you a heap. £6000 gets you a pretty good one in full working order. £10,000 gets you a really pristine wax polished showroom model. Whatever you want, their are 100's for sale, waiting to be shipped all over the globe.

Interested?

Englishman.

• Celtic
    Celtic

Someone go halfs with me and we'll convert it on board to include hot tub and jacuzzi and go travelling together. £10,000 is a snip, absolute bargain for these living peices of history. How about an ApostoDoubleDeckerBus?

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

There was a bank in Amarillo, Texas several years ago that actually owned one of these buses. They had it set up so they could offer banking services at fairs, fests and other activities which drew crowds. Great advertising.

There was a British bank which was heavly invested in the Amarillo Bank and they sent a female rep over to discuss the business and the locals took her to the Airport in this bus which was named "Bob the Bank Wagon. The bank was eventually bought by another concern and Bob Disappeared. Pity.

• Englishman
    Englishman

The buses will still be a major part of London life. It's just that they'll be a newer model.

alt

alt

Englishman.

• avishai
    avishai

Darn right, I'm interested! I've always wanted one for a motor home!

• Englishman
    Englishman

avishai,

OK, Matey, here's your link if you want to see what's on offer:

http://www.ensignbus.com/

Englishman.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

These buses were revolutionary for their time - the first to be built with modern techniques and from modern materials - largely of fibreglass to make them lighter. London Transport developed them in association with AEC and Leyland who each built their own prototypes. The first were given stock nos to indicate their maker i.e. RM or RML.

When Mrs Ozzie and I were last in London, about 3 years ago, we were amazed to see them still on the road. Certainly they should be retired but still it's sad.

I'd love to buy one, but where would I put it? Maybe I can park it at Bethel?

Cheers, ozzie

• Englishman
    Englishman

Ozzie,

Trucker informs me that you need to prove that you have suitable place to keep your bus before they will pass it over to you.

Englishman.

• glitter
    glitter

I'd love a London bus, haven't seen a red bus in about 18 years here.

Anyone want to lend me 10k? Or make it 20k so I can tart it up lots?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

OK Eman, I can't resist!

Get me one of the genuine one old lady driver models and ship it to me at 30 Zouch Road, Ingleburn, NSW 2565

I'll pick it up in the morning!!!!

Thanx, Ozzie

PS could you make sure it's gift wrapped.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit