Interesting article on the state of humanity and charity....

by Xander 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus
    The idea that selective breeding can improve the species doesn't seem a flawed one on its own.

It is proven to work. Actually, hitler had a broad plan of germany (greater germany, i suppose), england, and the usa as buddies. The white race nations getting together. That's why he made overtures to england, and why he carefully avoided american ships on the high seas. Under churchill, england rebuffed him, and the claim that he blew up an american ship was a false one.

S

• proplog2
    proplog2

So perhaps the JW's aren't the "only" ones who don't carry the burden of the worlds poor.

Some may argue that under the current world situation more people would eventually starve if it weren't for the consumption habits of Americans.

This is one of the reasons I think the Bible is still an extraordinary book. It suggests that there is something "deep" and "intrinisic" about the worlds problems. Humans can't solve these problems. There has to be a world revolution with help from the sky.

The poor you will have with you always. The rich have to die. The meek shall inherit the earth.

That's the message of Christ.

From an evolutionary view the poor and starving are biologically successful. They keep reproducing in greater numbers than the rich who live long enough to die of cancer and heart disease.

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa
    So perhaps the JW's aren't the "only" ones who don't carry the burden of the worlds poor.

? is this statement suppose to make it OK that the WTBTS feels NO RESPONSIBILITY to help the poor, feed the hungry, help the homeless, OR encourage their members to do so on a personal level as apart of the Christian ministry????

This is one of the reasons I think the Bible is still an extraordinary book.

Oh, its ?extraordinary? alright. Genocide seems to be God?s favorite way of ?curing? the earth of its problems.

It suggests that there is something "deep" and "intrinisic" about the worlds problems.

Uh, huh. Satan, that wiley old snake. I prefer ?Pandora?s Box? as a ?deep? and ?intrinsic? explanation for the world?s problems.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

After taxes, my household income isn't quite the $30K this guy figures for necessities. But still:

My personal rule is to give as much to charity as I spend on jewelry, which effectively splits my luxury budget down the middle.

But that says I don't value a child's life any higher than a new pair of earrings....

But I refuse to do without my earrings, and every pair of earrings triggers a donation to charity...doesn't this mean I view a new pair of earrings as much as, no less than, as a child's life?

Oscar Wilde said: "Look after the luxuries, and the necessities will take care of themselves." He was right. Everyone has "essential luxuries," things they will sacrifice some essentials for. Charity is one of mine.

GentlyFeral
    looking forward to the day when her job is secure enough to allow her to resume contributing to the JT Leroy fund

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Jesus once said that "the poor would always be among us". I pay no mind to the problem of wold poverty and hunger. It's an issue that will never ever be resolved my mankind.

I do what I can in my immediate community and put the thought to rest.

DY

• proplog2
    proplog2

Tashawa:

It is hypocritical to pick on the Watchtower on this issue. Helping people live moral lives is a noble way of helping the poor. Sometimes a hope is all that is needed to make a difference. JWs DO a very good job of looking out for each other. As with any system there may be people who fall through the safety net but that is not the typical situation. Any how nobody has any figures on this sort of thing. This forum of moaners and groaners in no way represents a statistical cross section of the 6.5 million JW's world wide.

But I forgot. I'm not allowed to defend JW's on this open forum. Your ridicule has zero effect on me. Go get some facts.

• talesin
    talesin

I would like to see some CORPORATE responsibility. I mean, the multinationals are where the real riches lie. (hint, pharmaceuticals, insurance, oil and media empires)

But no, let's heap all the guilt for the starving children of the world on the working class. After all, we have consciences, so we will take up the slack that remains after the industrialists rape the third world for natural resources and cheap labour.

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa
    It is hypocritical to pick on the Watchtower on this issue.

Nobody EVEN mentioned the WTBTS until YOU did, and you acknowledged that they fail to AID the poor and hungry.

Helping people live moral lives is a noble way of helping the poor. Sometimes a hope is all that is needed to make a difference.

Isn?t there a scripture that says (paraphrase) that if you see your ?brother going without clothes, food, etc and yet say ?Stay warm and well fed? and do not give them the necessities?? how did Jesus define ?brother? hmmm, story of the Samaritian comes to mind. So why doesn?t the Society with a portion of its Billion dollar a year profit actually use some of this money in a CHARITABLE way?

JWs DO a very good job of looking out for each other. As with any system there may be people who fall through the safety net but that is not the typical situation.

Ugh. We each go by our own experiences. Well, our family MUST have been one of the ?few? that slipped through the cracks. My mom a single parent with FOUR children on social services. I remember the ones that helped us in the community were: a Pharmacist who supplied a year of diapers and formula for her new baby twins, a Doctor who gave her part time work (she was unskilled), a neighbor who would drive her places, a grocerer who would give her ?gift? certificates for food, ?Goodwill? clothing stores that made clothing us affordable? all worldly. The scripture that the true faith is identified by ?looking after widows and fatherless boys? always escapes the quote section of the Watchtower.

You know that the Society DOES not encourage its members to ?give? outside the organization. So far, its not prohibited, but I mean, what would be the point? God is going to wipe everyone out shortly, so feeding the hungry (worldly) person is just a waste of money?.

Any how nobody has any figures on this sort of thing.

Yah, how could anybody get figures???? Its not like the Society is meticulous when it comes to tracking hours, publishers, pioneers, RV, studies, placements, etc etc. I mean, its not like they are capable of keeping records of their ?charitable? works.

This forum of moaners and groaners in no way represents a statistical cross section of the 6.5 million JW's world wide.

But you sure do!!! Besides, how does this in anyway resolve the issue that the WTBTS operates more as a Publishing company instead of a charity????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit