Will Armstrong make it a record 6th win in the Tour de France?

by Simon 12 Replies latest social physical

• Simon
    Simon

It would make him the greatest cyclist ever. He has just gone into the lead in the Tour De France and his team look incredibly strong (it is a team sport).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/3874523.stm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5359289

Some amazing facts about him:

Brain During his grueling treatment for testicular cancer, which struck him in September 1996, Armstrong underwent brain surgery and later chemotherapy so aggressive that it destroyed his musculature, burned parts of skin and gave him permanent kidney damage.

Mouth
    Armstrong must consume a massive quantity of food each day during the Tour de France. He will burn up about 6,500 calories every day for three weeks, and more than 10,000 on one of the 120-mile mountain stages. Compare that with the average person, who uses 3,500 on an active day and 2,500 on a sedentary day.

A typical Armstrong pre-race feast might include two huge plates of pasta and an energy bar -- on top of a full breakfast.

Heart Armstrong?s heart is nearly one-third larger than that of the average man. Resting, it beats an average of 32 times per minute. During peak performance, it will top out at more than 200.

Lungs
    Armstrong?s lungs can perform at twice the capacity of the average healthy man. Technically speaking, Armstrong's lungs use 85 milliliters of oxygen per kilogram of body weight during exercise, compared with 40 for other men. The body uses oxygen to break down food into components we use for energy.

Body fat At the start of the Tour de France, Armstrong has a body-fat level of about 4-5 percent. The average man has between 15-17 percent, whereas elite athletes are in the 6-12 range.

Thigh
    Lance?s femur bone is a rarity in that it is considerably longer than the average man?s, and that gives him the ability to apply more torque to the pedals.

Musculature Armstrong produces less lactic acid, which builds up in muscles when they start to work beyond their aerobic capacity, and metabolizes it better. This uncanny ability allows Armstrong to ride strong and long, while other cyclists taper off.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5289509

• franklin J
    franklin J

...if he wins; thats just great for him!

...if he does not take the lead; he has many other Trophies to fall back on

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

Lies:

Have to withstand constant attack from a fired assistant that a willing French press is eager to give a voice to.

LABD

• Valis
    Valis

w00t! Another Texan kicking ass! I bet he will win this one.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I have a lot of admiration for Lance Armstrong. If any of you read his first auto-biography "It's not about the bike" - it's a great read! I can see how he rubs some people wrong, but his sheer determination to overcome the overcome-able is something I love! I wish I could be more like that.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

The Jehovah's Witness religion stunted my femur, and that's the only reason I'm not in France right now!

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

The guy's a machine.... pure and simple.

• Princess
    Princess

We are rooting for Lance. He is an absolutely amazing athlete. Thanks for all the stats Simon. A resting heart rate of 32 is just incredible.

I was never much interested in the Tour until last year when I got back into cycling. This year I feel like I'm cheating when I sneak downstairs to watch the morning coverage of the Tour. Then I watch it again with Steve in the evening. He doesn't mind though...I sleep through so much of it in the evening and then he wakes me up for the finish line. Besides, he usually gets a web update so the finish is no secret anyway.

Yep, I'm great company while training.

• LongHauler
    LongHauler

If I were him I wouldn't mind losing. Just look at the girlfriend he's got to comfort him. Shwing!

LH

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Hell yeah!

The blue train is rolling! Been watching the Tour for 25 years now and this should be among the best.

LIVESTRONG - ARMSTRONG provides great inspiration to follow your dreams.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit