Having Fun - need the UK'ers

by jwbot 14 Replies latest jw friends

• jwbot
    jwbot

Ok so lets have a little fun topic.

I think I was born in the wrong country and I was MEANT to be born in the UK. Help a girl out.

What are some of the slang terms you use so I can put them into my every day conversation (and confuse people) for some fun!

My brother uses the word "Jit" (git? jet?) What does it mean?

TALLY-HO!

• glitter
    glitter

Git means bastard - means the same as "get" = "beget" etc.

Fag means cigarette... have fun with that one!

Here are two sites that look promising: http://www.effingpot.com/ and http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/

Hehe we will help you with your British slang grammar! To be convincing, don't mix regions - like, don't say "I'm going up the apples and pears to put the bairns to bed" cos that would sound really stupid!

• baysixforme
    baysixforme

"Git" or "Get"......... the meaning may vary from region to region. Where I come from it's not exactly polite but neither is it too offensive. For instance I might call my fourteen year old son a "little get" when he persistently winds me up but it's usually a word spoken in jest, like when we are laughing/joking etc. However, I would not call my four year old daughter a "git" or "get". It is not something that I would like to hear her repeat.

Bay64me

• baysixforme
    baysixforme

Oh dear, glitter, I never knew it meant that! Will have to watch my tongue in future!

• Brummie
    Brummie

The bloke dragged a fag = the man inhaled a cigarette

You little git = you spoilt brat (or bastard as explained)

Would you like spotted dick for afters? = Would you like current cake for desert?

Brumm

• Simon
    Simon

The confusing thing about UK slang is that derogatory terms are often used among friends & relatives as endearments.

We like to confuse people

• glitter
    glitter

Oh and git has a hard-g like "green", not a soft-g like "gerbil".

You would only say it to a man - I'd only say "git" to a older man - and "get" to a male teen or a young man.

In the Harry Potter books Ron says "git" a fair few times, referring to Snape which is fine, and Draco which is jarring as it's not something teenage boys call each other. Of course what teenage boys *do* call each other may not be suitable for children's literature.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Study Celtic's posts. Ya bloody ruddy bugger balmpot.

• Englishman
    Englishman

It can be confusing.

"Bugger", ie "You bugger" implies rogueishness even if it actually means someone who has sex by the back door.

"Sod" is a similar friendly insult. We do insult each other extraordinarily well as do the Norwegians.

Pissed = drunk.

Piss - up = drinking bout.

Pissed off or pissy = very annoyed.

Englishman.

• Celtic
    Celtic

Go up to your best girl friend, tell her she looks like a mingin slapper, she'll probaly smile at you and thank you for the compliment.

Let me know how it works, sure she'll be really pleased with you.

Celty

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit