Personal Growth

by simplesally 16 Replies latest jw friends

• simplesally
    simplesally

Have any of you thought of going to college since you left the JW's? Now that its not forbidden and you are free to do what you want .... it should not matter how old you are.

I know...... you think: I am 35 or 40 or 52, go to college?

Check out this link: http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/clep/about.html

I am thinking about getting a marketing degree. Taking the CLEP (which is up to 30 college credits) will save over a year of college and I do have a year under my belt already. Maybe, maybe getting my real estate license back (I let it lapse).

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

If I was to go to college I would try to get a degree in 'Pharmacy'. In demand, and pays well!

I did go to Penn State years ago, or maybe it was 'State Pen' , I can't remember!

A lot of JW's went to the school of 'Hard Knocks'!

Outaservice

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Go for it Sally! I feel it's never too late to go to college - such a valuable experience at any age, I would think. Even just taking various college classes is upbuilding and beneficial IMO.

• Special K
    Special K

I agree seeit.. Go for it Sally,

I think that some Universities have child care now even.. or maybe even subsidize child care. I forget how old your daughter is.. seem to recollect her being between the 3 - 5 age bracket.

That would be cool. Go back for a degree and have your daughter somewhere on campus ..

all the best Sally..

Special K

• mrbarthoss
    mrbarthoss

Sally,.........I will tell you the experience that I am having with school (age 40); There are a great deal of adults about my age at the university I attend (UMKC, home of the Kangaroos!!!!!!) the school's career assistance board is amazing in helping establish a schedule, arrange for financing, etc.

What is very apparent after getting involved with the whole academic scene again, is that YOU are a paying customer, and they help you meet your objective!

Good luck to you and anyone else determined to finish school!!!

-Bart

p.s.: Although I work in the mortgage business, I maintain my real estate license,........I would encourage you to renew, as well............whether you work as a traditional realator or not, it is good to be abreast of new real estate statutes, etc.

• simplesally
    simplesally

I am not thinking of going to college in the traditional way. I would do it online thru some of the more accepted Universities, like University of Phoenix. My girlfriend is taking one course at a time at night. One night a week for a couple hours, then intensive homework projects each week.

I think I might already have enough units for an AA but need to check. Then I would just want the BA or BS, so an online program for the rest of the credits. I am thinking about a degree in marketing??

Seeit and Special K: I have too many bills and a mortgage to quit work and go back full time!!

I am thinking that if I got my real estate licensce again, I could be a realtor. I am in the RV business now (finance manager) and pretty good at sales and marketing. I am always giving the manager ideas about how to arrange the lot ... setting up lifestyle displays, which he did and everyone loved it........customers were more inclined to go in those units than the ones set up in row after row.

Anyhoo.....my mom was a realtor. My dad thinks that with looks, smarts and sales savvy that I could easily write myself a big fat check and control my schedule better which in retail RV sales I am stuck working weekends. But I am stuck on that big paycheck. Need to find a way out but still make the check.

• jwbot
    jwbot

SimpleSally: it is so great you want to take courses and better yourself. It is never too late!

I would take a careful look into the online courses and if they are accredated...just make sure.

I go to the University of Maine and there are many non-traditional students there. Some of the wisest and most wonderful people I talk to and meet up with are older. There is one woman who is just so awesome, her name is Margarette and she is probably 45/50 years old...she is an old hippy and I am a young one, we get along great. :)

• Special K
    Special K

Got ya Sally I understand the route you are thinking about now.

A steady pay check when you live on your own with a young daughter. Yes, I can see how that is quite necessary.

I guess that there are many mature students who have got their degrees through correspondence courses; a night or two a week credits.. and teleconferencing. I took some teleconference courses through a University a few years back. I rather liked it. Gave me flexibility, no long distance travelling and still got to talk to the professor through the teleconferencing avenue.

Depending where you are real estate business can be good.. depends on where you live I guess. It would certainly give you more flexibility I would think.

I just know you'll figure something out, Sally.

Special K

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

College/university - go for it simplesally! Several years after I made my complete break for freedom I enrolled in university (distance). I graduated last year with my BA, and I'm now in Master's studies. It has been the most wonderful experience of my life, and my graduation day was an emotional high second only to the birth of my daughters. The acquisition of knowledge in itself has set me free - if you ever had any lingering doubts left about what Jw's say, once you go to university you know for sure that they are dead wrong (which I guess is why they never let us go to university).

Regarding where to attend, distance university can be an excellent choice if you don't have the ability to attend a campus. But you need to be careful, some distance universities are not accredited as jwbot has pointed out, and the degree you will earn is not reputable (one you mention in your post is better avoided). Do some research & ask lots of questions - here in Canada we have one of the best in the world, Athabasca U - until you find one that suits your needs.

Depending on your circumstances, you may even be eligible for student funding like loans/grants, etc. University/college is hard work, particularly if you choose distance studies. But the reward is worth it.

Back in 1996 when I hesitated, thinking I was too old to start university, thinking I'd be a senior citizen before I graduated, a good friend asked me how old I would be ten years from now. When I responded, *x* years old, she said, "and if you don't go to university, ten years from now you will still be *x* years old, but without a degree."

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

oh, and I forgot to add - check out Athabasca U's PLAR process. http://prior-learning.athabascau.ca/ Other universities also have this, whereby you can submit a portfolio which is assessed for credits - it can save you a lot of time & money.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit