Weird habits and trends of JW's

by Junction-Guy 17 Replies latest jw friends

• freein89
    freein89

I remember all of the get rich schemes!!! The latest I have heard on the medical front is going Mexico for a cancer treatment. Anybody heard of this? It sounded a bit like laetril (sp?). Anyone remember laetril? I thought that fizzled out years ago. Anyway, off to Mexico for some treatment not available or legal in the US.

Any info on this?

Deb

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Good point Ezikiel about C T Russell. not only is his tomb stone in the shape of a pyramid. Look at the structure of his beliefs. The Divine plan of the Ages are all based on the Pyramids. The Chart of the Ages. He was hung up on this. as well as a free mason and was fasinated by the occult and numerology.

Also I remember this couple of JWs who were into " Iridology " they would study the Iris and tell you what was wrong with you. They left nothing out, like my whole body was a mess according to their study. Then after the results are givin to you. and it cost quite a bit then they tell you what you have to buy that will

Miraculously cure you off all that ails you.

This is just one of the many many things that JW.s use to get you hooked into their clutches. and if you didn't preform at top sales you were soon being ostracized by them. Or there was hard feelings and many times ends up in committee meetings for having so called stumbled your brother. All that crap.

Damn it I can't stop this from being highlighted in yellow. How do you undo this action?????

Anyways I think one big reason so many JWs are involved in get rich quick shemes is that the Society from the late 50 s and 60's that to get a higher education was frowned upon and if you weren't out pioneering you were looked down on. So many followed the Society and didn't go unto higher education and I think they get bitter and so getting involved in getting rich fast appeals to them. I know I forwent my education and I have regretted all my live since. I was lucky though because I am an avid reader and study alot about humanity and civilizations and cultures arts and whatever else there is . I educated myself. However I never did get rich because I always believed Jehovah disapproved of it. YOU know the Seek first the kingdom and all else will be added". I lived by all the damn rules the Society told us, being a good Christian etc....

Now I see that all this was part of the brainwashing of the Organization

Yes JWs do have some very wierd ways of doing things. Didn't you know that this is what makes them so unique!!!!

Well enough on my part.

Love Orangefatcat...

• jgnat
    jgnat

One of the speeches at this year's convention addresses get-rich-quick schemes directly. I have taken a page from Blondie's book, and figure if they are talking about it, this is a problem in the society. I agree with ezekiel,

JWs are easy targets for pyramid schemes and the like.

The JW's I have met are anti-establishment. They mistrust major institutions like the United Nations, democracy, the catholic church. They also mistrust traditional medicine, preferring anecdotal evidence and miracle cures. I have heard the weirdest urban legendy stuff from JW's. For example, did you know that the number printed on the bottom of the plastic water bottles tells you how many re-uses it has before it becomes bacteria infected? Also, the best way to preserve youthful, healthy hair is to rinse it in bean-water. The woman who spewed this helpful advice obviously holds a fairly powerful position in the Kingdom hall, considering how the women hung on every word. When she raved over beanwater, however, I did note a flash or two of skepticism from her doting audience. Yes, I would say the JW's are ripe for quackery.

My sister is a doctor. I have learned, by watching her, why doctors are so conservative. They hate losing patients. They therefore tend to stick with tried-and-true remedy, and only switch when a new cure is proven superior.

A JW, on the other hand, will read one article about the dangers of smallpox vaccinations, and yank their kid out of the vaccination program. These same people could peddle a spinach cancer cure based on one convincing testimonial. Don't look at the deep research, gloss the surface. After all, they have been conditioned for it.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

The going to mexico thing is for three reasons. Regular cancer treatment is cheaper and JWs used to be poor and uninsured (in westren medicine if you are uninsured amuptate first expensive treatments never). In mexico you can still use a cyanide based chemotherapy known for killing the patients as well as it kills the cancer. And a large crop of maya quack herbalist that recomend the same thing the fda recomends about a healthy diet and excercise and usually throw in one mystic ingredint or indian cure.

My aunt is under the catagory of too poor to afford western medical treatment category. She has some type of something that keeps going into remission. My uncle runs the regional building program but his secret identity is a lowly contractor that lives in the poorest part of LA. When ever her mystery disease acts up they go of to mexico. Also mexico "let you keep your hair". Most chemotherapies here are regulated. Over there medicine is watered down alot. I notice Drs promise their patients can keep their hair yet claim to have the same treatment. Which means they are cutting the dose most likely.

My other aunt died of cancer because she sold herbs and the Dr only said his treatment could give her 5 years. So she hooked up with a chinese dr and did all this herbal stuff. SHe actually had money and the chinese dr was more expensive than the oncologist. She happly died 10 years later claiming her herbs worked just as well of totally untreated cancer. At the last minute she opted for surgery (she did not know dying of cancer was more painful than the treatments). The doctors said their was nothing inside her lungs left to cut the cancer out of. She died shortly after.

I saw a law and order on women and quack drs. IT is because women care more about their hair and breast more than statistics. I know a sister that was a teacher she did not care about either and fought cancer for 20 years. After her daughters grew up she decided to stop.

I think when it comes to JWs and quacks it depends of if you could afford conventional medicine and if the conventional medicine is as brutal as the alternative. Because as you know that ressurection hope tends to take the actuall fear of dying from your disease out of the equation.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

cyber-sister a lot of what your talking about comes from early wt teaching on quack medicine. like miracle oil , radio desease killer, grape cure for cancer etc, the list is to long to remember. my dad went for some of this quack cures when he had colon cancer after 3 years of this , he finally went to a real doctor and now has to wear the crap bag. waited to long. guess the creators promise about the generation of 1914 didn't come to pass. i can't seem to copy and paste anymore but check JW RESEARCH SITE. OFF the freeminds link page. you will be knocked off your seat on wt quack medicine. it's a great read.... all x and active jw's should read that site. really give you an idea what the wt was teaching 80 years ago. sad very sad. john

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

JWs are definitely interested in alternative medicines. I remember seeing a magazine called "Prevention" in many JW homes, supposedly it contained information not available elsewhere.

Many sisters in particular were into iridology, the idea of being able to assess another person "at a glance" may have had some appeal. Also many were strongly interested in foot reflexology, in which it was claimed that every organ and nerve on your body was connected to a corresponding region of the foot. Problems elsewhere could be relieved by massage to the foot, etc.

I met an elderly brother who had been a witness as a young man in the 1940s, who thought doctors were all quacks, and who believed that all one needed to do was eat healthy food and take lots of vitamins. In a restauraunt, he once ordered some fried chicken (not my idea of health food) and proceeded to eat it, along with the BONES! He claimed that the bones were a good source of calcium. I was shocked to learn that he was only in his 60s (at the time), because he had the appearance of being 90 or more, very withered and frail.

Regarding employment, it probably doesn't qualify as a pyramid scheme, but quite a few of the brothers worked for a company called Trim-Line, which sold pinstripes, vinyl tops, etc to automobile dealerships. I believe the company was owned by some JWs somewhere, and consisted of exclusively JW employees at the time.

• new light
    new light

Since were now on the topic of alternative medicine, here's my $.02. The JWs are so controlled and monitored in almost every decision, that where there is no set directive, they just go crazy trying to express themselves. Politics are not to be discussed. Sports must be kept under strict control. Self-discovery is looked at very suspiciously. Clothing must conform to "theocratic" standards. Artistic expression cannot take too much time and certainly should not be "weird". Unfortunately, one of the only areas in which they have a measure of freedom is their choice of medicine. The spirit of these people is crushed under the heavy weight of rules and regulations, but, like anything subjected to extreme pressure, it finds a way out, in this case through any hole in the wall of GB mandates. If only the JWs were allowed to express themselves healthily, they would have a more balanced view of medicine. There are the other extremists within the org as well. The ones that are 110% behind Western medicine, the ones that pop painkillers and anti-depressants like Tic-Tacs just to make it through another day in the "spiritual paradise".

• Confucious
    Confucious

NewLight,

AWESOME Post and view point.

I think you're on to something there.

Con

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit