Creation vs Evolution? or Creation and Evolution?

by azaria 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hooberus,

I have shown above on this thread that those who apriori limit themselves to only "naturalistic" explanations (as many evolutionists do) have themselves reached a conclusion before looking at the data.

Wrong. The reason you are wrong Hooberus is because you are ignoring the evidential steps already uncovered by science, steps that are irrefutable. Scientists may have, as they often do, suggest a hypothesis within an already established framework, science justifies or condemns this hypothesis by discovered fact.

It is a simple process to understand the difference between para-science ( Creationism and ID Creationism ) by noting that some scientists may or may not believe in a God, while ALL Creationists do. An agenda is quite obvious, a pre-concluded one with all Creationists, and one which I am sure you would not deny at all.

As to my other question, which you have consistently and continually ignored over three threads now, would you like me to start a thread specifically dealing with this question?

Best regards - HS

• El blanko
    El blanko

For me, I believe that an almighty God kick-started the universe and built into every living organism the ability to adapt/evolve according to environment. I personally do not believe in cross-species evolution and have never witnessed evidence to persuade me of this theory.

I am still investigating my belief system and keep an open mind to other possibilities. I have to in order to remain neutral & reasonable.

I personally use intuition to discern God, otherwise I would be agnostic, as the counter arguments for intelligent design can twist my brain into a knot.

That is where I am at (currently).

It is nice to see a thread supporting creation for a change

• El blanko
    El blanko
    We have a desire to live, to love, to create. That?s how God created us. Chance doesn?t care if we create, if we love, if we survive. What about music, art, literature? What inspires these people to create beauty? Beauty in nature (created for no other purpose but for our enjoyment-flowers, birds, a snow flake), a new born baby, the love for our children, family? Why do we have joy, agony, tears, laughter, pain, pleasure? Where does that desire come from? Why all the senses, taste, feel, see, hear? For no other reason than survival? Yet we use all these senses for survival and pleasure. All this is chance, all of life is one big cosmic accident, with no purpose? We are spiritual beings. Why should we be? What?s the point when all this is by chance?

Good points ..! I have wondered this myself when filled with doubt.

If we are simply an organism attempting to survive, then surely we would channel our vital energy towards the consummation of other life to feed ourselves, the host.

Witnessing acts of love towards other humans and even extending in many cases towards the environment and the animal kingdom helps to firm my belief that we have a unique part of us that defies the cold logic(?) of the evolutionist.

Now, the evolutionist may assert that human consciousness is simply extending out and feeling it's way through other areas of knowledge in order to expand outwards and find other branches to help protect our lineage. Which may sound reasonable. Yet weighed against the former argument of a creator implanting a desire for us to cherish and cradle aestheticism, which feels right?

To me, there is no warmth and love in the former argument.

The evolutionist would have mankind strip the universe part to acquire knowledge. Where as, I assert that using our basic intuition, we can find the deeper truths from within our adult frame.

Their cold and mechanical vision I do not wish to share.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

El Blanko,

The evolutionist would have mankind strip the universe part to acquire knowledge. Where as, I assert that using our basic intuition, we can find the deeper truths from within our adult frame.

You may or may not be entirely correct in this assertion and this illustrates my point.

I have no issue with Creationists of the YEC, or ID variety as long as they honestly accept that what they believe is not science, but para-science. Many scientists can and do function both as scientists and para-scientists as when scientific data ends para-science begins. As long as the scientist in question does not allow para-science to dictate the direction of science, driving it into a quagmire of agendas, then who could complain.

It has to be acknowledged with a sense of humility, that Creationism and ID Creationism are patently dishonest belief systems if they seek to establish a foundation for themselves not supported by pure scientific evidence. Though scientists individually mat have a personal agenda, science does not have, nor can it.

I understand that our conciousness cries out for something more than science in understanding these things. The vast complexity of life on earth, the hugeness of space, the purpose and meaning of human life, the mystery that lies at the root of matter, the creativity involved in the structure of the building blocks of visible things, these are things that confound us and impel us all to keep searching for answers. I keep very open-minded about these matters myself on an emotional level, only a fool would not. However, this sort of emotional 'intuition' is not what science is about and the evolution versus creation issue will always be settled by science and not para-science.

Best regards - HS

• hooberus
    hooberus

Hooberus,
    I have shown above on this thread that those who apriori limit themselves to only "naturalistic" explanations (as many evolutionists do) have themselves reached a conclusion before looking at the data.
    Wrong. The reason you are wrong Hooberus is because you are ignoring the evidential steps already uncovered by science, steps that are irrefutable. Scientists may have, as they often do, suggest a hypothesis within an already established framework, science justifies or condemns this hypothesis by discovered fact.

Please give a few examples of these "evidential steps already uncovered by science, steps that are irrefutable"

As to my other question, which you have consistently and continually ignored over three threads now, would you like me to start a thread specifically dealing with this question?

I would prefer to deal with the issue (ie: your claim that creationism is NOT science) that you raised on your first post on this thread, rather than get into other issues raised by you on the "why is there death and suffering" thread. If I decide to take the time to go into your points on the other thread I will probably do it there, or you may wish to search in some of the mainline creationist organization websites.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

On an island we know there is a beach filled with exclusively smooth white pebbles. My traveling partner claims that aliens must have done it because pebbles that are white are rare and there all being smooth proves that someone cared about our not cutting our feet. I point out that there is a large limestone deposit under our feet and that that explains the white color. He says the aliens must have put the deposit there so that they could use it to make the pebbles. I pointed out that the mainland a dozen miles away also had limestone deposits and mining operations. He said ya, but it is not at the surface like it is here, so the aliens must have raised the deposit to the surface so they could use it to make the white pebbles. I point out that similar white beaches occur in geologically similar locations. He said that that may be true but the aliens might have been there too, or that the white pebbles are not always smooth like they are here. I point out that the smooth pebbles are when studied closely actually not identically smooth, some are more rounded then others and that this suggests a randomness to the process. He said that aliens make things using natural processes such as erosion but that they controlled the processes to make what they want. I point out that there are black pebble beaches with similarly rounded pebbles. He said that that those beaches are naturally occuring because they are not as pretty as this one, this one is special. Going back to geology I point out that the limestone deposit here and on the mainland have fossil sea shells in it and that that means that the limestone, which is mostly calcium carbonate, was at one time at the surface in both places. Also I point out that the process of calcium deposition was occcurring at the surface at this very time in lakes and seas. He calls me a doubter.

• heathen
    heathen

I think hooberus made some interesting points here . Evolution science is not entirely based on provable fact . It's a swiss cheese theory at best . They continue to spend millions of dollars searching the solar system for evidence to support theories that include such things like, life could have started here by an asteroid fertilizing the planet . When they couldn't prove that life took billions of years to evolve from specie to specie they decided that life made huge changes in it's molecular structure so as to adapt to the environment without creating useless lifeforms that couldn't function or serve a purpose . Life as we know it appears to have been genetically programmed . IMO

• azaria
    azaria

Thanks to all who responded. Just got home from work a while ago and I'm just too tired. Copied your responses to WordPerfect and will read off line later. I'll try to respond tomorrow.

• AlanF
    AlanF

I noted the following exchange between Hobberus and Hillary_Step:

Hobberus: I have shown above on this thread that those who apriori limit themselves to only "naturalistic" explanations (as many evolutionists do) have themselves reached a conclusion before looking at the data.

HS: Wrong. The reason you are wrong Hooberus is because you are ignoring the evidential steps already uncovered by science, steps that are irrefutable. Scientists may have, as they often do, suggest a hypothesis within an already established framework, science justifies or condemns this hypothesis by discovered fact.

Hobberus: Please give a few examples of these "evidential steps already uncovered by science, steps that are irrefutable"

The evidential steps are part of the history of science and ought to be known by anyone claiming a knowledge of science. Here's an example of such steps, adpated from a debate I had with a YEC a couple of months ago:

I want to say something about the basic philosophy of Intelligent Design, starting with a story about Isaac Newton. Newton was a committed Christian and wrote quite a bit of material in support of the Bible and Christianity. He saw a great deal of evidence of God?s handiwork in the natural world. But there was a problem that he never solved. In 1687 he published his revolutionary work The Principia on physics and gravity. A few years later, astronomers predicted the orbits of Jupiter and Saturn using his mathematics. But they found that the measured positions didn?t quite match up. Newton attributed this to God?s tinkering with the orbits. There was no scientific answer to the problem until the English astronomer William Herschel discovered the planet Uranus in 1781. By about 1800, astronomers had fully worked out how Uranus perturbed the orbits of Jupiter and Saturn, so there was no need to ascribe their motions to God?s tinkering.

This story illustrates the so-called "God of the Gaps" problem. Scientific knowledge is, of course, always provisional, never certain. There are always gaps in understanding, just as Newton didn?t understand why his theory of gravity didn?t appear to work perfectly. Like Newton, some Christians have attributed to God the mechanism behind various gaps in knowledge. But, as with Newton, in many cases the gaps have disappeared as scientists made new discoveries. Over the years this disappearance has caused a good deal of embarrassment to Christians who espoused such ideas, so today many Christians are loath to propose any kind of "God of the Gaps" theory to account for the many gaps in scientists? knowledge of the mechanisms of evolution. My point is that the fact that scientists don?t now know the exact mechanism behind something in nature is not a particularly good reason to ascribe that mechanism to God. One problem for Intelligent Design, then, is that it may amount to yet another "God of the Gaps" theory.

I trust that I won't have to enumerate the evidentiary steps evident in the above two paragraphs. The fact is that scientists have always found, as did Lagrange, that they didn't need a hypothesis like "God did it" to explain various scientific phenomena. They were able to explain things using naturalistic explanations, i.e., explanations that rely only on the so-called laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy in our universe. So it was with Darwin in attempting to explain the way species are apparently related. He didn't need a "God of the Gaps" theory, and neither do modern day scientists. That doesn't mean that scientists have all the answers, for they evidently do not. But experience shows that resorting to "God did it" is no explanation at all.

I leave open in my mind the question of ultimate origins. Perhaps some Supreme Creator or a race of super-intelligent aliens from an alternate universe created life on earth, or even our entire physical universe. We simply don't know. What I do believe is that no "God of the Bible" exists or had any hand in such creation. But that's a subject for a different thread.

AlanF

• azaria
    azaria

I said I would respond tomorrow but would like to throw out a couple of questions tonight.

I sometimes wish I was smart (I’m not being sarcastic) I’m not really into remembering a lot of data. I’m more of a creative person, touchy, feely, believing in intuition,; not so much analytical. I do realize that there are different kinds of intelligence. Some people are good at retaining data, some are good at analyzing it, some at abstract thought, some people are emotionally intelligent, etc. So I shoulnd’t be hard on myself. But I am curious.

My question's are: How long has this universe been in existence? I’m not really into information from the internet. I would prefer it from an actual book. Also do you think that Darwin’s theory still holds up or do you think it’s obsolete and other theories have replaced it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit