Jesus Christ - just a myth?

by davit 13 Replies latest jw friends

• davit
    davit

Hi

Recently recommended to read a book called 'The Pagan Christ' asserting that the whole story is just a myth (beggars the imagination) and with parallel stories in most other religions preceding and borrowed by (so-called) Christianity

Can anyone throw some light on this for me please or tell me where I should go next

Many thanks

davit

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

to the bottom of the Caspian sea? ;-)

• EyeDrEvil
    EyeDrEvil
    Try reading The Jesus Mysteries and Jesus and the Lost Goddess -- both are written by Freke and Gandy. I have been reading both. Very intriguing stuff, and highly researched. See how their research meshes with the book you are reading.

EyeDrEvil

p.s. Welcome to the Board!

• EyeDrEvil
    EyeDrEvil
    Sorry about the weird formatting thingy there. I tried to fix it, but it only got worse.
  • drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Yes, there are many parallels between Jesus and older myths. Even such stunning details as "He was God/God's son" ... "Came down to earth in human form to die for man's sins" ... "Was resurrected three days later." My wife was telling me about these parallels in a book she was reading. I believe in this case it was comparing Jesus to Zoroaster/Zarathustra.

Was Jesus a real person that lived 2000 years ago? Maybe. But I think most of the stuff that he supposedly did in the bible was legend or myth.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

lol @ the spyware background. How does this site detect that, I wonder?

• Simon
    Simon

It remaps the bits that the spyware ads to the post to a local image

• Ciara
    Ciara

Welcome, davit.

Just thought I'd point out that it really isn't a good idea to believe everything you read. That's how lots of people got screwed up with the JW's. If you're curious about this subject examine all of the evidence and then decide for yourself.

Ciara

• EyeDrEvil
    EyeDrEvil

Ciara,

You just said a mouthful. READ. READ. READ. VERIFY. VERIFY. VERIFY.

I used to (well, I still do at times) get frantic at rushing through ALL that is out there to read. BUT, when my wiser self comes through, I remind myself to enjoy the journey of life and not worry about having ALL of the answers RIGHT NOW. Who knows if we ever get there.... But then, who cares. It is the ride of a lifetime. We can enjoy it, or be tortured by it...

My .02

EyeDrEvil

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Another book dealing with the Jesus myth is called The Christ Conspiracy, The Greatest Story Ever Sold by Acharya S. The web site for this book with tons of good articles and links is

http://www.truthbeknown.com/christcon.htm

Devon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit