how much did you give up?

by zen nudist 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• zen nudist
    zen nudist
    I completely lost it and could not keep the tears back and my throat choked with grattitude to these men and my country. I had missed feeling patriotic soooo much!

pasted from another thread...but got me thinking, how much did you stop doing as a JW, not because you really believed it but because you could not do it and still be a JW? how much did you give up to stay in while you were in?

I personally do not remember giving up very much as the reason I joined was because they were people who saw many things the way I did see them and still to a large extent do continue to see them... the things like birthdays and such, I could take or leave...and still do.

• Emma
    Emma

I guess you could say I gave up my youth and my freedom. I was raised in the org so pretty much had everything taken away at a young age. I was surprised at how patriotic I felt when I was finally allowed to act on my own.

Who knows what I might have done with my life if I was not handed the map of the wts.

Emma

• zen nudist
    zen nudist
    I guess you could say I gave up my youth and my freedom. I was raised in the org so pretty much had everything taken away at a young age.

to clarify, I am asking how much did you go along with voluntarily because you actually accepted and believed, and how much did you do out of fear of being cast out

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I guess as a child growing up in it, i nearly lost my sanity, does that count?

Dave

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

Growing up in it....I lost the freedom to think on my own, to discern right from wrong without getting "The Society's" thoughts on it first. I also lost my youth.

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

I guess you could say I gave up my youth and my freedom. I was raised in the org so pretty much had everything taken away at a young age.

Definately. Why? I believed it a bit, but mostly because i was scared of what would happen if I did not conform.

I lost my soul mate and the love of my life.

Why? Because at 18, i did not have the strength to leave all my witness friends and family. And because of the immense pressure my family put on me.

• dh
    dh

being born in you miss most things and it's easy to grow into a very dysfunctional adult, and your social skills and ability to integrate are often affected.

it's easy to list the things from being a kid, no kid wants to go out door knocking every week, for hours and hours, have to do the days text every morning at 7am, family study every week, not be allowed to have friends in school, meetings 3 times a week, have to prepare the watchtower and books and parents check to make sure you have, give talks from the age of 6... dad was account servent when we were very young, so getting to bed before 11pm on a thursday was an impossibility, no birthdays or xmas, even though these were the same day for me, so now in adult life i celebrate nothing because it just seems a waste of time...

for a few years we were banned from seeing my grandma because she was a catholic... she is in fact the sanest person in my family, we were never guided in any direction for work or education, ever, so i guess we missed out there too... if you were to ask me when i was happy in life, i would say 'never', meaning i can't recall a time when i just felt 'ok'... so i guess i missed a lot of things that childhood should have been, but never was.

if the question is, did i give up my childhood... it's hard to say because what i had is all i know, i have nothing to compare it to except other kids i see, and what i would perhaps like for my own kids if i had any, i don't really think i gave it up, because it was never there in the first place, i just had a different life... i haven't liked it too too much, but to be honest i probably wouldn't change it.

(edited to add... i probably wouldn't change it, because it's mine)

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

As the others raised in the truth, I lost my youth and all the things associated with it.

But to answer your question, many of the things I did or didn't do I did, not because I agree w/ it, but because that's what the Society said to do. Especially the 'minor' things like birthdays, holidays, entertainment. My inability to reconcile many of these things with the Bible, coupled with the lack of love apparent, made me realize that it was an organization of control, rather than a loving organization teaching the true 'gospel'.

See, what the WT doesn't understand is that if they were a little more relaxed on some of the truly minor issues, they could still control the masses w/ the major fear tactics like Armageddon. There would be far fewer dissatisfied people in the org, fewer would leave or be df'd, and they would make more money off of them.

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

I was SOUL-RAPED!

• franklin J
    franklin J

like Emma stated in her post, I gave up my youth and freedom. I was raised in it and knew nothing else.

I rebuilt my life at age 21; still young enough to start over.

My world is now so dramatically different; and I am content. It is a life lived by choice. I cringe to think what I would be like if I were still a JW. Not nice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit