Jehovahs Witness Double Standards

by truthbeliever 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    you notice how they say one should be like the Boreans who searched the scriptures night and day to see if these things were so...

but never give you any option as to what to do when you find these things are NOT so?

A few years ago the $ociety had this article on the Boreans that had me wincing with intellectual pain.

The main thrust of the article was to groundlessly claim that the Boreans were anxious to believe that what they were being taught was correct, and that True Christians Imitate Their Example? not by questioning what they are being taught but by eagerly accepting as true the information being disseminated by the FDS. I don't know if I'm a skilled enough wordsmith to really capture the flavor of the article, I wish I had the WT CD so I could find it, it was an embarrassing read. I think there was some phoney-baloney illustration accompanying the article of depicting a scene of 1c Christians reading some scrolls together with facial expressions of wide-eyed enthusiastic agreement.

• blondie
    blondie

That was around the apostate scare of 1981. As far as I can tell, this slant on Acts 17:11 has not been repeated since 1981.

w81 2/15 pp. 18-19 Do We Need Help to Understand the Bible?

A

NOBLE-MINDED VIEW

How shall we view the spiritual food provided by this "faithful and discreet slave"? Should it be viewed critically??Oh, well, it might be true but then again it might not be and so we have to scrutinize it very critically?? Some apparently have felt that way about it. To support their way of thinking they have quoted Acts 17:11, which says of newly interested persons at Beroea: "Now the latter were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so."

But does this mean that those Beroeans were looking for flaws in the message they were hearing, or that their attitude was one of doubting? Does this set a precedent for regarding critically the publications brought forth by the "faithful and discreet slave," with a view to finding fault? Not at all!

First of all, let us note the setting of the statement about the noble-minded Beroeans. Paul, accompanied by Silas, was on his second missionary tour. Due to persecution that arose, the brothers at Thessalonica sent them on to Beroea. In Beroea they met sincere Jews who had strong faith in God?s Word. These were not Christians yet. They were simply interested persons who had to satisfy themselves that what Paul was telling them had the support of the Hebrew Scriptures.

Up to this time, these devout Jews in Beroea may never have heard of Jesus Christ. What Paul was telling them was entirely new. So those noble-minded Jews in Beroea searched the Scriptures daily to make certain that the references that Paul gave were really part of God?s Word. And with what mental attitude did they pursue their studies? With a skeptical attitude, trying to prove Paul wrong? No, they were altogether unlike Paul?s critics on Mars Hill, for we read that they heard Paul?s testimony with "the greatest eagerness of mind."?Acts 17:11, 32.

These Beroeans listened with a readiness, yes, an eagerness, to believe. Thus not only were they open-minded, but they were wanting to have this "good news" proved true. In fact, for a person to acquire faith he must have "the will to believe." If he is determined not to believe, then no amount of evidence will convince him; for if a person looks for them he can always find excuses, plausible reasons for not accepting the accountability that belief will bring upon him. As the apostle Paul well said: "Faith is not a possession of all people." (2 Thess. 3:2) But the Beroeans had the will to believe. They considered what they heard with a receptive frame of mind. As a result, "many of them became believers, and so did not a few of the reputable Greek women and of the men."?Acts 17:12.

Jesus? disciples wrote many letters to Christian congregations, to persons who were already in "the way of the truth." (2 Pet. 2:2) But nowhere do we read that those brothers first, in a skeptical frame of mind, checked the Scriptures to make certain that those letters had Scriptural backing, that the writers really knew what they were talking about.

OUR

VIEW OF THE "SLAVE"

We can benefit from this consideration. If we have once established what instrument God is using as his "slave" to dispense spiritual food to his people, surely Jehovah is not pleased if we receive that food as though it might contain something harmful. We should have confidence in the channel God is using. At the Brooklyn headquarters from which the Bible publications of Jehovah?s Witnesses emanate there are more mature Christian elders, both of the "remnant" and of the "other sheep," than anywhere else upon earth.

True, the brothers preparing these publications are not infallible. Their writings are not inspired as are those of Paul and the other Bible writers. (2 Tim. 3:16) And so, at times, it has been necessary, as understanding became clearer, to correct views. (Prov. 4:18) However, this has resulted in a continual refining of the body of Bible-based truth to which Jehovah?s Witnesses subscribe. Over the years, as adjustments have been made to that body of truth, it has become ever more wonderful and applicable to our lives in these "last days." Bible commentators of Christendom are not inspired either. Despite their claims to great knowledge, they have failed to highlight even basic Bible truths?such as the coming Paradise earth, the importance of God?s name, and the condition of the dead.

Rather, the record that the "faithful and discreet slave" organization has made for the past more than 100 years forces us to the conclusion that Peter expressed when Jesus asked if his apostles also wanted to leave him, namely, "Whom shall we go away to?" (John 6:66-69) No question about it. We all need help to understand the Bible, and we cannot find the Scriptural guidance we need outside the "faithful and discreet slave" organization.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Thanks Blondie.

I could swear I remember something similar to that article being published more recently, as I wasn't a JW in 1981.

• Scully
    Scully

How about this one, Dan:

w89 1/15 pp. 5-7 Are You Open to New Ideas? ***

Are

You Open to New Ideas?

SOME people close their mind to any new idea. They may reject it because it differs from their viewpoint. For instance, a certain woman in Denmark wrote to the weekly journal Hjemmet and said: "We are constantly haunted by Jehovah?s Witnesses at our door. They irritate me terribly, but I can?t figure out how I can get them to leave. . . . Couldn?t their pestering be forbidden by law?"

To the Japanese of the mid-19th century, the knock at their door by the West was also viewed as "pestering." In the eyes of many of them, everything having to do with the intruders was worthless or even harmful. As an Oriental proverb says, "Suspicion creates monsters in the dark." The frame of mind of many Japanese was well illustrated in their drawings depicting Commodore Perry. Out of some 50 that remain, only 2 or 3 represent him as an ordinary U.S. naval officer. The others depict him as a long-nosed goblin or a pale-faced monster, as illustrated here.

With the opening of their country, however, open-minded Japanese came to realize that the foreigners were not barbarians. In the case of some on the first Japanese mission to the United States, it was as though scales fell from their eyes as they saw Western culture firsthand. Higher officials kept complaining about how impolite the Americans were from a Japanese point of view. But the younger generation made a more balanced judgment of the new culture.

One 19-year-old attendant of a high official later wrote: "Most of the 70 Japanese delegates on this mission resented or hated [the Americans]. However, on witnessing the real conditions, individuals among us realized they had been mistaken and regretted harboring such feelings. Considering foreigners as being as base as dogs or horses and insulting them will only win from them the notoriety of our being unmerciful and unrighteous." Are you open-minded enough to look at new thoughts with as unprejudiced an attitude as that of this young attendant?

The

Example of the Beroeans

In the first century C.E., many Jews harbored an unreasoning prejudice against Christian teachings. In some ways, it resembled the prejudice of seclusionist Japanese against the outside world. "Everywhere [Christianity] is spoken against," claimed the Jews in ancient Rome. (Acts 28:22) Concerning certain Christians in the city of Thessalonica, biased Jews cried out: "These men that have overturned the inhabited earth are present here also."?Acts 17:6.

Nevertheless, there were people willing to look beyond their prejudices. For example, how did residents of Beroea respond to the good news preached by the apostle Paul and his associate Silas? Regarding the Beroeans, the Bible writer Luke said: "The latter were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so." (Acts 17:11) Are you "noble-minded" like the Beroeans?

Please consider the case of Masaji. At one time, he bore a strong animosity toward Christianity. He was like the exclusionists who opposed the opening of Japan. When his wife, Sachiko, started to study the Bible, he violently opposed her. He even thought of killing his family and then committing suicide. Because of his violence, his family had to flee to the home of Sachiko?s older brother in northern Japan.

Finally, Masaji decided to open his mind a little and investigate his wife?s religion. After reading some Bible literature, he saw the need to make changes. As he studied the Scriptures, his violent attitude changed into one that reflected the fruitage of God?s spirit. (Galatians 5:22, 23) Masaji hesitated to attend meetings of Jehovah?s Witnesses because he feared that the Witnesses might seek revenge for his violence against them. But when he finally visited a Kingdom Hall, he was welcomed with such warmth that he burst into tears.

Yes, overcoming prejudice and examining new ideas can widen our horizon and may benefit us in other ways. However, does that mean that we have to be open to every new idea that comes along?

Be

Selective!

With the end of Japan?s seclusion, new ideas poured into the country. Some of these benefited the Japanese, but they would have been better off without others. "Against the intentions of Commodore Perry," said U.S. general Douglas MacArthur upon accepting Japan?s surrender after World War II, "Japan turned the knowledge of the West into an instrument of oppression and slavery." Imitating its Western mentors, Japan embarked on a course that led her into a series of wars. These culminated in World War II, at the end of which two atom bombs were dropped on Japanese territory.

What can we learn from this? That we should be selective about accepting new ideas. We would do well to imitate the Beroeans by "carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things [taught by Paul] were so." (Acts 17:11) The Greek word here rendered "examining" means to "make careful and exact research as in legal processes." (Word Pictures in the New Testament, by A. T. Robertson) Rather than blindly accepting every new idea presented to us, we need to do careful and exact research, just as a judge would in hearing a legal case.

If we are selective, we will not be swayed by every passing fad or by new ideas that are really harmful. For instance, what was called the new morality of the 1960?s seemed to be an appealing new idea to some. But careful scrutiny would have revealed it to be harmful old immorality under a new name. Also, in economically troubled Germany of the 1920?s, doubtless many viewed Nazism as an exciting new idea, but what agony it caused!

Happily, God has provided a touchstone that can be used to test new ideas. It is his inspired Word, the Bible. Applying its guidelines to family life and human relationships will help us to check many of the new ideas heard today from sociologists, psychologists, and others who claim expertise in these fields. (Ephesians 5:21?6:4; Colossians 3:5-14) The Bible?s counsel regarding our relationship with God and neighbor gives us a means of checking many of the novel ideas now being spread on the subject of religion. (Mark 12:28-31) Accurate Bible knowledge will equip us to determine whether a new idea is of real value or not. We will then be able to ?make sure of all things and hold fast to what is fine.??1 Thessalonians 5:21.

Jehovah?s Witnesses visit their neighbors to encourage them to learn about the Bible and thus be able to judge new ideas properly. The Witnesses also point out Bible thoughts that are new to many. Among these is the truth about the times we are living in and what the future really holds for mankind. (Matthew 24:3-44; 2 Timothy 3:1-5; Revelation 21:3, 4) So do not adopt a seclusionist attitude when the Witnesses call at your home. Rather, why not open your door and listen to what they have to say? Do not close your mind to ideas that can be of eternal benefit to you.

[Picture

Credit Line on page 5]

Library of Congress photo LC-USC62-7258

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I don't think that's the one either Scully. I didn't become a JW until 1992.

We would do well to imitate the Beroeans by "carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things [taught by Paul] were so." (Acts 17:11) The Greek word here rendered "examining" means to "make careful and exact research as in legal processes." (Word Pictures in the New Testament, by A. T. Robertson)

Oh, so what happens if I'm a JW, and after a careful examination of the scriptures I determine that the institutionalized shunning practiced by JW's is built on very shaky scriptural ground. Let's say that I approach the elders with my concerns, and find that they are not able to come up with very good arguments in favor of the practice. So I start associating with DF'd persons, as I cannot justify shunning them based on my own careful examination of the scriptures Hmmm what would happen if I were a JW and I did that hmmm....LOL

I wonder what the Greek words are for total bullshit.

• Scully
    Scully
    I wonder what the Greek words are for total bullshit.

Jehovahs witnesses

or how about

Faithful and discreet slave class

or

Governing body

Love, Scully

• blondie
    blondie

w02 9/15 p. 18 Keep Practicing the Things You Have Learned ***

Rather than being critical, let us maintain a spiritually healthy view of the information received through personal study and congregation meetings. (1 Corinthians 2:14, 15) And instead of questioning God?s Word, how much wiser it is to have the attitude of the first-century Beroeans who examined the Scriptures closely! (Acts 17:10, 11) Then, let us act on what we learn, turning down false stories and clinging to the truth.

As to any doubts, they would refer to John 6:66-68.

Blondie

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

LOL @ Scully!

Blondie, that article may be the one I was remembering.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

... ... (there are lots of things I didn't even think about !!!) Thanks (need to quote this topic on my list)

• Balsam
    Balsam

Blondie,

Boy the WT study article you quoted of 1981 saying:

OUR VIEW OF THE "SLAVE"

We can benefit from this consideration. If we have once established what instrument God is using as his "slave" to dispense spiritual food to his people, surely Jehovah is not pleased if we receive that food as though it might contain something harmful. We should have confidence in the channel God is using. At the Brooklyn headquarters from which the Bible publications of Jehovah?s Witnesses emanate there are more mature Christian elders, both of the "remnant" and of the "other sheep," than anywhere else upon earth.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What makes me just sick to my stomach is buying into this self glorification of the socalled slave class. WE were the slaves, they were the power hungry lies standing on our necks. How revolting the Governing Body is. Such baloney.

Ruth

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit