Greetings from a new member!

by marked 44 Replies latest jw experiences

• marked
    marked

(edit: I probably should have posted this in the "Friends" section. If there any mods out there who could do this, it would be much appreciated.)

Hello, everyone.

I've been lurking here for a little while now, and decided to make my presence known.

A little background: I left the org officially about nine months ago, after a couple years of nagging doubts. To be honest, it was the most traumatizing thing I've ever been through, the way it affected me on so many levels and in so many ways at the same time. It wasn't enough that everything I'd put my faith in turned out to be an outright lie. It wasn't enough to learn that I'd wasted so much time serving an organization of men who were frequently wrong about, well, pretty much everything. It wasn't enough to realize that even though I was fundamentally the same guy, all my old friends and family wouldn't be allowed to speak to me anymore. What upset me the most was that I truly felt my growth as a person had been hindered for years by this joke of a religion with all it's arbitrary rules, regulations, and expectations. There are experiences I could have had, things I could have learned, and places I could have gone if it wasn't for that damned Orwellian microcosm. I try not to have any regrets about the whole thing, but I really wish I could have at least some of that time back.

The freedom I now feel was worth all the intense feelings of betrayal and loss, however. I see more beauty around me than I used to, as though the constant focus on the bad drilled into me all those years had hampered my ability to appreciate the good. There are days where I feel blissfully happy (and I never used to describe much of my experience as "blissful"). I'm finally able to go forward with many dreams I put aside because I was told they weren't in line with "god's" purpose for me. Plus, I've found more genuine love in nine months outside the org than in the years I spent on the inside. More than all of this, however, is that now I can be myself... the real me. And it's been a thrill getting to know that person. To quote something I put down in my journal when I was writing myself through the healing process, its been "like catching up with an old friend I've never met."

And to quote another: "I've become what I used to hate, but I love what I've become."

marked

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Welcome !

• franklin J
    franklin J

welcome to the forum,

Frank

• bebu
    bebu

Welcome!! Nice to see more lurkers join up and post.

Your avatar makes me think of the "Artist Formerly Known as Prince"... Before he reappeared as Prince. (He is an avid JW now, as I'm sure you are aware!)

Glad to read that you are appreciating so much more of life now. What a relief that must be!

bebu

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Your feelings mirror my own in regards leaving the org. And, I'm marked too. Welcome to the forum, may you not waste nearly as much time here as I do.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Howdy & WELCOME !! I enjoyed your post..... looking forward to more.

• Bryan
    Bryan

Welcome Marked,

You're in good company!

Hope you're healing well,

Bryan

• Huxley
    Huxley

Welcome!

Huxley

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Welcome marked.......................I was a lurker for quite awhile myself until I finally joined this group one month ago.

Since then............I have had a lot of thought provoking conversation with the people on this board and have wished I joined it long long ago. It is a healing process that goes as fast or as slow as you want it to go! You will meet real friends here.........friends that know what you are and have been through!

Belive it or not............this board has changed my life in a profound way. I can actually talk and share my feelings........be they bad or good.......intense or shallow............NO ONE judges you here!

I also have found love on this board...........YES............I met a wonderful lady here...............and I am hoping and praying that it turns out to be true. I never thought it would happen to me again............but it did.............it is real!

If it all goes well..............I will (with the blessing and ok of this wonderful girl) tell of our meeting and falling in love so that others here will have the happiness and hope that I have always wanted.

One happy guy here...................

HappyDad (Bill)

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Welcome to the forum, marked.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit