A Special Thank-You...

by SwampThing 2 Replies latest jw friends

• SwampThing
    SwampThing

Dear Forum Members,

I?ve read and re-read the responses you all gave to me regarding my JW friend, or past friend as it were. I?ve followed the links provided by some and have truly gained more knowledge about the way the JW?s treat their followers. Your responses have led me to even more research on my own which has helped me see a much larger picture than what I had previously understood.

I want to offer a special thanks to many of you who opened your hearts to me, a perfect stranger, and shared your fears, your hurt, your depression, and the misery you have been living through due to your association with the JW?s. I have known several woman in my life who have remained with abusive partners, even though they hate the situation they live in. I have never been able to understand why they did not just leave, and maybe I never will. Reading some of the responses to my original post, I can clearly see the same coping mechanism at play with regard to why some of you did not just walk away from the JW church.

Thank you all for sharing your personal stories with me. I won?t pretend to understand what it must be like to be faced with losing everything you?ve ever known, your friends, your family, if you chose to walk away from the JW?s. However, I do at least see your point of view. I wish you all the best in your recoveries, and I will continue to stick around and read your forum. The members here seem to be a really great bunch of people, and I can see that I will continue to learn if I just sit back and keep reading.

Kind regards,

Swamp Thing

P.S. Please help me with the following: Trooth (tm)

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956
    P.S. Please help me with the following: Trooth (tm)

Its actually "the truth," its what JWs call their religion. Here we call it the troof, the trooth, etc, to refer to that mindset that is still hard to shake. I have been out for 13 years and really thought I had gotten over all of that. But when a bunch of us got together a few months ago, that expression came out of my mouth after all these years. Really shows you how insidious that brainwashing really is. Seems like you still find little expressions or ways of looking at things that are from the religion no matter how long you're out. I just stop and analyze why I'm doing it and if I can see that the only reason I'm reacting that way is because it was from being a JW, I'll then look into the issue further to see what it is I'm really afraid of. In most cases its ignorance. As soon as I learn more I'm not afraid anymore and I can make an informed decision.

We really don't need phrases like "the trooth" anymore, because we have each found our own path and none look the same.

I'm glad we were able to help (although I can't remember if I personally posted to your first thread). There are a lot of great people in here.

Gretchen

• jgnat
    jgnat

Troof TM is an inside joke, as you must have already figured. First of all XJW's misspell Watchtower trigger words to reduce their power. Many XJW's stayed in the organization way past their due, because, it was "The Truth". While in, they fought natural affection and shunned children, family, and friends, because it was "The Truth". Now, on the outside, former friends ask them why the left "The Truth", and assume they will come back to it one day. This is after the XJW has discovered the truth about the Troof TM . Similarly, Jehovah has become Jehoober TM , to distinguish the JW god from the real thing.

Trademarking? I think Farkel started it, and Scully keeps it going. The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society copyrighted their translation bible. Since then, Farkel and Scully trademark all these favored trigger words.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit