Those true life stories in the mags

by trumangirl 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

When we were asked to compose stories for a year book, we knew full well the others were exaggerating about the stories. They even went so far as to claim the local brothers and sisters braved "tigers" when going to the meetings. We were in S. America, tigers were little Ocelotts and Margays.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

"...local brothers and sisters braved "tigers" when going to the meetings..."

Lions and tigers and bears, Oh MY!

Lions and tigers and bears, Oh MY!

Toto! I don't think we're in Kansas anymore... we're in South America!

Sorry... just couldn't resist that comment.

Regards,

Jim TX

• RR
    RR

Ever notice all those storioes sounded the same? specially the old timers? How many old timers you know when talking about the past say "...Bible Students, as Jehovah's Witnesses were formally known...."

Year ago, I was interviewed for an Awake article on my life by a bethelite ... he saw picdtures of me when I was in the street gangs and the Marine Corp. Nothing ever came of it!

RR

• trumangirl
    trumangirl

That's a shame RR, I would have liked to read it. Do you know you look the image of a former PO in the local cong here? except he doesn't have a goatee.

It would be good if some funny clever person on the forum made up a bogus life story! I'm sure some of you are up to the challenge.

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

My personal favorites were always the assembly parts featuring the 'exemplary' youths who pioneered and were Bethel-bound, etc. Those were usually the ones I was out partying with after the assembly that day. In fact, my best friend (the one who was pioneering and having sex w/ one of the other pioneers while in service) who had already been accepted to Bethel gave a #4 talk at the circuit assembly in Houston and we got really trashed that night and almost got arrested for throwing stuff out of our hotel window...lol. What a great witness!

• dothemath
    dothemath

Some years ago there was an article about several young people...........and how well they were doing, etc. along with the goals they had. It included their pictures also..........I know one of sthe sisters, who was pioneering is now long gone.

• JT
    JT

many comments have been made about WHAT WAS LEFT OUT and that is so important

2 examples- in a discussion oneday when i was at bethel - a buddy of mine had just been moved to the writing dept as a pretty new bethel elder- he was never really a Society man, just a good BS-ter- anyway he told about how that is done, for example the article will tell of a bro trying to smuggle literature into a banned country and how the guard failed to ck his briefcase and he got in- well they will leave the article hanging to IMPLY that angelic forces helped him to get in, but WHAT THEY DON'T TELL YOU IS 5 or 6 other brothers tried the same thing and got shot as it were

but by not telling us that the majority of the guys didn't make it, it paints this image in ones mind of angel protecting the mags in his bag-

another example and my favorite is the sister who had to swim thru alligator infested waters or walk with her clothes and mags on her head thru 6ft of water- smile

and as a result make you and i feel guilt since we had a car and didnt go to the meeting , here is a sister who must cross a river to get to her meetings- the part they leave out is EVERYONE IN TOWN DOES THE EXACT SAME THING TO GET TO THE OTHER SIDE

so in other wors what she did was not unusal or different from anyone else in the village, everyone does it, but it creates this image in your mind of this LONE SISTER FACING ALL THESE DANGERS BY HERSELF

, WHILE true it ain't the best form of transportation esp by our standard, over there she has been doing this since she was knee high to a broom stick-

and he gave afew other examples of how they leave stuff out-

just one last one, the Urban Leagends- say the story we hear elders and co give IN TAlks- BUT NOT IN PRINT about - let's say the one where the avon lady is killed by this guy and a sister knocks on the door , he was going to kill her but he said that he saw 2 BIG BURLY GUYS standing with her at the door-

of course we know that typically jw sisters don't do door todoor alone, but it don't matter to the speaker or the audience listening , it just A GOOD EXP And we want to hear it

SO I ASk HIM why they never put in print EXP LIKE THAT, since they can't CONFIRM THIS ACCOUnt IT IS NOT PUT IN THE PUBLICATIONS but they will KNOWINGLY LET ELDERS AND CO repeat this trash from the platform

you got to love it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit