need scripture...

by candidlynuts 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

a few years ago i started reading the bible from beginning to end. i was shocked to read about God striking down 70,000 people with plague when he was mad at king david. now i cant find where it was in the bible.(wanting to reread to read about anger) does anyone know where that is? (the very last circuit assembly i attended in ky i recall the talk on king david and how bathshebas husband would HAVE to forgive him in the new system or be put to death and it was one of the more rediculous talks i ever heard wondering why that was something we had to worry about , why not give us talks on how to cope with realities of life instead of problems that we can comfortably leave to god to figure out)

anyway. king davids story always fascinated and frankly sickened me, if your gods chosen one you can pretty much do anything you want to, including murder. and king david is who my ex would throw in my face after his infidelity saying King david did it and God forgave HIM.blah blah blah...

• shotgun
    shotgun

1 Chronicles 21

11 So Gad went to David and said to him, "This is what the LORD says: 'Take your choice: 12 three years of famine, three months of being swept away [1] before your enemies, with their swords overtaking you, or three days of the sword of the LORD -days of plague in the land, with the angel of the LORD ravaging every part of Israel.' Now then, decide how I should answer the one who sent me."
    13 David said to Gad, "I am in deep distress. Let me fall into the hands of the LORD , for his mercy is very great; but do not let me fall into the hands of men."
    14 So the LORD sent a plague on Israel, and seventy thousand men of Israel fell dead. 15 And God sent an angel to destroy Jerusalem. But as the angel was doing so, the LORD saw it and was grieved because of the calamity and said to the angel who was destroying the people, "Enough! Withdraw your hand." The angel of the LORD was then standing at the threshing floor of Araunah [2] the Jebusite.
    16 David looked up and saw the angel of the LORD standing between heaven and earth, with a drawn sword in his hand extended over Jerusalem. Then David and the elders, clothed in sackcloth, fell facedown.
    17 David said to God, "Was it not I who ordered the fighting men to be counted? I am the one who has sinned and done wrong. These are but sheep. What have they done? O LORD my God, let your hand fall upon me and my family, but do not let this plague remain on your people."

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

You may find the following website helpful.......

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/long.html

The striking down of the 70,000 seems to be only an appetizer to such a "Loving" God.....Let's hope he's not ready for "Dinner" anytime soon!

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

As near as I can find the story you are looking for starts somewhere in 2 Sam. 11th chapter, maybe in the 10th chapter too.

Happy reading....ugg!

Kate

• Joe Bloggs
    Joe Bloggs

2 Samuel 24:15

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

so God got angry with him for counting his fighting men?

hmmmm wonder how God likes the WTS counting its "soldiers" and their "time"?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

EXACTLY - God is against counting soldiers - and was he against Hezekiah for showing his wealth - so why do the WTBTS do it - Ok they do not show off their wealth - but they are alwys droning on about hwo nice their buildings are because only the best is for Jehovah. So why is the WTBS obsessed about figures when the Old Tetsament shows God is against it?

• VM44
    VM44

"so God got angry with him for counting his fighting men?" Weren't the fighting men paid by King David's government? or fed? or outfitted? The paymasters, quatermasters, or armourers would have to have a pretty good idea of the numbers of men involved. Or didn't they worry about paying, feeding or outfitting the fighting men? --VM44

• Carmel
    Carmel

To this day people credit god for all kinds of stuff He has noting to do with. People are sure their good fortune is because God is taking car of them. Who knows why God is given credit for the bs in the old testament. Probably because the survivors usually write history and usually think they are being blessed by JAR HOOVER.

caveman

• Valis
    Valis

Jeremiah 25:27-28 is the only scripture you ever need to read...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit