Would you marry not for love but for a visa?

by Atilla 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Atilla
    Atilla

A friend of mine was approached by a Asian family living here in the U.S. that wants to get a family member, a 18 year girl living in the South East Asia region here to America. They want my friend to get married to this girl for a year or two so she can eventually become an American citizen. The family living here has offered to pay for all expenses; my friends air ticket over there and back along with any other expenses incurred plus a lump sum payment upon her successful immigration here to the U.S. My friend is maybe considering it but he hasn't even seen a picture of the girl yet and he is somewhat older(about 9 year difference) than the girl.

Now if they fall in love or consemate the relationship, that's totally up in the air and I guess open to bargaining and my friend would totally be free to get a divorce once the girl gets to the U.S. I did ask some of my friends what they thought, and everyone pretty much said no. I on the other hand would be open to the idea but I'm already married. So, what do you think, good idea, bad?

• Sassy
    Sassy

DON'T DO IT!

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Haven't you seen Green Card? It's a federal offense to do this, and if the government catches you, you can get several years in the federal pokey!

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

It's fraudulent and illegal. I have had a woman from Tanzania and a woman from from the Phillipines (what the hell is it with the Phillipines) try to pass this offer to me. Just remember that these women and their pimps (I mean family), are not dumb. They know very well what their legal rights are as spouses and they will clean you out by the time its over, then continue to put the screws to you afterword, especially if you spawn a child with them. You can enjoy paying allimony forever and watching her split the dividends with the betel-stained smiles of her family, insulting you in Tagalog behind your back.Before the year or two is up, you might get some nookie on the side, but it would be cheaper just to fly to Manilla once in awhile and get it wholesale, if you are leaning in that direction.

We've had over 32 million immigrants come to the United States in the last decade, a number unmatched in our history. We don't need more inventive ways to keep them from coming over, we need to keep them out. On the bright side, the rumour-mill in the Phillipines is filled with stories of Angry American Husbands killing or otherwise commiting all sorts of unspeakable acts on their foreign wives, so at least they will be a bit fearful. But, the poverty is so bad it will continue to push people to degrade themselves like this.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Not sure something good can come out of that ... all the story is based on money

• Sassy
    Sassy

my second husband married me for a green card.. he is a liar and fraud.. I didn't know about it until after we were married.. I wrote the INS to send his black ass back to Africa... waiting for the day to celebrate that they do it!

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- Two women were indicted Tuesday on charges they arranged fraudulent marriages for profit between U.S. citizens and people from Africa and the Middle East seeking green cards, officials said Tuesday.

An investigation began when an employee in the Milam County clerk's office northwest of Houston became suspicious after noticing some people got married multiple times in one year, said U.S. Attorney Michael Shelby at a news conference.

Prosecutors said the foreign nationals paid up to $5,000 for the arranged marriages.

"The green card is the thing," Shelby said. "That is the holy grail that is sought by people who want to immigrate to the United States because that is the card that allows them what they really are after, which is employment in this country."

Aminata Smith, 43, and Emma Guyton, 46, were each charged with four counts of inducing illegal immigration, four counts of marriage fraud and one count of conspiracy. The felony charges could bring up to 70 years in prison and more than $2 million in fines for each woman.

Thirty-six U.S. citizens who were paid between $150 and $500 for their participation in the scheme were charged with one count each of marriage fraud, which carries a maximum five-year prison sentence and $250,000 fine, Shelby said.

Guyton and Smith and 14 the U.S. citizens in custody made their first court appearances later Tuesday before U.S. Magistrate Judge Frances Stacy. Guyton, Smith and nine others were released on bond. Guyton and Smith could not be reached for comment, and it was unclear if they had attorneys yet.

Officials said about 60 U.S. citizens took part in the scheme.

An undetermined number of the foreign nationals were in custody and the others were being sought. All face likely deportation once the criminal proceedings have taken place.

According to Shelby, the women made deals with the potential immigrants before they arrived in Texas, charging them between $1,500 and $5,000 to have the marriages arranged.

Typically, they entered the country legally with documents such as student visas, then participated in sham marriages that let them apply for green cards, which allow immigrants permanent legal residency.

The 210 marriages took place between April 2000 and July 2003, Shelby said.

The foreign nationals came from Algeria, Cameroon, Gabon, Guinea, Israel, Jordan, Kenya, Mali, Nigeria, Pakistan, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Tanzania and Uganda, prosecutors said.

• Atilla
    Atilla

Yeah, I think you are all right, bad idea. To marry someone else from a different country is complicated, especially when money and immigration is involved. Now, if you are from the U.S. and married someone from a country like France, that might work out better.

• Sassy
    Sassy

and it isn't just one meeting.. but many.. and they can't work for like 6 months so you have to provide proof that you can sponser and PAY for them to live in this country..

AND you sign something saying that even if you get divorced, the government will NEVER be responsble for them finanically.. YOU WILL.. EVEN IF you get DIVORCED

• Valis
    Valis

*LOL* Actually I have a good friend of mine who is from Ethiopia. He has begged me several times to marry one of his cousins who is still in Ethiopia. Pretty pretty girls they are too...eheheh...ahem...anyway he laid it out like this..

free flight to Ethiopia

get treated like a king

I get a lump sum, if I remember correctly of about $5k upon return

stay married for the minimum time till she gets her citizenship

get another lump sum when it is all over..

I always politely declined, but it would be one hell of an adventure anyway..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit