Is this a good idea?

by Atilla 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Atilla
    Atilla

Ok, so many of us thought we would one day soon be on easy steet. The new system would be here, no more problems, health or financial. We would all have our own house and life would be bliss. So, we were off and the reality is that life will always pretty much suck. Somewhat disillusioned with the future, I still however look for ways I can enjoy my life to the fullest and not have to work for the rest of my life.

I'm currently going to college but the process is so slow. I love the learning aspect of school but I still have another 3 years before I have a regular job and I will still be working lots of hours. Thus, I wish there was a way I could retire now, at age 24. I don't really want to do very much, kinda of like the guy in Office Space, you know just relax, watch T.V., hang out. I then began to think that if I worked really hard for the next 2 years, sold my house, and liquidated everything I had, I could then move abroad. I would move to a poorer country like Peru or Vietnam, buy a house and live off the interest that my savings would accrue. I figure that in a country like Peru, I would only need like $5000 a year or less to live comfortably. Is this a crazy idea or am I just completely disillusioned?

• logansrun
    logansrun
    Is this a crazy idea or am I just completely disillusioned?

Yes and yes.

B.

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

No your not crazy, I think its a great idea. When I feel overwhelmed at work or at home, I've often thought life might be better, selling everything, finding a nice piece of land and just living off of it. In fact, my dream distination would be Cancun, living in a hut, with the ocean breezes blowing through.

• Atilla
    Atilla

logan

Thank you for the encouragement.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Hey, why not try Bangledesh! I hear rent is cheap!

• Valis
    Valis

eh Atilla...just build yourself one of these! One thing about living in a foriegn country, especially ones south of the border is the property laws are wacked...For instance in Mexico only citizens can outright own property...This makes it hard for someone like you or I to stake a claim as it were. Otherwise, if you are serious, do your research and plan very farefully. I say go for it!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• franklin J
    franklin J

atilla,

this is not a crazy idea at all. I have done it ; and although it is harder to do with kids; am going to do it again.

Suggestion:

I do not know if you have kids or not....rent your house for one year ( so that you have it upon your return) ; take a year off from school ( you MUST finish) and take your accumulated savings and budget it for one year abroad. You will find that after a few months you will be LONGING to come back to the states.....the grass is greener, etc.

Frank

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

IF YOU WISH TO RETIRE OUT OF COUNTRY, TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT ASENCION PARAGUAY sp?

THE LAST I HEARD, IT IS A STABLE COUNTRY AND THE CITY EVEN HAS OPERA AND LIVE PERFORMANCE ON STAGE.

THE LAST I HEARD ON COST OF LIVING WAS $500.00 A MONTH WOULD GET YOU A REALLY GOOD APARTMENT AND MAID SERVICE AND LIVE AS A MIDDLE CLASS PERSON IN THE US.

THIS WAS ABOUT 8 YRS AGO. SO DOUBLE CHECK IT OUT BEFORE YOU MOVE.

Outoftheorg

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

An idea is just an idea, and out of ideas lots of great things are born and new vistas embarked upon (and a lot of mistakes, too, but we can learn from them).

Practically, though, it may be kind of hard to pull of, what with emmigration regulations, political climates, cultural diffences, disease outbreaks and such.But not impossible if you're determined.

Have you thought about saving up for a few years, selling your house and stuff and looking into caretaking positions? There are lots of people here in the US and abroad who own property who need caretakers. My grandparents were caretakers for a few years for a very rich couple. They got to live in a mansion on Lake Michigan, and got paid to do it. They even got permission to have a family Christmas party there one year, so all of us were able to enjoy the holidays in that incredible house (it was so big, I got lost trying to find the bathroom, lol).

http://www.escapeartist.com/efam6/Property_Caretaking.html

Just a thought, lol.

• Atilla
    Atilla

Frank

good idea about going for a year but that's is really hard since my school, job, and everything is tied together. I could rent my house out for year, but everything else would be extemely hard to get back together. I do need to do some more research, find a place where I could own property, etc. Plus, I am married with a small child and I could only imagine trying to move my entire family to another country. Well, I won't give up yet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit