speaking of blood, i just talked to my mom and she said...

by dh 10 Replies latest jw friends

• dh
    dh

i talked to my mom on the phone the other day she is a jw, she knows full well what i think of the jw garbage, and i have tried to make her see it, but it's not use, so i don't go on about it much, aside from the occasional comment to see what the reaction will, in good humour of course... anyway, the other day i was struggling to think of topics we could talk about (typical son/mother relationship) so in my usual amused way i asked what she thought about the NEW view the society had on blood parts... i was expecting something but i didn't know what...

anyway, my mom calmly as if nothing was amiss, told me that it hasn't changed really, and that 'it doesn't matter anyway, because blood was always a conscience matter' now i love my mom, but this blew me away, i know of, and she knows people who have died because of blood, and she would still probably do it, but more to the point, haven't people been df'd for having blood transfusions? good grief, if blood is a conscience matter and always was, why the hell so many people die and whose conscience lets their kid die?

pffffffffff

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

DH, your mother's an idiot. Same as my Mum....

Pope

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

DH,

That is exactly what my mom said when I asked her about the changes in the Watchtower in June 2000. I reminded her that the elder's secret manual lists accepting a blood transfusion as a DF'ing offense. So much for a conscience matter.

3rd

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS has been "refining" their doctrine so that more and more procedures are "conscience" matters.

But as the following illustration shows eating eggs, flour, sugar, and milk separately is the same as eating the whole cake; so taking in blood fractions is no different than taking in blood.

It also doesn't address the issue that the blood used to make these components was not poured out.

So many JWs haven't a clue what is behind the blood doctrine.

Blondie

• dh
    dh

where can i buy a copy of this elders manual??? i would love to pull that out in front of both my mom and dad after they tell me it's always been a conscience matter!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

You can find copies online... but getting your hands on an actual book is very hard to do. I've been monitoring Ebay for quite some time waiting for one to appear.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

You are so right! They will "say" it is a "matter of conscience", but if someone is having surgery, the elders make it their business from day one. A good JW will never turn away a "concerned elder" at their side during such terrible times as surgery. If the patient takes blood/or is given blood by another family member's directive, there is a full blown internal investigation, which usually results in df'g. And, they always seem to know. They get into the hospital. They speak with the doctors. They make it their business.

My mother knew it was a df'g matter and that is why she was so firm to her end. When she went into cardiac arrest, the doctor told us that "normally" the patient is immediately given whole blood. He said his heart was broken because he realized he would lose his patient, a firm and steadfast JW. He indicated to us that if she'd had whole blood, she might well have survived. There were two brothers that came to the hospital and spoke with the doctor along with my mother the morning of the surgery. They went over the entire blood issue thing with the doctor at my mother's request, so there would be no questions.

But we can't go back. We can't change other people, even those we love. This is where letting go is the most difficult. And when we lose someone who held fast to their belief structure as a JW, we have to learn that this is indeed their choice. And we should respect that it is their choice, no matter how we might feel.

The society has always been very good at sending mixed messages to their followers. Their written words and verbal words remind me of visiting an attorney's office for direction and then reading the state legal codes. This is the way attorneys keep things under control and for the most part make their client feel as if there is just no way they could properly interpret legal code or figure it out for themselves.

/<

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

Hmm, I asked my mom about this and was told "what do you think!" about the u-turn, meaning No, there hadn't been one. Seems there's a lot of confusion in the borg on this.... Also, if it was purely a matter of conscience... why the big fuss about everyone having the "No Blood" medical cards ????

Bull!

• undercover
    undercover

Everything that involves making a decision is a conscience matter. It's the WTS trying to control your conscience that is at issue. If they can't convince you it's the right thing to do, they'll use fear to keep you in line.

I thought using blood was now a DAing offense instead of a DFing one? I'm not sure. Not that there's a difference except in the courtroom when the WTS lawyers are trying to keep the borg from being sued.

• La-Bellamargarita
    La-Bellamargarita

The blood issue is just one of many that make me feel sad and angry not just with the borg but with those individuals who willingly go along with its ridiculous ideas. These people have minds of their own and can surely see the hypocracy - they never fail to miss it with regard to other religions - but choose of their own free will not to use their own common sense. That in its self is bad enough, but then they go door to door searching for new victims to join them in their self imposed life of brainwashed subservience to a corporate publishing company.

Sorry if this sounds rather bitter, but I just find it so hard being treated like some kind of evil apostate marked for death at Armageddon by people who just have to know better. Everytime the borg changes its mind about something they just pretend it doesn't matter - what kind of people are they - what's more to the point I suppose is why on earth did I take so long to get out myself? However, I have to say in my own mitigation I never accepted channges without question and even asked questions that embarrassed them at WT studies. So they were as glad to see the back of me as I was to go in the end. I guess in many ways they won as I wasted so many precious years of my life!

Sorry about this just having a bad day, La-bella

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit