Why are some people attracted to Disaster???

by ohiocowboy 10 Replies latest jw friends

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Hearing once again about the tragic incident regarding the poor Korean fellow, got me to thinking, and has me wondering Why some people seem to be attracted to this type of news.

In just a little while, my Sig. Other will be home, and the first thing he will do, as he has done in the other instances, is to search for the video playback of the execution. It is not good enough hearing about it, he actually has to see, and live the experience. So now, I am planning on doing a little project in another part of the house, so I do not have to be any part of it, or even have a chance of hearing it or seeing it.

Think about it, how many car accidents have you seen, where there are hoards of onlookers trying to catch all of the gory details?

Granted, it is good and wise to keep up on current events. But to flood the internet, radio and television graphically displaying blood and guts, Stations competing with one another on who can provide the goriest, most heartwrenching details, makes me wonder. We are not talking about fake blood and stunt doubles here.......Real life Real people.

I try to picture how I would feel if I were the one that had been killed, and I think that I would not want masses of people gawking at my detached head, while I scream and flail. I Think it would take away some of my Dignity from my death.

Whatever happened to "Rest in Peace"???

• desib77
    desib77

That is very well put. I haven't ever understood the fascination with horrible things like that either.

• kls
    kls

Ohiocowboy, i don't get it either why anyone would want to see those pics. I personally can't look at things like that it get's me deeply depressed,hearing is bad enough. For long peroids i won't hear the news or read a newspaper because it bothers me so bad. I do have a brotherinlaw that likes to chase ambulances, and i keep telling him one day he will see something he wished he had not .Ohio i am with you i don't get wanting to see others misery.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

It's the other way around for me disaster is attracted to me... just find my x-rays, broken bones everywhere. I'll find the bulls-eye on my ass someday.

Cassi

• kls
    kls

Cassi,,,LOL

• FMZ
    FMZ

Ohio, I understand your questioning, but it is not as simple or shallow as just wanting a few gory details.

I am sure you have seen me on the board, I guess I am a generally well rounded individual. But yes, I also find and watch these videos.

You see (I know this comment alone could start a riot and by some of those that miss my point will seem heartless), when all is said and done, it is only meat. What is truly sad is the fact that the person died, and that their family have lost a father / husband / brother, but the actual death is a mere instant. It comes, it goes, and is done, and what is left is only proteins etc that will decay after some time. This is the reason I guess it doesn't bother me to watch these things. It happens every day to the chicken that you put on your sandwich, or the cow on your burger, often in more brutal ways than these beheadings.

The reason I watch them though, isn't to get some sick buzz... it is to get the facts, plain and simple. We can hear of a beheading on the news, and think it sad and tragic (which it is), but until we see for ourselves what we are daily fighting against, then it just doesn't have the same effect. I personally find it helps me personalize it a little though, what if that were me / a member of my family.

Many people wouldn't understand, and I respect that... heck, I'm not even sure I fully understand why I find it interesting. But please don't assume that all who watch this kind of thing are sick, twisted individuals... we are merely fact finders.

FMZ

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I never understood tornando chaser people. I could understand those that do it for scientific study, to gather meteroloigical data, pictures. But teenagers who just chase these tornandos for fun are really STUPID!

• El blanko
    El blanko

I agree with FMZ and think he represents the situation as it really is. We accept the death of animals far easier than we accept the death of our own species. Probably due to a deeper emotional link and obviously the fact that we are facing our own mortality when we see the hideous reality.

Saying this and acknowledging this as fact, I retain the right to look away, which I do 90% of the time. I do not need to see this brutality again and again to understand it's impact and consequences.

It makes me sad deep inside to witness such horror, yet I know that the bigger part of this sadness is to do with my own eventual demise. My empathy is born out of placing myself in the victims boots and feeling the pain for myself.

• dh
    dh
    Why some people seem to be attracted to this type of news.

i hardly ever watch the news, it's always bad, i think generally that's what sells.

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

I often wonder at human nature - the biggest majority of people tend to like to either know or see 'the gory details'. Could it be sometimes just to know if we're being fed true information ?? I understande what you mean about the dignity in death though - I certainly wouldn't want people gawping at me if I was in that poor mans situation.

Cassi:

I'll find the bulls-eye on my ass someday.

How did you know I was a peeping tom!! lol Lucky it was just my eye!!

Bull!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit