Tale of a Black Congregation Part I

by TMS 18 Replies latest jw friends

• TMS
    TMS

Exposure to two distinct cultures has impacted my life. First, as a young blonde lad from the Pacific Northwest, I was catapulted into the Hispanic culture of the Rio Grande Valley in 1961. “On the border, by the sea” was the Chamber of Commerce slogan, but the change in venue was more dramatic than simply moving from a land of mountains and Douglas fir to beaches, bougainvilla, grapefruit and beaches. It was the warmth and closeness of the Mexican families, the new sounds and flavors and , yes, the Salon del Reino that intrigued and humbled this know-it-all young pioneer. But that is another thread.

This thread is about my ten years in the black congregation. There must have been a number of these relics of JWdom, the essentially all-black congregation, made up of brothers and sisters worshipping Jehovah in a Kingdom Hall composed exclusively of people of their own race. One of these congregations continued until c.1969 in Corpus Christi, Texas. The congregation so etched in my memory continued essentially segregated for two decades more, although I left in 1983.

Midsummer 1972, I took a day off work to meet for service during the circuit overseer’s visit. Instead of going into the field, the CO asked if I would mind driving him and the accompanying DO to inspect a Kingdom Hall in the capital of this southern state. I agreed. Reaching the hall, located in the inner-city, we saw a dilapidated cement block building. There were some obvious code violations and plumbing problems. Many of the 9 inch floor tiles were missing in whole or in part. About 300 metal chairs were folded up against the wall exposing a freshly waxed floor. Outside the building, the air-conditioning condenser had been ripped open and stripped of its copper.

On the drive home the CO mentioned the “need” for brothers in the “East Unit”, since he knew I was unhappy in my current “assignment”. Later that year I moved my family to a relatively affluent neighboring
    congregation, but the seed had been planted.

In the spring of 1973 I got a call from the Presiding Overseer of the East Unit, Brother P. He had been assigned a drama for that summer’s district convention. He knew that I had worked on the drama the year before and wondered if I could meet him for a root beer and exchange ideas.

After a frosty mug, Brother P. asked if I would consider working as sort of a “director” of the drama, helping him with casting , rehearsals, lines, gestures, etc. I respectfully declined, stating that the experience the year before had been way too time-consuming, that I had promised my wife that I wouldn’t commit to anything like that again that kept us separated so many evenings. He said he understood, but that he didn’t expect to rehearse so frequently.

Later that evening Brother P. called again. He had a need for a young man about my son’s age to be a holder of the “pressed dried figs” the script referred to. He thought it also appropriate that the holder of figs be accompanied by his mother. Would I consider my entire family being involved in the drama? I agreed.

Brother P: I’ve heard JT and others speak about JR Brown. It would surprise me greatly if JR had the all-around skills of Brother P. Sent from New York City(not Bethel) in the early 60’s as a Congregation Servant/Special Pioneer in the East Unit of the inner-city of the capital of a southern state. Extremely articulate, personable, down to earth, with a hearty laugh. Although he had many privileges in the integrated circuit, he was NEVER regarded as a token black. The white brothers knew that were he in THEIR congregation, he would be the numero uno. He had the intellect to be sort of a black icon in the JW community, but would not tolerate it. He burst flattery’s bubble with self-deprecating humor and gently chided pompous ones into taking their braggadocio elsewhere. He had a Jordanesque bearing in field ministry. The American basketball player reminds me of him.

It was during our work together on the drama that Brother P. mentioned that his congregation had started remodeling work on their hall. Part of the work involved redoing the rotten roof and extending it. Since the building would be without much of its roof for a period, did he think the elders in my congregation would object to the “East” brothers using their hall temporarily until this roof work was complete? He estimated the roof work would take two weeks. My thinking was that his request was a mere formality and would be graciously approved.

The elder body of my congregation agreed to hear the request at their next elder meeting and Brother P. dispatched the other two East elders to represent the matter. The two brothers made a very straightforward request. Any questions or comments? The old white farmer/elder who had donated the land for the Kingdom Hall expressed his concern for the septic system to accommodate the additional flow. His son-in-law, who owned a small insurance agency, wanted to know what kind of brothers would be using the hall. Some clarification later, he emphasized that he was referring to their caliber, not race. The two black elders excused themselves. We notified the East Unit by letter that their request had been approved. Days later our congregation received a short letter withdrawing the request to use our hall temporarily.

I began to think seriously about transferring to the East Unit, speaking to my wife first and then the body. I was given some subtle warnings.(“Don’t think all those Brothers are like Brother P.”). We made the move in the summer of ’73, becoming the only white family in the East Congregation.

East Congregation Meetings: The meetings were typically attended by 275+. The low ceilings and intense visiting after meetings made it difficult to hear yourself think. (Sometimes, the elders would go outside to discuss important matters in the parking lot. BTW, the Kingdom Hall actually had no parking of its own, but relied on the teacher parking lot of the grade school across the street. On the occasional PTA night, the brothers had to move all their cars and surrounded the residential block completely.

One of the first elder decisions was to split the meetings. We had dual Public Meeting, WT and TMS and Service Meetings. Visiting and local speakers were asked to give two talks which sandwiched the first Watchtower Study. For the first dual public talk, Brother P. suggested using these as drama rehearsals, giving the congregation a drama preview and the brothers real life practice. Both dramas were SRO.

Visiting Speakers: One of my initial observations was that visiting speakers, both black and white, gave a different talk in the East Congregation than they would elsewhere. More liberties were taken in an effort to sort of “get down”. One young white elder gave Brother P. a “black power” handshake after the talk. He was dressed down and not invited back. One black brother went into sort of a comedy routine highlighting racial differences between black and white “friends”. A Gilead graduate/Assembly Overseer started his talk most inappropriately: “Don’t all you young sisters think you’re pretty?” (Whatever that meant) Before the Society absolutely outlawed non-outline talks, one black icon gave his tailor-made racial apology entitled: “Why We Are the Way We Are”.

As the remodel work continued slowly, the front and back extensions of the building were walled but roofless for the Memorial in 1974. Just before the Lord’s Evening Meal, a torrential downpour filled the new rooms with 6 inches of water. Concrete blocks were laid on their sides and the brothers walked across the water on 2” X 12”’s laid on those blocks.

TMS

p.s. I apologize for this being hard to read. All my italics and bold were lost, chopping things up a bit.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Please continue!!!!!

Part II!!!!!

Slipnslidemaster: "Men have become the tools of their tools."
    - Henry David Thoreau

• Prisca
    Prisca

I'll second that.

Thanks for your insightful threads, TMS. I really enjoy them.

• joelbear
    joelbear

My congregation in Valdosta integrated in 1972. Wow, did things pop after that.

Some of the highlights.

1. My best friend (white) started dating a black sister. His father, an elder, used to have heated arguments with him in the annex in the back of the hall about it.

2. Same white elder once told a group of black brothers he couldn't tell them apart.

3. Black elder from another congregation gives a talk showing that it was the white race that was cursed in the Bible (young naive Joel agrees to be his pawn on stage). Black elder brings entourage that hollers agreement to his message from the audience.

4. Joel learns to love the music of the Commodores and Earth Wind and Fire. Joel's mother freaks out when she finds a Commodores poster up in Joel's room.

5. Joel gets in trouble for suggesting that one of the black sisters makes really good fried chicken (I swear I was just commenting on the fact that she was a good cook and fried chicken was my favorite food).

6. Old black sister the only one who will eat my father's barbequed goat at one summer get together.

7. Joel follows his best friend's example by falling in love with handsome black brother at Bethel. Joel sent home to cry himself to sleep every night for 2 years.

8. Young witnesses in Valdosta responsible for turning Adult night at the local skating rink into Soul night, started by us inviting our black brothers and sisters to go with us one Sunday night. Soon there were 5 whites and 300 blacks skating. We had a blast (Flashlight, Slide, Best of my Love) become favorite songs to skate to.

hugs

Joel

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Hey All,

Any green brothers and siters in YOUR congregation?

• Copernicus
    Copernicus

No Fred, no green "siters" in my congregation.

There are a number of the color stupid though, so I'm sure you'd blend right in. In fact, you might become their local "star", LOL.

• teejay
    teejay

TMS,

i have been online for almost ten years. i have been an active member of several bbs ever since. no post, anywhere, by anyone has EVER made tears to come to my eyes.

till now.

• Kent
    Kent

Hi TMS;

Please continue the story, it's real interesting. I have posted it on the Watchtower Observer as well.

What I would like to know - do you have any pictures to go with that story? IF you do, I would love to have them.

Thanks for the interesting story - waiting for the next part!

[email protected]

Yakki Da

Kent

"The only difference between God and Adolf Hitler is that God is more proficient at genocide."

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• TMS
    TMS

Part II

Several elements made this pre-”Quick-Build” era remodel unique: The extraordinary meals served graciously by the sisters. The basketball court across the street. The lack of participation by brothers from neighboring congregations.

Those of you familiar with the cuisine will recognize tiny pieces of fried chicken, black-eyed peas, corn bread, greens with salt pork, cobblers, strawberry cake, etc. The sisters did not work on the hall, but they did as much or more work than the brothers.

After a meal and usually before everyone else had finished eating, someone would start shooting a basketball. Typically, a spirited game would break out. All of the elders and ministerial servants had “game”, except for Brother W. He had been the Congregation Servant replaced by Brother P. He was now in his late 50’s and had just been appointed an elder again. He was familiar with several phases of construction work and so, along with Brother P. supervised the work. On one occasion he went to the court and grabbed the ball. “Oh, Brother W., just two more points will finish the game!” “The game we need to finish is inside that building!” Of course, he was right.

As the lone white elder my role was to use my contacts to recruit outside help. This had mixed results. Several brothers showed up, but found it difficult to contribute. One carpenter said he couldn’t work on a building that wasn’t “square”. Another former circuit overseer/builder disliked working with the inferior materials. (The brothers had purchased the cheapest materials possible, much of it from a salvage lumber yard. The plywood sheets on the roof were slightly warped and needed to be nailed down on one side and then stood on so the other side could be nailed down.) The white brother laying the carpet was very gracious and finished the job. An electrician worked two days and quit. “I just gave you $500 worth of work!” he grumbled. So most everything was done by the East brothers themselves.

The sisters: Much of the age and experience in the congregation was in the sisters. Two of the sisters had been Company Servant and Assistant in the 40’s only to be replaced by a flim flam brother who scooted to California leaving them with the responsibility till Brother W showed up in the late 50’s. The bulk of the congregation had been contacted by these two old sisters or given birth to by the women these sisters had contacted. These two old sisters were the only ones to dislike Brother P. Well, they had done the work for nearly twenty years! And he did away with the piano! One of them never used his name, but called him “Butch”. At least three sisters were extraordinarily beautiful. One sister in her 50’s was a mirror image of Diahann Carroll; the clear skin, the hair, everything. One young married sister was a Whitney Houston with lighter skin. Her husband was a jazz guitarist/singer in the mode of George Benson . When these two split up, the sister went to work at a bank, which began using her for their television commercials. She continued in that role till at least 1993. Finally, one arrogant girl was a model. She arrived fashionably late at every meeting as all heads turned to see the outfit her exasperated two-job husband had purchased. A real Kingdom Hall runway!(When she left him, the brother married a 200 lb. sister who gave him three kids.)

After my arrival two additional elders were appointed, bringing the total to 5:

Brother P.
    OB: Younger than Brother P, proud of his family, his race, his religion, stoic, distrustful of whites, a man of his word, no one got close.
    Roy: genetic brother of OB, irresponsible, flamboyant, Jessie Jackson style speaker, all mess-ups covered by OB
    Brother W: older, gracious brother, stepped down several times
    TMS
    Brother M.

<to be continued>

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Hey there! I remember segregated congregations kind of. Being very young at the time my stepdad married my mom and we moved to Fort Valley GA. Most of the way I remember was that this tiny little town had 2 tiny little congregations. I clearly remembering hearing the grown-ups refer to "the black congregation". And this was in the mid-70's.
    Guess it took a while for that "new light" to blink on.
    mike.

Expect nothing and you will never be disappointed,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit