Are You A Deisel Mechanic? Problem With My Motor, HELP

by Celtic 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Celtic
    Celtic

I drive a Peugeot 405 GT Turbo Deisel Estate, fitted with the 1769cc engine on a K plate (early 90's).

Just now I noticed on the way home that from the bottom of the engine, oil was absolutely pissing out the thing, I managed to get the car the few miles home, topping up often with fresh oil. Are there any deisel mechanics amongst us who might be able to tell me what the problem is, would it be the oil seal or perhaps the sump which is knackered?

If you are not familiar with these engines or have knowledge of deisel engined cars, could I ask politely, that you do not respond to this thread, cheers.

Many thanks in advance.

Mark

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

WELL CELTIC, IF YOU WERE TO TELL ME THAT YOUR ENGINE IS BUILDING OIL, THAT IT IS OVER FULL, IT WOULD BE A LEAKING INJECTOR OR THE DELIVERY TUBES THAT ARE UNDER THE VALVE COVER PUTTING FUEL INTO THE OIL.

IF IT IS TRULY LOOSING OIL THEN THERE ARE SEVERAL AREAS, GASKETS OR SEALS, THAT WOULD LIKELY CAUSE SUCHA THING.

NEED MORE INFORMATION. WHERE IS THE OIL COMING FROM. TOP OF ENGINE? FRONT OR REAR. SIDE OF ENGINE? WHICH SIDE. BOTTOM OF ENGINE? FRONT OR REAR.

OK?

Outoftheorg ex cat engine srv mgr

for got to ask, is it an inline engine or cross mounted. auto or manual transmission. inline or v block

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Years ago I owned a VW diesel. Although the combustion is different than gasoline engines, they are both basically the same engines structure wise. Below is what I got off of a website that comments on both diesel and gas combustion engines.

Accumulation of Lube Oil

Another trouble that may prevent you from stopping an engine is accumulation of lube oil in the intake air passages-manifold or air box. Such an accumulation creates an extremely dangerous condition. You can detect excess oil by removing the inspection plates on the covers and examining the air box and manifold. If you discover oil, remove it and perform the necessary corrective maintenance. If oil is drawn suddenly in large quantities from the manifold or air box into the cylinder of the engine and burns, the engine may run away. The engine governor has no control over the sudden increase in speed.

An air box or air manifold explosion is also a possibility if excess oil is allowed to accumulate. Some engine manufacturers have provided safety devices to reduce the hazards of such explosions.

Excess oil in the air box or manifold of an engine also increases the tendency of carbon to form on liner ports, cylinder valves, and other parts of the combustion chamber.

The causes of excessive lube oil accumulation in the air box or manifold will vary depending on the specific engine. Generally, the accumulation is due to an obstruction in either the air box or separator drains. In an effort to reduce the possibility of crankcase explosions and runaways, some engine manufacturers have designed a means to ventilate the crankcase. In some engines, a passage between the crankcase and the intake side of the blower provides ventilation. In other engines, an oil separator or air maze in the passage between the crankcase and blower intake provides ventilation.

In either type of installation, stopped up drains will cause an excessive accumulation of oil. Drain passages must be kept open by proper cleaning whenever necessary.

Oil may enter the air box or manifold from sources other than crankcase vapors. A defective blower oil seal, a carryover from an oil-type air cleaner, or defective oil piping may be the source of trouble.

Another possible source may be an excessively high oil level in the crankcase. Under this condition, an oil fog is created in some engines by the moving parts. An oil fog may also be caused by excessive clearance in the connecting rod and main journal bearings. In some types of crankcase ventilating systems, the oil fog will be drawn into the blower. When this occurs, an abnormal amount of oil may accumulate in the air box. Removal of the oil will not remove the trouble. The cause of the accumulation must be determined and the necessary repair made.

If a blower oil seal is defective, replacement is the only satisfactory method of correction. When you install new seals, be sure the shafts are not scored and the bearings are in satisfactory condition. Take special precautions during the installation to avoid damaging the oil seals. Damage to an oil seal during installation is usually not discovered until the blower has been reinstalled and the engine has been put into operation. Be sure an oil seal gets the necessary lubrication. The oil not only lubricates the seal, reducing friction, but also carries away any heat that is generated. For most purposes, soak new oil seals in clean, light lube oil before you install them.

• Celtic
    Celtic

Cheers guys for your help. I ought to have mentioned that the trouble must have started when I whalloped the bottom of the car driving up a farm track this around lunchtime, the shock near enough also tearing the exhaust off,. During this 'whalloping' I didn't half hear a bad scraping sound from underneath the engine, so I'm pretty sure from this cause, it is the sump that has gone. I just found out too that my former taxi mechanic is still in business, so will be giving him the car tomorrow to look at.

Ruddy cars.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I'm not a diesel mechanic, but I play one on db.

Look under the car. Trace the oil back to it's origin. Curse.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

WELL CELTIC THAT'S WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU DRIVE UP COUNTRY DRIVEWAYS JUST TO SELL A FEW MAGAZINES TO FOLKS THAT DON'T WANT THEM OR YOU ON THEIR DOOR STEP.

SERVES YOU RIGHT. DAMNED BACK CALLS ANYWAY.

Outoftheorg

• Gadget
    Gadget

If you've knocked the bottom of the engine its likely you've craked/punctured your sump, so if your mechanic can get another from a breakers yard then it should be an easy and cheap fix for you. We used to have a van at work with a similar engine and we had problems with it blowing core plugs which would also make you lose your oil like that. Like someone else said, clean the oil up then start the engine so you can see exactly where its coming out of. Another problem with those engines is the head gasket, if its blown it might be pressurising the oil system and forcing the oil past the seals. Take your filler cap off and check for back pressure.

• Teela
    Teela

Clean the engine bay with a degreaser and wash/steam off. Run vehicle slowing making sure oil and water topped up. See where oil is coming from, (check temp gauge if shows any sign of getting hot stop). This will show where the leak is and take it to the garage from there. If engine has overheated at all chances are you have a blown head.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

I lost a lot of respect for the diesel engines in Peugeot cars when my friends' 1.9 TDI engine went at 170,000 kms. Thats nothing for a diesel. It cost over 3000 GBP (thats Pounds!!!) for repairs!! Big end went in it!

If you want to drive a diesel, get a German one. The Krauts know how to build diesels. VW's diesels are pretty well bullet proof.

Pope

• Celtic
    Celtic

I have to disagree, since I own two of these peugeots, whilst now the other one is being repaired, this repair not being a mechanical fault as such, but was caused by a rather deep rutted farm track upon a clients property, the old one I'm driving has just clocked up 200,000 miles and I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere on the european continent as it is 100% reliable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit