Concerning Birthdays, Dogs, and the Bible

by metatron 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• metatron
    metatron

The Watchtower can't establish clear evidence that birthdays , as a natural event, are part of 'false' religion.

So, they try to associate them with negative events in the Bible and condemn them thereby.

The trouble with this reasoning is that it is foolish to condemn any practise arbitrarily simply because someone can

find something negative correlated with it in Bible events. ( how about chronology and false prophecy?)

Or, how about dogs?

The Bible is far more negative about dogs than birthdays. In the Law, homosexual prostitutes were referred to as 'dogs'.

Unclean people ( Gentiles) were insulted as 'dogs'. All manner of uncleanness and animalistic desire were associated with

dogs. Perhaps the only positive reference to dogs comes as they lick the sores of Lazarus - and even that underscores

their uncleanness ( he tasted salty).

How about pigs and pork? Does the Bible correlate anything positive with that? ( you know already!) Are there more

negative scriptures about pigs than birthdays? ( Yep!)

I have come to wonder if the Society's continued 'weasel-worded' counsel on birthdays could be motivated by a deeper

fear of what marking birthdays does:

It reminds you of how old you are - and the passage of time.

In an organization desperate to maintain control , reminding people of how many years they've spent peddling magazines

and waiting for Armageddon ( Soon!, always Soon!), might not be a good idea.

metatron

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I think the BORG deliberately discourages anything that focuses attention on the individual rather than on the "collective".

I'm sure the scriptures also speak negatively of religious legalism more often than they do so of birthdays.

Walter

• gumby
    gumby

I think they should do away with the Memorial and view it as pagan since everything didn't go smoothly that evening.

To think one should view a day as unbecoming to god because something bad happened on that day.....or that "day" was abused by someone once...hence we should avoid that days celebrations, , is rediculous.

The bible says if anyone wants to put a day above another to thank god, then that's their buisness. To me a birthday of a child is a way to thank god for the life of your offspring, yet to a dub it's pagan. "Scrooge Witnesses" would have been a fitting name for them.

Gumby

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

metatron:

I have come to wonder if the Society's continued 'weasel-worded' counsel on birthdays could be motivated by a deeper

fear of what marking birthdays does:

It reminds you of how old you are - and the passage of time.

In an organization desperate to maintain control , reminding people of how many years they've spent peddling magazines

and waiting for Armageddon ( Soon!, always Soon!), might not be a good idea.

Interesting view! Never understood the 'birthdays are bad' routine myself....

Bull!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I think the BORG deliberately discourages anything that focuses attention on the individual rather than on the "collective".

I'd say it was more a case of them discouraging anything they don't personally like, so we have wedding rings allowed, perhaps because the GBs wives wouldn't get rid of their rings!!!

• logansrun
    logansrun

I think the "birthdays are bad" doctrine is a vestige from the Rutherford era. Joe came down on just about EVERYTHING and seemed obsessed to find evil everywhere. He wanted to seperate JWs from whatever normalcy they used to enjoy. "Being seperate from the world..."

Because Joe & Co. came down so hard on B-days, and because JW youth grew accustomed to not celebrating them, the GB sees no reason to change their stance. I don't think it has anything to do with keeping people unawares of how many years are going by without Armageddon. They do celebrate anniversaries (wedding or otherwise).

B.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Well, the standard line that the dubs have about birthdays is that on each occasion that birthdays are mentioned in the Bible, it was pagans who were doing the celebrating and that bad things took place e.g. the beheading of John the Baptist. What they fail to mention is that good things also happened on the birthdays. Just look at one of them, in Genesis 40. This is the account of the cupbearer and the baker:

"Now the the third day was Pharoah's birthday and he gave a feast for all his officials. He lifted up the heads of the chief cupbearer and the chief baker in the presence of his officials: He restored the chief cupbearer to his position, so that he once again put the cup into the Pharoah's hand, but he hanged the chief baker, just as Joseph had said to them in his interpretation." - Genesis 40:20-22 (NIV)

The dubs concentrate on just one half of this account, the chief baker being hanged, but what of the chief cupbearer who had justice done to him? Curiously the WTS overlook him. Yes, Biblically, good things can be associated with a birthday celebration.

Why do the Dubs miss him? Oh well, selective reasoning, eh?

• Quotes
    Quotes

Job 1:4 (regarding JOB -- usually an example for everyone to follow, according to Watchtowerism.

New American Standard
    His sons used to go and hold a feast in the house of each one on his day, and they would send and invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them.

American Standard
    And his sons went and held a feast in the house of each one upon his day; and they sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them.

Basic English Bible
    His sons regularly went to one another's houses, and every one on his day gave a feast: and at these times they sent for their three sisters to take part in their feasts with them.

Douay-Reheims
    And his sons went, and made a feast by houses every one in his day. And sending they called their three sisters to eat and drink with them.

King James Version
    And his sons went and feasted [in their] houses, every one his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them.

[And in case you haven't yet figured out what "his day" is, may I present....]

World English Bible
    His sons went and held a feast in the house of each one on his birthday; and they sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    because JW youth grew accustomed to not celebrating them

Ha, I never grew accustomed to that. I'm sure to many, it feels so unfair...

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

The Dubs fail to realize that bad things can happen on *any* day, much less someone's birthday. Celebrating an anniversary in honor of a marriage date is exalting the couple above others for that one day. How can it be different that celebrating the date of a birth of a child is any different, since you are only exalting ONE person, versus two. Not to mention that so many pagan traditions are tied up with the traditional marriage ceremony... hmmmm.

Country Girl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit