Governing Body Stories

by GenericMan 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

I met the late Milton Henschel when I was about 12 or 13. He came to town to give a special talk, and it seems my parents knew him. I found a photo the other day, of him with my mom, but my memories are vague.

I met Dan Sydlik at a DC about 10 years ago. I was walking to my seat, and we collided in an aisle. After we both apologized, he introduced himself. He was nice, and was carrying a camera, and told me he was taking pictures of all the pretty girls. At the time I thought that a bit odd. (He probably didn't answer that man's question because he didn't know the answer.............these guys are corporate men, not Bible men)

I know I met Knorr too, but don't remember it. He was a buddy of my late stepfather, who studied with my parents. (got that?) Anyway, when we were in New York one time, we met him, or so I've been told.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I met Bro Booth as he dedicated our KH.

I asked him if the Gov Body could bring bach the sabbath, as I needed the rest. He didn't think it was that funny.

• exjdub
    exjdub
    I asked him if the Gov Body could bring bach the sabbath, as I needed the rest. He didn't think it was that funny.

They don't have a sense of humor do they confused??

exjdub

• logansrun
    logansrun

I was always under the impression that Sydlik was (is?) one of the most liked GB members. Has a sense of humor and doesn't play by all the rules. An ex-Bethelite told me that he once said that "we have to change all our doctrines starting with the Garden of Eden."

Lyman Swingle came to Chicago for an assembly part one time. He was very old, probably only a couple years before he died. I remember he warmly greeted people after the assembly. That was nice, unlike....

Ted Jaracz, who was nowhere to be found before, during and after the program on all three occassions that I've heard him speak. He gave his talks and disappeared somewhere. Didn't greet anyone. He seemed like a very confident, polished speaker who was relaxed but very subtle about his dogmatic and condescending message. No sense of humor whatsoever.

I also was at the Bethel breakfast table when I heard one of the new GB members -- Lett? -- counsel Bethelites that they should not speak with their disfellowshipped family members. At the time he said this the WT website said that "disfellowshipping does not break family ties" or something to that effect. They have since changed the wording of that.

That was supposed to be the trip to Bethel which was going to save my faith. Didn't work.

Bradley

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I met Knorr right after I played the "little Israelite girl" in the drama about Na'aman in Denver. <sp> I guess I wasn't that impressed because I remember thinking he had a square head and looked like a cartoon figure. <shrug>

Country <Knorr looked like Sponge Bob> Girl

• Room 215
    Room 215

Re Sydlik: one somewhat redeeming character trait was that he was somewhat of an individualist, a ``closet" liberal who was probably closer to Swingle and Ray Franz on the political spectrum; he would have likely favored progressive initiatives and a continuation of the trend to liberalization, de-empahis on hours, etc., but I understand he ``hit the deck" when the ``excrrement hit the ventilator'' during the Franz/Dunlap/Sanchez witch-hunt episode.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

My brother was in bethel in the 80's,,at that time the GB would rotate seating assignments for meals.

Dan Sillydick was table head at my brothers table for that week. A sister asked Dan where he was originally from,,he wasn't in a very good mood so he said to her in a ruff baratone voice: "Outer space". The sister quiped back quickly: "Do you get home sick much?". Everyone who found it funny at the table, stifled there laughter.

• Farkel
    Farkel

When my sister was at Bethel she told me this story about Swingle:

He was in the elevator and one of the new boys was telling him that he was upset that so many bethel boys cursed and cursed often.

Swingle bowed his head and slowly shook it back and forth, and muttered, "oh, shit."

Farkel

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Farkel,

Swingle bowed his head and slowly shook it back and forth, and muttered, "oh, shit."

There you go! I heard that he actually said, "Hoe spit".

HS

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I knew Steve Lett, his brother Tim and his parents, Mark and Jean Lett. Mark and Jean studied with my folks in the early 70's. Steve was down from Bethel a few times. Mark was later a CO in IL. We wer near Clarksville Arkansas at the time. The Lett's were from B'ham Alabama and Mark made millions in the exterminating business after WW2 and the 50's. Steve did a few circuit tours too.

Mom has a picture of Steve and his wife (ANN?) in his folks trailer.... He was, maybe 25, at the time. A big deal too as he was "unusually young to be of the annointed". He never had a lot to say and seemed to be a humorless young man trying to seem mature to me. It was also a big deal that he was married - I guess in the early 70's it took a act off God to keep a wife at the 'big house".

------------Hill ( i ate lunch with another Bethel GB on the tour one day- can't remember who)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit