Idyllic paradise breeds idiots

by frankiespeakin 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali
    For a baby to grow up without developing an ego, if that is possible, all of it's needs for warmth, being held, loved, fed, rocked, and a million other needs/wants would need to be filled almost before it felt them. That would be called being spoiled.

Yeah, and unfortunately often that is just a very immature ego. Animals have survival instincts, but that in itself doesn't mean they have this egoic consciousness. It is when that natural instinct hooks up with the psychological mind in a human being that you have the strange phenomena of self image and trying to preserve such, as if your actual survival depended on it - reminds me of the parts of Zoolander I saw last night. Of course, it should be pointed out that this doesn't necessarily have anything to do with IQ. One might be gifted but it would be a waste if that intelligence is in the service of a totally self absorbed ego, be that your own or someone else's. (in the latter case it would just be one ego modeled after another) In this regard I think one would do well to take the attitude of the Peter character from the movie Office Space: "You see Bob, its not that I'm lazy - its just that I don't care."

• zen nudist
    zen nudist
    Are you talking about a complete acceptance of the world as it is,, with no desire for it to be any other way?

I am talking about the key to transcending the concepts of good and evil is to accept the world as it is.... which includes desires that it be otherways and an understanding that it is dynamic and not static....

both good and evil are judgements about some aspect of reality as compared to something that aspect is not... so what is the standard of measure? it is NOT real, but an idea, an imagined possible alternative... we can divide up the world by such judgements in many different ways besides good vs evil... there is fair vs unfair, real vs imagined, rational vs irrational, healthy vs sick, proper vs improper... each one has its own standard which often does not have to revolve around a single idea of perfection. each also produces a dominant emotion.

evil brings anger. unfair generates worry . sick leads to compassion, improper causes disgust.

the validity of these judgements is often based on nothing more than gut reactions and rarely does one realize they have as their source an ideal which has little concern with how reality actually works.

if we understood how reality actually unfolded, we would have zero false anticipations, but because we are ignorant we can do little better than to guess what is coming and prepare for it with what skills we have mustered... too often we forget our limitation and come to believe that reality cheated us some how or by means of someone and thus we blame others for being what they are, rather than accept the fact that we made our anticipation in ignorance of how reality works and taking the consequences of our bad guess and learning from it.

zen is the practice that takes you to the place where you are now...it is only our ignorance that makes such a useless journey possible.

after all, we are always exactly where we find ourself, but such a simple acceptance escapes most of us most of the time.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Hey Carmel thanks for the fine tunning on the :

The "challenge and response theory" suggests that intelligence and industrousness are products of the temperate zones.

Yes, I can see this. Very interesting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit