any suggestions for my "family problems"

by 1m2y3j 19 Replies latest social family

• 1m2y3j
    1m2y3j

Hello to all of you.

It is very hard to condense 30 yrs of "in-law abuse" into a sentence or two, but hopefully some of you can relate and if you have found a way to cope/deal with it I'm all ears.

Basically, my spouse and I have stayed together for 30-plus yrs because of being witnesses, despite extreme differences of values and goals. Half-way thru the lives of our children we both discovered the fallacies of WTS and thankfully left this simultaneously. Nevertheless, the underlying problems have never been properly dealt with but rather have escalated.

The in-law problems are largely related to being witnesses, but also due to the fundamental value differences of the two families. The current problem is today when my spouse took our one daughter to visit family, they attacked my character and made false accusations in the presence of my spouse (who did not and never has come to my defense/support). Needless to say, my daughter was devastated and furious, called my cell-phone in a fury, and was heartbroken and crying.

I have often contemplated divorce because of the serious value difficulties in our marraige but have felt that staying together was always best for the childrens' stability. Now that my daughter has had this experience, I am concerned that it would be unwise to "send the message" to her that it is okay to just let yourself be abused in this way. I have tolerated this type of abuse but it has never before occurred in my childrens' presence. I'm not sure that divorce would be the "correct" action, but feel that I need to find some way to counteract this.

Perhaps because I was raised as a witness, I have been "conditioned" to accept derision and it seems easier to just silently ignore it. I do not want to overreact, and I do want her to know that this is often what goes on in life and that we just have to ignore alot of what others think, say and do.

Thank you in advance for all your thoughts.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz
    Perhaps because I was raised as a witness, I have been "conditioned" to accept derision and it seems easier to just silently ignore it.

You are right on the money with this. Being a witness for so long makes it seem just so difficult to change your situation in life in any form.We are taught that it is just part of our JW lives, created by Satan. (blah) I cant offer any advice, I've not been in your situation, but there are plenty on this board who have. Just wanted to tell you WELCOME, and I hope you can make whatever decisions you need to make with great ease.

• Special K
    Special K

Welcome to the forum 1m

It does seem true that sometimes we don't face or react to things until they are thrown up into the faces of our children.

Do you think that is what is sparking you to want to deal with this? Your daughter was certainly hurt by hearing you being raked through the coals.

I hate it when people do this kind of thing. It's sort of like their "thinking brain" is shut off or something and the child became invisible to them.

sincerely

Special K

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Bring Back To The Top so you can get some good advice :)

• metatron
    metatron

Weigh the whole matter carefully and consider all the challenges you might face with divorce.

I would first confront your mate calmly and with every sincere attempt to find peace. It really sounds like his

failure to speak up shows a lack of love and proper loyalty to you - and that needs to be addressed.

metatron

• 1m2y3j
    1m2y3j

Thank you for your thoughts.

Metatron?s advice:

?I would first confront your mate calmly and with every sincere attempt to find peace. It really sounds like his failure to speak up shows a lack of love and proper loyalty to you - and that needs to be addressed?

This is something I have done repeatedly over the years, but he makes excuses for his family and says it will just take time for his them to accept me.

Before our children were born, I often refused to attend his family affairs unless he promised to defend me. He would say he would try to find a way if I would just try to understand that others didn?t really mean what they said.

After one occasion when I spoke up to defend myself I thought things had improved but later discovered that was the icing on the cake for them to decide I was disrespectful to my elders and a disrespectful wife.

Ironically, during a watchtower study about ?headship and subjection,? despite the elder trying to emphasize the point in the article that when a husband and wife disagree, it is the Godly way for the wife to ?give in? and support the husband decision, my husband contended that ?if the wife explains her reasons and has a good motive the husband should be willing to give-in to the wife.? Over the years when serious issues have arisen, I have asked him if he really meant this.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz
    that was the icing on the cake for them to decide I was disrespectful to my elders and a disrespectful wife.

Let me tell you this is one of the major reasons I didnt get married as a JW when I had the opportunity. I'm fairly "traditionally" minded but the dark ages view of women and their roles in the congregation is sore spot for me. Darlin you are just as smart and have just as much right to have any opinion you want. Their ego-driven machismo run of things is ridiculous. YOU deserve to be just as happen as anyone else, please know that. Women were not put on this earth to be dominated, but to be complimented, not verbally.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

My ex mother in law was like that. I couldnt stand the witch.

She would say that i am lucky to have a man like that.

I should be better.

I was stealing him away from her.

Finally i let her have it!

He wasnt defending me, so i did it myself and then i left him.

Now she has him all to herself

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz
    Now she has him all to herself

Those type of Mama's boy type relationships really give me the creeps

• Fed Up
    Fed Up

I've had 20 years of jehovah's witness in-law abuse, and my screen name reflects my sentiments regarding it!

NO WAY would I divorce my husband because of THEM! That's what they're HOPING for!!!

Why would you even THINK of giving them the satisfaction?

Unless there's more to it? 30 years of marriage for the kids sake? Aren't they GROWN by now? At this point, your divorce should not have any effect on your children's stability, and if you are truely being abused, it would seem to me that staying together would have more of a negative effect. Would you want your daughter to stay in an abusive relationship? If you're comtemplating divorce though, it should be because of how you feel about your HUSBAND, not because of how you feel about your in-laws--you didn't marry THEM!

My suggestion? It was my husband who was raised a witness, not ME! My parents taught me not to feel "inferior" to ANYONE, and if they did that to me?

I'd confront them! Now, I can go from "zero" to "satan's hell spawn" in roughly 5 seconds flat, and can scream happily for hours on end--just got my voice back after losing it for almost 2 weeks after my most recent bout, but...

I don't NEED my husband to defend me--all I ask is that he stays out of my way! I am FAR better at defending myself--and enjoy it SO much more than HE ever could! Of course, this hasn't actually fostered a GOOD relationship with my in-laws, but, well, I've come to realize that they will never LIKE or ACCEPT me, so I guess FEAR will have to do! They learned a LONG time ago that I respond immediately, with extreme violence!

But you don't have to scream to get your point across--for me, it's just more FUN that way--but instead, get yourself some good books on dealing with "verbally abusive people"--go to your local Barnes and Nobles or visit Amazon.com. They have some good techniques you can employ to defend yourself against false accusations and turn the tables on them.

Good luck!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit