New 'Asleep', uh, I mean, 'Awake' information on b-days....

by TallTexan 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Atilla
    Atilla
    They probably connected the third sentence to the second in an ambiguous way to make it look like to those on the outside that JWs don't actually have a strict rule on the subject, while those indoctrinated inside the faith know that birthdays in practice are not permitted. It also gives them wiggle room for the future.

That's assuming people on the outside or even on the inside even read the magazine. If I was still a dub, I would have been skimming through, said, oh another article on pinatas, and chucked it.

• glitter
    glitter

I can't wait to get hold of a copy of this - to show the smug elder who brings mum's mags...

*Why* is it that the org didn't just reply "*No* this does *not* refer to Christmas and birthdays" - I'm sure not so long ago they would have. I'm sure the person who wrote asking believes that they're now a conscience issue, well got that perspective on it to begin with anyway (probably until elders told them off!).

It seems like they screwed up by not reseaching Pinatas (and before that there were letters about whether it's OK for a Christian to go to a Luau wasn't there) and instead of saying "whoops, yeah, they're evil, our fault" - they're seemingly digging themselves into a bigger hole but at the same time saying it's still wrong - but at the same time saying it's not *currently* wrong. It's a muddle.

I read out the quote from the original thread to my mum and she just looked stunned - I said "well that clears things up!" jokingly and she said "it's very confusing" *seriously*. Hehe I think she's been away from JWs for too long if she's seeing what's written rather than what is *menat*! Well at least she didn't seem to feel too guilty when we had a day out with friends for my birthday last week!

• Flash
    Flash
    However, if it is very obvious that a custom has no current false religious significance and involves no violation of Bible principles, each Christian must make a personal decision as to whether he will follow such a custom

They set the bar up VERY high then add the condition about bible principles which is funny because it all depends on what they are currantly viewing as a PRINCIPLE!

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

They are basically saying that its obvious from the bible that Birthdays should still be prohibited.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit