A curious similarity in the new "Chronicles of Riddick" flick...

by Michael3000 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

Sound familiar?

- Michael

*****************************************************************************************

Feore Suffered For Riddick

The Chronicles of Riddick, told SCI FI Wire that it was a challenge performing in a complete suit of armor. "The armor ... was very cool," Feore said in an interview. "I'm fundamentally of the belief that it's not how you feel, but how you look. And if you look cool, then everything else doesn't matter. But it sucked. I mean, it was ... pinching me here. It was knocking me out. It was metal, titanium. [The] hat, the gloves, were unbelievable."

The Lord Marshal is the general of a "legion vast" of Necromongers, armored warriors who travel in immense ships and lay waste to entire planets. As such, he appears in the movie encased in what appears to be heavy metal armor (but which was made out of a combination of metal and rubber). "The craftsmanship in this outfit was fabulous," Feore said. "But it doesn't do you any good when someone says, 'But we made this especially for you,' as they hammer it onto your head. You go, 'You know what? I'm not feeling the love here. It's still metal, and it still hurts, so could you go a little bit easier?'"

But Feore said that he was able to understand his character's motivation in forcibly converting entire races of people to his cause, the Necromonger faith. "What is the Necromonger selling? 'We'll take away your pain.' The pain of choices of living, of getting up every day and saying, 'What am I worth? What's my point? What is my purpose?' I say to you, 'Forget all that. Join the holy half-dead, and I'll give you a purpose. You're working for me now.'" The Chronicles of Riddick, starring Vin Diesel, opens June 11. Riddick is being released by Universal Pictures, which is owned by NBC Universal, which also owns SCIFI.COM.

• Satanus
    Satanus

' The pain of choices of living, of getting up every day and saying, 'What am I worth? What's my point? What is my purpose?' I say to you, 'Forget all that. Join the holy half-dead, and I'll give you a purpose. You're working for me now.'"

Interesting concept.

S

• Balsam
    Balsam

My husband and I went to see this movie. I thought of the WTS as the NECOMONGERS right away. Seeking total control over the world, believing their God will destroy all but them. Thank goodness they are not out killing people. But the mind control is a strong compassion to any cult motivated religion or business. Not unlike the Borg of Strar Trek. "Resistence is Futile".

I love sci-fi movies.

Balsam

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

I saw that movie this weekend also, and I couldn't help but think the same thing. The whole attitude and philosopy of the Necromongers smacked so much of the WT that for a minute I thought they were drawing a parrallel.

Of course, I didn't verbalize this observation out loud, since I was sitting with a couple of Dub relatives. I'm sure the parrallel went right over thier heads.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

it all begins with an ideal fantasy.

once you have that firmly in place, you judge how all things do not live up to it or support it...it becomes the basis for your motivations.

if you believe this ideal is from God, it becomes you absolute divider for good or evil.

it becomes the glue which binds you to all others who share the same ideal...you now work towards supporting whatever brings about this ideal and you work to destroy whatever harms it... you feel anger towards anything that harms it, you hate what harms your ideal.

the contradictions that flow naturally from this view of things are not apparent at first... reality seems flawed and the ideal seems perfect... but you do not see that it is only because you have already been brainwashed to accept an ideal fantasy as superior to reality that such an idea can even exist within you... you cannot even conceive of reality be perfectly as it must be... how could it be, there are so many violations of your ideal? the circular logic has escaped you.

the further CONtradiction of a god who knows in advance every single moment, yet damns just about all of them as not living up to an ideal fantasy which he of course already knew they would not, escapes you as well...the insanity of a god who demands what he knows never could be is impossible to even contemplate...god must be perfect, right? that means that such a CONtradiction must only exist in imperfect minds, so you must never see it.

The necromongers followed a man who EXPERIENCED something profound which caused him to believe in a TRUTH which was not validated by anything other than his own belief system... which happens to so many. their lack of imagination causes them to jump to one conclusion and becomes CONviNcED that it is THE TRUTH: eliminating all other possibilities without even knowing they exist... false certainty becomes passion as the quest to make everything and everyone bow to the unverified and unproven ideal becomes all CONsuming.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Zen

Seems to describe the crusader in chief, whom we all know, if you know what i mean.

SS

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

When my fella and I saw this flick on Sunday, I whispered to him at around that point "Oh no, it's Jehovah's Witnesses!". We both cracked up, because it really did seem like an extreme version of them, swooping into town, telling everybody to convert...OR ELSE!!!

It's a really fun, silly movie, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

Thanks, folks. I will be seeing this on the weekend - love the sci-fi stuff!

• El blanko
    El blanko

... and if you own an Xbox, take a look at the game. A little on the brutal side, but graphically stunning. The game is extremely well scripted and pretty much blows the competition out of the water. Shockingly good for the game of a movie.

• jws
    jws

Not having seen the flick, but going on that description above, it sounds much more like what Catholics did to civilizations with their missionaries, crusades, and the inquisition. JWs can be stubborn and pesky, but don't have the kind of power the Catholic Church once wielded. I guess Catholics are the first religion that would have popped into my mind. Now if these Necromongers came to a planet and started going door-to-door offering literature for a small donation, then I'd say dubs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit