The Watchtower guilt machine is indeed a powerful tool

by Nocturne 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Nocturne
    Nocturne

jst2laws, Steve Lowry, HappyDad, CeriseRose, heianderen, shamus (Wow that's alot of people ) thank you for your comforting words and advice. I will definitely be taking it easy these next few days, and also I will try not to think too much about the past and other things that could stir up negative feelings.

I can say that today I feel much better, and that I'm getting over that guilt.

Nocturne

• Nocturne
    Nocturne

M.J...wow, those experiences are dead on!! It is really something to look at these, and it makes you truly realize how similar these two organizations operate, and many more in the world that use the same tactics. Looking at something like this reinforces the fact that I made the right decision.

Inducing guilt in anybody is NOT a Christian quality - Jesus Christ never did that

stillajwexelder, that is so true, yet JWs insist that they alone truly follow Jesus Christ's example.

• Triple A
    Triple A
    Noc - you hold you mom in your arms and tell her that you love her and that she is a good mom.

You then go on to be the best damn (person) the world has ever seen.

This advice from confusedjw is excellent. Show them the love that they will not show you. Show them it is not a couple of guys in Brooklyn that control your life.

• mouthy
    mouthy

ll I really know and can be absolutely sure of in this life is that one day I'm gonna die. In the meantime, I plan on getting as much out of this life as I can and not be stifled by anyone, especially a pseudo-religious book publishing corporation.( Quoted above)

Hey !That is the truth...Remember guilt is the most destructive force in the world. You are FREE now.
    But I know what your going through .I felt SO guilty when they kicked me out ( for not believing Jesus came in 1914-invisably of course) I wanted to kill myself.
    I thank God everyday that I didnt......because I have been able to be there for many who were told ( by elders) there is nowhere to go!!!!
    You will find if you make new friends --know that Christ said "IT IS FINISHED" HE paid it all IN FULL!

You have been released from Bondage!!!He gave you that gray stuff between the ears ( brains) to use INDEPENDANTLY!!!! Sounds to me like you are using yours.

I do agree with the advice to cuddle your Mum( I am 77- so I love a cuddle- all Mum do.)Tell her Jesus said HE is the WAY,TRUTH,LIFE & you are going to follow him as Jehovah said "LISTEN to my SON!!" The son said "LOVE one another even your enemies."... God bless !!!! Keep your chin up (((HUG)))

I am in WT definition Undeserved Kindness- on JWD >Mouthy- & to all & sundry> Granny!! Take your pick --- But the WT calls me the "Chief Apostate of Ontario" A Badge I wear with GREAT HONOR!!!!

• carrot-juice
    carrot-juice

dear nocturn,

this is my first post here,.....and it seems very appropiate that it would be in regard to such a subject.... you are very correct in noting that what you said to your mother caused her terrible pain..... but that was unavoidable.....

what you told your mother is exactly what our son said to me over 2 years ago..... right after he came home from nearly 4 years at brooklyn bethel...i thought my heart would actually break!!! yet thanks to our sons great courage,...... and his trueness to what he HAD to tell us...... im am also now free from the watchtower and all of its lies, after over 34 years as a baptised jw. also so is his father who was an elder at the time of this announcement. also so is his brother who was then an m.s. and still at brooklyn bethel. also his sister who had been a pioneer for 9 years.... and her spouse,....and last of all (so far) his youngest sister who had been baptised 6 years earlier.

you will survive this!!!!!!

i put my arms around you ((((((( nocturn)))))) carrot-juice

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

You get the thumbs up from me Nocturn. At least you are opting out knowing it isn't the troof. I didn't have the brains to work that out when I ran away from home and the Borg to start a, guilt ridden, new life.

Nice first post carrot-juice. Made my day.

Welcome to the board

• Nocturne
    Nocturne

carrot-juice,

First I would like to welcome you to JWD. What a great first post that was, and very encouraging words from your part.

what you told your mother is exactly what our son said to me over 2 years ago..... right after he came home from nearly 4 years at brooklyn bethel

I wish I could just print this post you wrote and give it to my mom to read. Especially this part since during the conversation, when she started blaming herself for my decision she said she should have encouraged me to go to bethel. To which I replied, even people who are in bethel end up leaving anyways.

Congratulations for your family for managing to get out of the borg, and I hope you will be posting more on the forum.

Nocturne

• Nocturne
    Nocturne
    I do agree with the advice to cuddle your Mum( I am 77- so I love a cuddle- all Mum do.)Tell her Jesus said HE is the WAY,TRUTH,LIFE & you are going to follow him as Jehovah said "LISTEN to my SON!!" The son said "LOVE one another even your enemies."... God bless !!!! Keep your chin up (((HUG)))

Thanks alot for your your words of encouragement. I really enjoy reading your posts on the forum, and certainly this place wouldn't be the same without you. I will definitely take this advice at heart, and continue to do my best to prevent the guilt layed on me from affecting me.

• joenobody
    joenobody

SoJ - you can bite me. I expect that kind of callous remark from less remarkable idiots.

Nocturne - hang in there. You are going to run the gamut of emotions and are are probably going to need to talk to people who've been there before. As I mentioned to you in a PM you can talk to my bro and I as we both live in town and have been through similar stuff. I understand what it's like to feel you are mortally wounding your mom. It kills you inside. But the right thing to do is not the equivalent of the easy thing to do.

Friends that you'll never hear from again? Absolutely. Rebuilding from nothing? Yes, it's true. But more would leave I think if it were an easy transition. But it can be done - I'm living proof. I have a bunch of true friends who will (and have) stuck by me that I had to work to develop friendships with over the years. You will get there too... Come and meet me for a coffee when you are ready to either blow off some steam, or just go on a seemingly endless rant to a receptive ear.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit