"New Light" Switches Faiths?

by Dan-O 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

There was a knock at the door earlier this week. And I was on the phone, so my daughter opened the door to find two women on our porch. Holy somkes ... it must be JWs!

Nope. They were from the local Church of God. And rather than wasting a bunch of time 'sharing an inspiring thought from the Bible', they gave my daughter a package of light bulbs and a card with the church address on it. The card promptly went in the trash, but we'll use the light bulbs eventually. I hope they got a good deal on them.

Have any of you seen this sort of technique in use?

• Gopher
    Gopher

I haven't heard of this one.

Usually Christian "missionaries" give away food or other goodies to entice the natives to come join their church. I heard such converts called "Rice Christians" from the Kingdom Hall platform.

Maybe they were trying to make you "light bulb" Christians.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

They are trying to bring you to the light! Or more accuratly bring the light to you!

• Farkel
    Farkel

: but we'll use the light bulbs eventually

I can guarantee the light bulbs will last longer than some of the current Watchtower doctrines.

Farkel

• simplesally
    simplesally

At least you can use the light bulbs! Well you can use the WT too....for toilet paper or cleaning windows.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Q. How many members of the Church of God does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. Undetermined.
    Whether your light is bright, dull, or completely out, you are loved -- you can be a lightbulb, turnip bulb, or tulip bulb. A church-wide lighting service is planned for Sunday, August 19. Bring bulbs of your choice and a covered dish.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    They are trying to bring you to the light! Or more accuratly bring the light to you!

JW's will never be able to use this approach.They after all would only be able to offer dim bulbs or flashing light

• ball.
    ball.

Were they energy saving light bulbs?

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

You know they weren't JW's because:

1) They'd have told you that ONLY their light bulbs would light up.

2) They'd have asked for a 'small' donation for the worlwide lighting work

3) They would have given you an instruction manual for the bulbs, since they are 'figurative' bulbs and to understand how they work you need literature from the WB&TS.

4) Told you that you could not use the bulbs, since only 144,000 'chosen' ones could actually use them. Everyone else is the 'great crowd' of candle users.

5) Told you that you could only use 60w bulbs. If you used 75 or, god forbid, 100w, then you'd be subject to a committee meeting.

6) They would have made sure you had no gas lanterns or oil lamps in your house, as they were only mentioned once in the Bible and were associated with demons and ancient pagan religions.

7) They would have asked to come back in a 'couple of weeks' to see how the bulbs were burning.

8) Taken your 'donation' money and spent it at the 10:30 coffee break.

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

HAhahahaha - you guys crack me up. I am rotfl!! at work!! I can't take it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit