7th day psychos!!

by boy@crossroads 26 Replies latest jw friends

• boy@crossroads
    boy@crossroads

Today, saturday I figured I'd take a little run to the adventist church to see how similiar they are to the witnesses. I just came from it actually. After talking with them I just had to run to the computer, asap. So I sat down at their service and the pastor was talking about how they (the church members) needed to be strong in this world and its standards. At the end of his little speel the closing song ( or hymn) was, don't remember exactly now, but to the affect of "relying upon god, putting trust in god".

After the service, people started walking out. I felt like walking out too b/c there was a lot of old people and they were kind of cliqueish. For the first time in my life amidst them I thought to myself "I bet they think I'm really evil and from the devil". Finally someone, an older man came to talk to me. Sucker had some bad breath too, but at least he came to talk to me so I shouldn't be so hard on him. Well as it turned out everyone was gathering in a back room for a meal. I figured, "what the hell, go for it".

While in line I started talking to a kid about my own age. As we were approaching the food he made a remake "have you every had adventist food, its really different". Truth be known if he hadn't said anything I wouldn't have been able to tell that adventists had a different diet than other people. The food was like any other gathering i've been at. Nice kid though.

So I sat at the table with his family. They asked, "its interesting you've showed up here, do you have any other religious background". And which I answered, "NO". The husband asks, "So would you call yourself an atheist". I tried to play dumb by saying, "no, i believe that their is a god, but I just haven't really read the scriptures to know what his personality is like". Boy did that fuel their fire!!

The wife says, "you kind of remind me of my mother and some other relatives of mine. Their catholic and they say they believe the bible but most of what they do is tradition." { I really don't know how that applied to me but anyway she said it}. The whole time I had to play like I didn't know anything about the bible. Anyway I finally asked the lady, "how did you come to be an adventist?" She said she had a neighbor and every saturday he would leave and come back home. She said to herself,"what is he crazy?" So she started talking to him and he started showing her proof from the bible that, 1.she shouldn't eat pork and 2. she shouldn't do anything on saturday. It was right there in the bible, plain as day!!

As to why the husband believes in adventism, he says "i've never found any other religion that can back up completely what it believes"!!. At which point the wife adds, "you know some times we get people at our door these, Jehovahs witnesses that try to talk to us. If they could prove their point I would join them but they can't prove their point. They can't back it up!!" {so now I'm thinking to myself, If they only knew who they were talking to.} Oh how pretending is fun!!

So I ended up taking a few 7th day adventist pamplets home. I not sure how strong the kids where in the faith. As I was sitting at the table, I could tell the kids were nervous that their parents were talking to me about their beliefs!! I would like to find out how much their son believes in the truff. btw, they actually used that word, 'truth' pretty loosely as they were talking to me.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow
    Jehovahs witnesses that try to talk to us. If they could prove their point I would join them but they can't prove their point.

That's an interesting comment I thought. She would join them if they could only prove their pipedream to be true! So she can't be satisfied with her church either.

Boy, that Paradise Dream has a strong appeal. Too bad it's all just a hoax.

Thanks for sharing that experience! And I hope you do find out more about how those 7th Day youths really feel.

• Odrade
    Odrade

I've mentioned before, last summer I was on a road trip and picked up a 7th day Ad. convention on the radio. I listened for about and hour, and could believe it. Other than a few give-aways in terminology, it could have been a JW convention, they are so similar.

O

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Interesting story there boy@, you are very brave to go to another church, I just have no stomach for religion any longer.

Odrade:

Other than a few give-aways in terminology, it could have been a JW convention, they are so similar.

Well you know they are a spin off or JW's are a spin off them I forget which came first the chicken or the egg, LOL Ask Craig he can tell ya.

Weird growing up I had my Aunt and Uncle were Adventist and my Mom used to say how similar their beliefs are to JW's. I never asked my cousins about it, they were weird but they got to celebrate X-mas and B-days! Made us JW's look even weirder.

Kate

• Farkel
    Farkel

The Adventists have almost become just another mainstream religion. Both Jehovah's Witnesses and the 7th Day Adventists sprung from the same source: 19th Second Adventism.

Unlike Jehovah's Witnesses however, the Adventists stopped making end-time predictions quite a while ago.

Farkel

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    So she started talking to him and he started showing her proof from the bible that, 1.she shouldn't eat pork

Yup... someone would have to restrain me... if someone said that to me I would have the uncontrollable urge to come back with a shaker of Bacon Bits and starts "Blessing" the crowd.

Bless you my son *** Shake **** *** Shake **** *** Shake ****

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Truth be known if he hadn't said anything I wouldn't have been able to tell that adventists had a different diet than other people. The food was like any other gathering i've been at.

Didn't you notice that the "meat" in those casseroles was actually TVP (textured vegetable protein)?

• Swan
    Swan

Adventists, Millerites, Worldwide Church of God, and JWs are all branches of the same tree. Adventists have better cereal, though. JWs tried Miracle Wheat, but it just never caught on like Kellogg's Corn Flakes. Makes you wonder where they came up with the name Fruit Loops, huh?

As an experiment, try setting one of those pamphlets on fire. If they are demonized they won't burn, or so I was told.

Tammy

• boy@crossroads
    boy@crossroads

Yea, it was a pretty interesting experience.

There were some other things that were said that were interesting too but forgot to post. Like their view on hell (hades) is exactly the same as witnesses. There view on clean worship is the same, no smoking or heavy drinking. Oh also, the husband I talked to said another reason he was adventists was b/c, "its the only religion he knew of that actually studies the bible in depth".rriiiiiiiggggghhhhht

Also something else that I found interesting is that even the inside of the church was somewhat similiar to the witnesses. The adventist church is like a hybrid of a methodist and a kingdom hall. You know how kingdom halls have fake plants in them {supposedly to look something like paradise}, the adventist church I went to also had something to that affect although it looked better than a kingdom hall as they had fake stones along with the fake plants. I find that interesting b/c other churches you go to are very vertical to so respect to god being superior to us humans but churches like witnesses and adventist set a heavenly goal of paradise so their churches are designed to look like paradise or something like it.

• Odrade
    Odrade
    Unlike Jehovah's Witnesses however, the Adventists stopped making end-time predictions quite a while ago.

Fark, one of the things that gave me shivers listening to the Adventist program was how often they referred to living in the end times. They may not be making specific predictions any longer, but they definitely believe that the end is near, near, near. Same old, same old.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit