Continuum, Consciousness, Being

by onacruse 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• onacruse
    onacruse

Aalena, welcome to JWD!

Do we live on after we die? We all do in one form or another. In my father's funeral notice I wrote that one of the greatest comforts I had was to know that my father had a key part in shaping the life that was ahead of me and his influence would forever be imprinted in my life. In that sense, he will always live after death.

Yes, he will. And my condolences for the loss of your father.

Many have said (especially starting with the Greek philosophers), that "thought" is what defines the universe. Indeed, the "Logos" concept of the Bible implies the same: "God thought, therefore it is."

If so, our own continuing self-awareness of our dead parents, family, friends...would suggest that they too continue to exist, because of our thinking of them. Ernst Mach and Peter Ouspensky are some modern philosophers who express similar ideas.

I'm not saying I'm at all sure about this! Let's just call it a bit of "where does this take us?"

Craig

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Can it truly be said that, when burned out, the candle-flame is "gone"?

Let me answer for Alan. Yes.

• SixofNine
  • AlanF
    AlanF

Onacruse said:

: Can it truly be said that, when burned out, the candle-flame is "gone"?

Of course. What's the essence of a flame? Heat and light. You burn your fingers if you hold them over a wick that's supporting a flame. If you hold your fingers over a cold wick, are you fingers burned? Do you feel any heat. Do you see any light? No. The essence of flame isn't there. It doesn't exist over a cold wick, before you light the candle or after you extinguish it.

: My perception is that the candle-flame was simply a temporal effect of specific elevated thermodynamic processes,

Precisely my point.

: the consequences of which continue on unabated in the energy flow-and-ebb of the material universe (local Brownian motion, for example).

Not so. Certain consequences continue, such as the light perhaps propagating through space, or the combustion products dissipating through the air.

I think you may be confusing the consequences of a process with the process itself. If you have a headache, you moan and groan because of the pain. When the pain goes away, do you still have it? Of course not, and it's silly even to pose that question. You might retain a memory of the pain, but it's certainly not the same as the pain being there. Pain, of course, is a kind of process.

: That we (within the extremely limited sensory apparatus of our physical organism) simply "cease to see" the flame, per se, means only that that particular manifestation of the 'essentialness' of the flame has disappeared from our awareness.

This sounds like metaphysical gobble-de-goop to me, along the lines of "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is there any sound?" Well of course there's sound, because sound is the process of vibrations propagating through the air. Just because no human happens to hear it doesn't mean it isn't there. And of course, when the sound vibrations die out, and are lost in the background noise, the sound of the tree falling no longer exists. Flames and people and consciousness work the same when they dissipate into the background noise.

AlanF

• onacruse
    onacruse
    Onacruse said:

: Can it truly be said that, when burned out, the candle-flame is "gone"?

Of course. What's the essence of a flame? Heat and light. You burn your fingers if you hold them over a wick that's supporting a flame. If you hold your fingers over a cold wick, are you fingers burned? Do you feel any heat. Do you see any light? No. The essence of flame isn't there. It doesn't exist over a cold wick, before you light the candle or after you extinguish it.

It's all a matter of "perspective." Imagine, for the sake of conversation, that your own sensory perception apparatus enabled you to "see" somewhat farther into the infrared and ultraviolet bandwidths of the EMR spectrum. Then you'd see a "continuum" of the process of the candle-flame, long after that flame itself was "gone." And, if you could fly into the stratosphere, the phenomenon of that flame would still be traceable. And thence, following that same "flame," in the core of the Sun, would be virtually indiscernible. In a flask of liquid helium, such an "observation" would be like a nuclear explosion. But the thermodynamic "essence" of that process continues on, nonetheless, regardless of our own limited abilities to track it.

: the consequences of which continue on unabated in the energy flow-and-ebb of the material universe (local Brownian motion, for example).

Not so. Certain consequences continue, such as the light perhaps propagating through space, or the combustion products dissipating through the air.

But those consequences are exactly the same as the processes which produced them. Cause and effect, effect and cause. In what way do "cause" and "effect" differ? In what way do they cease to be manifestations of the same "reality"?

I think you may be confusing the consequences of a process with the process itself. If you have a headache, you moan and groan because of the pain. When the pain goes away, do you still have it? Of course not, and it's silly even to pose that question. You might retain a memory of the pain, but it's certainly not the same as the pain being there. Pain, of course, is a kind of process.

No, I'm not confused on this. Pain is a process, but a process that relates directly back to our individual "being." Can I remember the pain of my left knee being replaced? Certainly I can. It's not instant to my brain, but my memory of the pain of that surgery is as clear as if it happened yesterday. It's like the "smoke" of the candle.

: That we (within the extremely limited sensory apparatus of our physical organism) simply "cease to see" the flame, per se, means only that that particular manifestation of the 'essentialness' of the flame has disappeared from our awareness.

This sounds like metaphysical gobble-de-goop to me,

Immanuel Kant, Ludwig Wittengstein, and others, would take issue with you on this. However, it seems that they don't post on this board.

along the lines of "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is there any sound?" Well of course there's sound, because sound is the process of vibrations propagating through the air. Just because no human happens to hear it doesn't mean it isn't there. And of course, when the sound vibrations die out, and are lost in the background noise, the sound of the tree falling no longer exists.

You know as well as I that the energy vibrations of such an event never die out. That they might become imperceptible is a measure of you and me; not the energy event itself.

Flames and people and consciousness work the same when they dissipate into the background noise.

OK, then...what do you define as "background noise"?

Craig (of the "mental-masturbating" class LOLOL)

• Farkel
    Farkel

Alan,

: This sounds like metaphysical gobble-de-goop to me, along the lines of "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is there any sound?" Well of course there's sound, because sound is the process of vibrations propagating through the air. Just because no human happens to hear it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Of course, there is sound when there is someone to hear or measure it. As an engineer and as a scientist, you must admit that your evidence for sound happening when a tree falls in the forest without observers is merely empirical and supposedly built on evidence where people were there to observe that very thing, and cannot be tested, nor observed. It is also based upon the tons of evidence we have that when humans record a tree falling there IS sound. Every single time. But that is based upon humans recording trees falling. It doesn't preclude the possibility that trees can fall and make NO sound. To put it another way, if a tree falls in the forrest and their is only a deaf guy to observe it, does it make a sound? Depends upon your point of view, doesn't it? Given there was ONLY a DEAF guy there, the tree didn't make any sound whatsoever. Since that was the only frame of reference in my example, you could not successfully argue (based on that situation) that the tree made any sound.

All the nonsense aside, my good friend, sometimes you just need to take that nerdy hat off your head and think in a new box. Even if that new box goes against your grain and really looks goofy. Little children do that all the time, and THEY are our gurus! Every great Master said to be like kids and act like kids. This includes Jesus.

Get out the lamp shade, put it on your head and dance, Alan!

Farkel

• avengers
    avengers

After reading this thread the only thing to do is to have a beer.
    Oh damn it's still early in the morning. Think I'll wait a while.
    Do'nt wanna be unconscious before noon, or do I?

mmmm. don't know.

Andy.

• gumby
    gumby

Well.....I don't know about a tree falling and making no noise in the absense of someone to hear it........but I DO KNOW we can't be sure the light in a fridge REALLY goes off after the door is shut if there's no one inside to authenticate it.

I'll say this once again.......if our energy continues to exist after we die........yet are consciousness exists no longer, then why give a shit? Who cares if we become something else with no relatable consiousness? I sure the hell don't. It sounds like a sucky worthless hope........if anyone hopes in this that is.

Gumby

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

My DNA exists. It's probably on everything I've touched, tasted and copulated with.

Consciousness: I am writing this now.

For how much longer I can pull off this 'being' gig, will be a matter of good health and genetics.

I'd even question that.

My sister: never had a chance to even entertain the thought or processes of the three words posted by Onacruse.

That's OK. I'm not alone. And that situation unto itself, is NOT unique.

People die everyday, and by the second. I've already lost count since I wrote this post.

Being: myself.

I wouldn't wish myself upon anyone.

• Obviously Secret
    Obviously Secret

I never really liked the idea of me having all my thoughts connected perfectly after my brain has turned into bug food. Seems kind of hard ya know? sorry for the sarcasm lol but anyways Just gotta wait and see. Nobody, and I mean nobody knows if there is or if there isn't cause we are all alive lol. Only the dead guys know ya? However, I like to believe sometimes that there is life after death.

I'm on clouds, with the girl that I love always next to me. And I am eating brownies for eternity. My God forget the WTS interpretation of the new world, building houses for eternity. That's my heaven. My goodness I feel like puttin some cyanide in my kool-aid just to get there quicker. Brownies for forever MY GOD MY NEW RELIGION YES!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit